No 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
No but I intend to get one in the future 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 72

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 5:42 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
The second reason is that I have very poor vision in my right eye, and even with glasses on I'd imagine my peripheral vision wouldn't suffice, or at very least it would be worse than that of someone with 20/20 vision.

I have bad vision in my right eye only and wear glasses for driving. I seem to cope fine? Im still anxious about judging distances, but I havent hit anything yet so, so far so good.

I got my license at 16 like normal and I have to drive or I wouldnt be able to do anything or get anywhere. Im not really sure how people manage without a car. Like, how do you get anywhere??
Me and driving have a love hate relationship. I love car rides, so I want to love long distance driving, but a part of me is always mildly on the edge of panic at the same time. This is only aggravated by the fact that I am seriously directionally challenged and get super anxious driving in/to unfamiliar places.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 7:16 am

graceksjp wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
The second reason is that I have very poor vision in my right eye, and even with glasses on I'd imagine my peripheral vision wouldn't suffice, or at very least it would be worse than that of someone with 20/20 vision.

I have bad vision in my right eye only and wear glasses for driving. I seem to cope fine? Im still anxious about judging distances, but I havent hit anything yet so, so far so good.

I got my license at 16 like normal and I have to drive or I wouldnt be able to do anything or get anywhere. Im not really sure how people manage without a car. Like, how do you get anywhere??
Me and driving have a love hate relationship. I love car rides, so I want to love long distance driving, but a part of me is always mildly on the edge of panic at the same time. This is only aggravated by the fact that I am seriously directionally challenged and get super anxious driving in/to unfamiliar places.

I live in the city, so busses and public transport take me most anywhere I need to go. Except work (early start) which is only a few km from my house so I either get an uber or ride my bike.

I guess the thing for me is that there are too many significant barriers that just make me think life is telling me I should avoid driving. If it was ONLY the vision that was the problem and I had access to a car, I'd probably give it a shot. If my vision was fine but I didn't have access to a car, I'd probably give it a shot. If I my vision was fine, I had access to a car and I wasn't unsure whether I had the motor skills/wouldn't be too anxious on the road to be a successful driver, I'd give it a shot. The fact that I have so much working against me all in conjunction with each other makes me think a car is neither viable (I don't make enough to afford a car), nor safe for me to try driving. I would hate to put other people at risk just so I can get from point A to point B. I don't have the money to pay for accidents, and I certainly don't want someone's death on my conscience or to be permanently disabled from an avoidable accident.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 7:17 am

Also worth noting that I've been told by my optometrist that I'm legally blind in my right eye.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 8:41 am

I never got the chance to learn.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

firemonkey wrote:
The only driving I did was down a private country lane with my father as a teenager. I have slow reactions, am not good at judging distances and have poor hand-eye coordination. I am aware I would be death on the roads if I ever got behind the wheel of a car on the main road.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to write about myself.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:20 pm

I'd love to learn to drive, but it costs about £30 an hour (~$40) and my family can't help me as half of them live the other side of the country and the other half abroad. I took driving lessons once a week earlier this year, when I still had money, and did terribly. I'd do better in an automatic, but we don't really have them in this country.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2018, 1:24 pm

I got my License since I was 18. I drive almost daily. I would not drive if the roads were icy, the car I drive is in repairs/inspected (The car has to be inspected to meet the safety requirements every year according to Pennsylvania Law.) and whenever my mom has appointments to go to.

With my experience, it is hard to drive at night, especially in the rain and the roads are wet with the reflection of the headlights from other vehicles. Whenever it comes to unfamiliar roads or roads that I haven't been on before, I use my GPS on my phone.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2018, 7:11 pm

I've been driving for 30+ years now. I drove more when I was younger. I've no issue driving long distances, 6+ hours at a time, though my legs don't like that sort of thing.

I, too, don't like driving in unfamiliar territory, but if I've got GPS I can manage.

I drive the 401 which isn't for the faint of heart. It's the busiest highway in the world.

I drive less than I used to. Fewer places to go, less desire to do so. Also, there are some days I know I don't have the attention span to safely operate a vehicle.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

I do, and I'm okay with just driving around town/in familiar places. But driving in unfamiliar places and on interstates definitely gives me a lot of anxiety and I avoid it. I have poor spacial awareness (especially at night...the lights on cars just seem to blind me and I can never tell how close or far away that light is), so I really avoid any roads where I have to merge into traffic. I honestly don't think I would have been capable of driving if I had lived in the days before GPS/Google maps, because I can't ever find my way through an unfamiliar area without it. I'd be totally lost and have a panic attack.

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2018, 3:04 am

hannahjrob wrote:
I do, and I'm okay with just driving around town/in familiar places. But driving in unfamiliar places and on interstates definitely gives me a lot of anxiety and I avoid it. I have poor spacial awareness (especially at night...the lights on cars just seem to blind me and I can never tell how close or far away that light is), so I really avoid any roads where I have to merge into traffic. I honestly don't think I would have been capable of driving if I had lived in the days before GPS/Google maps, because I can't ever find my way through an unfamiliar area without it. I'd be totally lost and have a panic attack.

Exact same story here!

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 3:56 am

For some reason, I can't cast a vote...

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 6:01 am

I'm not even going to try to learn because I don't think a dyspraxic person who's easily distracted and finds looking at the road boring and overstimulating (I know those two things contradict) and has light sensitivity ought to be on the road.
It does help that I like walking and am good at it. I wish I liked buses but I run against people who don't know my age and that's a pet peeve of mine. I hate being asked about child fare at 30.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 10:27 am

I have not driven on a consistent basis since 2008 after having a bad wreck which made me feel psychological unpleasant shall we say..

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 10:34 am

I don't drive.
I may plan to learn somehow in case of need, but no licenses would be involved.

If anything, I highly doubt I'd ever own any four or more wheeled vehicle within my lifetime.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

I got my license and I still don't really drive ... xD Literally I had it for almost 2 months and my parents still don't let me drive their cars and go out of their way not to. I guess I'm considered an "emergency driver" for all that its worth but driving is the purpose of getting one's license. Literally this is why I didn't want to get my license because it served no purpose being in the situation that I'm in where I still can't really go anywhere but its good to have anyway incase of emergencies I guess

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 11:49 am

^^They're good for emergencies, yes. And good for ID, too.

I hope you get to really drive some day.

When I got my license, I felt really liberated. I was an old man of 37 when I got my license.