Why is Asperger's so much more common these days?

Page 9 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 3:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I forget the name. But this person was also into "autistic supremacy," and said similar things, and was similarly abusive to those who didn't share his opinion.

Yeah. At first I thought "who?", but then I thought of that guy (am pretty sure I know who you're talking about). But I cant remember his name either. Even tried finding his posts (his whole brief tenure on WP was recent), but it got too time consuming, and I gave up looking. He had similar views, a similar heroic sounding nickname, and similar abusive style.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 5:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I forget the name. But this person was also into "autistic supremacy," and said similar things, and was similarly abusive to those who didn't share his opinion.

Yeah. At first I thought "who?", but then I thought of that guy (am pretty sure I know who you're talking about). But I cant remember his name either. Even tried finding his posts (his whole brief tenure on WP was recent), but it got too time consuming, and I gave up looking. He had similar views, a similar heroic sounding nickname, and similar abusive style.

Every once in a while I have a little brainstorm. I searched my own posts for the word "evolution" and found: viewtopic.php?t=338523&hilit=Evolution

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 8:49 am

I think I've got my answers now after 8 pages.

I was just surprised to find how common Asperger's is, more common than I thought it was. I'd say I know about 5 different (NT) people who have a child on the spectrum, and 5 is quite a lot being so I don't know that many people with kids. Plus 2 kids (both teenagers now) were diagnosed with Asperger's who are relatives of relatives but not related to me, if that makes sense. So I'd say that's 7 children I know of who are on the spectrum. I've never met them but I've met their parents in the past.

When I was growing up I was told that in nearly every school there's approximately only 1-2 children on the spectrum (in smaller schools it's 1, in bigger schools it's 2). It made ASDs seem so rare, but these days I can imagine there are more diagnosis of ASDs than that in schools.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:06 am

I dunno.

I don't have many friends with children.

But thinking about the grown ups who work for the company I have worked for for the last ten plus years. There were three people who I know of who I understand were actually diagnosed with aspergers or HFA (actually four if I count myself), and at least one more I would bet money on being an aspie, and maybe couple other possible aspies.

Five folks I am pretty solid were aspies out of hundred or more folks that I was aquainted with as fellow employees. There was also one middle aged guy who I heard was officially dxd with ADHD. Anyway we are talking like five percent of a company's workforce. That IS more than I in Sixty that its supposed to be in the general population. So maybe it is more common than its supposed to be. Or maybe our company attracts autistics (most wash out, but some of the actual and suspected aspies survived pretty well).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:20 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
The exams got easier to pass :jester:

I'm crap at tests and even I passed :twisted:

I think there's actually a lot of truth in that.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 10:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
The exams got easier to pass :jester:

I'm crap at tests and even I passed :twisted:

I think there's actually a lot of truth in that.

I'm glad you picked up that , not everything I post is bollocks

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 8:14 am

lostproperty wrote:
I think one of the main reasons is that it's become increasingly more difficult for people to live up to the expectations of what is considered to be normal, because it's an ever narrowing concept with the emphasis on selling yourself as socially active at all times, so more and more of us are going to fall outside of that ideal.

If that’s true then it means AS is socially construct.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:49 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
lostproperty wrote:
I think one of the main reasons is that it's become increasingly more difficult for people to live up to the expectations of what is considered to be normal, because it's an ever narrowing concept with the emphasis on selling yourself as socially active at all times, so more and more of us are going to fall outside of that ideal.

If that’s true then it means AS is socially construct.

It is, ASD’s are assessed by behavoirs.

This is the idea behind the social model of disability.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman