Are people with Asperger's Syndrome and Autism unattractive?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Nov 2018, 9:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Attitude and behavior play major roles in attractiveness. You could look like a swimsuit model, but if you are arrogant, obnoxious, or whiny, then you will actually drive people away who might otherwise be attracted to you.

On the flip side, you could look like you were raised by wolves, but if you come across as confident, optimistic, and generally pleasant, you will still attract others.

Physical beauty is not the be-all and do-all of attractiveness; attitude and behavior are important too!

This is true, but you forgot to mention one very important detail: social cues. If you are awkward and miss them, as most autists will often be, that's also very, very unattractive to most NTs, no matter how amazing you may think your personality is in other areas.

Honestly, things would be a lot less complicated if people would just be more open with how they feel rather than expect you to pick up on their subtle hints.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 9:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
The OP is discussing attractiveness in the context of physical looks.

If you are physically attractive you are likely to recieve preliminary interest. If your personality is off putting people that interest will most often be short lived.

I knew what the OP meant.

But he shouldn't really say "are people with ASD unattractive" because there are people here who are sensitive and self-conscious about their looks and might take it the wrong way.

If you think this or any thread is too triggering go to the moderator attention thread or PM a moderator.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 11:39 am

Unlike folks with Downs Syndrome folks on autism spectrum do not have a distinctive look that sets them apart from the rest of the population. They look like most people in actual features, and don't look like each other than any more than NTs look like each other. And ASD folks, if anything, may be more likely to be even featured, and delicate featured, and symmetrical featured, on average than NTs. But we do tend to dress casually, not comb our hair, and not keep our shirt tails tucked in. Lol!

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 3:08 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I seem to think I and other people with asperger's and autism look unattractive even to NT people, Why is this ?

Most aspies are quite normal looking and some are even really good looking. It's rather the behaviour, lack of emotional expressions and missing eye contact that causes problems. But Apergers isn't just one thing and all of the problems with NTs depend also on some of the specific problems that you have.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2018, 7:41 pm

Im autistic but im attractive,in fact many people tell me iam beautiful

I know Im beautiful too but I do take a lot of time applying makeup and making sure I look well groomed not to impress anyone but just cos I enjoy making myself beautiful

I have golden wavy hair shoulder length and styled and I have wide brown eyes.
Apparently I was naturally very beautiful as a child too and people often commented to my mother on how beautiful I looked.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2018, 9:45 am

Not all are unattractive, I suppose?
Multiple guys were attracted to me when I was in highschool, even when I did not put any makeup on.
But they probably like me due to my interest in science and gaming, rather than my looks.
I'm not sure.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 11:15 am

A lot of people on this forum are quite attractive.

I don't feel like I'm very attractive, but girls tend to tell me otherwise. *shrugs*

But as others have said, looks aren't everything. Looks can hook them in, but if you can't keep their attention, it doesn't matter for much.

There's a guy at my work right now who's kind of funny looking, but he always has a flock of cute girls following him around.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 11:26 am

IstominFan wrote:
I'm not attractive. I'm short (5' 1") and look younger than my age. At best, I'm cute, not pretty.

Why? Quite many guys are into rather cute girls. Causes them to be even more protective.

SuSaNnA wrote:
But they probably like me due to my interest in science and gaming, rather than my looks.

Wrong.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 9:54 am

That is what I would be afraid of. I wouldn't want someone who is overprotective of me to the point that it would take away the progress I have made over the past five years. Of course, I wouldn't a cold, uncaring person, but I also wouldn't want someone to say, based on my differences, "Oh, should you drive a car?" or "Can you do anything?" That put me behind everyone else nearly all my life.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2018, 10:03 am

I have Down Syndrome and I am on the Autistic spectrum. I am sick of hearing the typical comments of: man up, toughen up princess or get over your Down Syndrome! Having Autism and Down Syndrome is unattractive to people who do not have Autism and Down Syndrome!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 6:01 pm

Aspie19828 wrote:
I have Down Syndrome and I am on the Autistic spectrum. I am sick of hearing the typical comments of: man up, toughen up princess or get over your Down Syndrome! Having Autism and Down Syndrome is unattractive to people who do not have Autism and Down Syndrome!

Do people really say'get over your Down Syndrome'? :o Tell them to get over their ignorance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:41 am

I think that's a very broad generalization that you've made. People on the spectrum are more likely to be attractive than they are to be common. I'm one of those types who doesn't really give a flying shag about fashion. Maybe I did when I was younger and I might again at some point, but not at this point in time. I have Beatle hair when I'm not wearing something that looks like a German helmet. I guess the right events need to happen in order for me to care about fashion and show my hair once again. I guess that I'll need to see where my circumstances lead me in Early 2019.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:45 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Aspie19828 wrote:

Do people really say'get over your Down Syndrome'? :o Tell them to get over their ignorance.

I second that. I think that a lot of people need to get over their ignorance. Let's hope that those people never become president.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 12:59 am

Attractiveness is subjective.