Page 13 of 13 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 6:59 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
'Jeopardy!' winner apologizes, says hand signal was not 'white power' symbol
Quote:
A contestant on "Jeopardy!" took to social media to denounce white supremacy and racism after he was accused of flashing a hand gesture during the show that many interpreted as being similar to a that of a white power symbol. Nearly 600 former "Jeopardy!" contestants also called out the game show, saying it was within the show's power to edit out the gesture -- something they claim it has done before.

Kelly Donohoe held up three fingers across his chest with his thumb and index finger folded together during Tuesday's episode of "Jeopardy!" He had held up one and two fingers in previous episodes to indicate the number of wins he had achieved, according to multiple reports.

But some fans thought it might be an "OK" symbol. The gesture became fodder for a trolling campaign on the website 4chan a few years ago to dupe viewers into thinking the fingers formed the letters "W'' and "P'' to mean "white power." But the Anti-Defamation League said extremists ended up adopting it as a sincere expression of white supremacy.

The gesture, when used for that purpose, generally is presented to clearly show the circle formed by the thumb and index finger together. Donohue held his fingers sideways across his chest, so such a circle would not be clearly visible.

Boston.com reports that Donohue initially responded to the controversy by saying on Facebook, “That’s a 3. No more. No less." But he was reportedly criticized for not having a more forceful condemnation. That post is no longer visible. Also now missing from his public-facing Facebook page is a Facebook cover photo with an image of Frank Sinatra making a similar gesture.

What has this got to do with so called SJWs?? drifting off topic

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 12:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
'Jeopardy!' winner apologizes, says hand signal was not 'white power' symbol
Quote:
A contestant on "Jeopardy!" took to social media to denounce white supremacy and racism after he was accused of flashing a hand gesture during the show that many interpreted as being similar to a that of a white power symbol. Nearly 600 former "Jeopardy!" contestants also called out the game show, saying it was within the show's power to edit out the gesture -- something they claim it has done before.

Kelly Donohoe held up three fingers across his chest with his thumb and index finger folded together during Tuesday's episode of "Jeopardy!" He had held up one and two fingers in previous episodes to indicate the number of wins he had achieved, according to multiple reports.

But some fans thought it might be an "OK" symbol. The gesture became fodder for a trolling campaign on the website 4chan a few years ago to dupe viewers into thinking the fingers formed the letters "W'' and "P'' to mean "white power." But the Anti-Defamation League said extremists ended up adopting it as a sincere expression of white supremacy.

The gesture, when used for that purpose, generally is presented to clearly show the circle formed by the thumb and index finger together. Donohue held his fingers sideways across his chest, so such a circle would not be clearly visible.

Boston.com reports that Donohue initially responded to the controversy by saying on Facebook, “That’s a 3. No more. No less." But he was reportedly criticized for not having a more forceful condemnation. That post is no longer visible. Also now missing from his public-facing Facebook page is a Facebook cover photo with an image of Frank Sinatra making a similar gesture.

What has this got to do with so called SJWs?? drifting off topic

IMHO he has nothing to apologize for because it was not even the OK signal and even if it was there was nothing to apologize for. SJW’s is a pejorative for finding offense in everything. A few white supremacists used an OK signal as their thing and we are all supposed to give it up and cede the meaning of the gesture to them, if that is not SJW mentality, I do not not know what is. And this guy felt the need to give a slobbering apology is enabling and cowering to them. Facebook taking down Frank Sinatra because he made a gesture he had no way of knowing would be used a supremacist gesture decades later is enabling cowering to SJW’s.

In other words both the apology and the take down are exactly the type of responses I intended this thread to be about.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2021, 6:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
And this guy felt the need to give a slobbering apology is enabling and cowering to them. Facebook taking down Frank Sinatra because he made a gesture he had no way of knowing would be used a supremacist gesture decades later is enabling cowering to SJW’s.

Ummm people were not cancelling him, they contacted the TV station/program asking why his hand signals were not edited out? there was a precedence as this has happened before where a gameshow had a white supremacist and they did edit out the hand signals.

Try not buy into the SJW narrative too much. The gameshow contestant just said this was a misunderstanding and apologised if he casued offence. There was no "cowering" as you claim.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 9:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
And this guy felt the need to give a slobbering apology is enabling and cowering to them. Facebook taking down Frank Sinatra because he made a gesture he had no way of knowing would be used a supremacist gesture decades later is enabling cowering to SJW’s.

Ummm people were not cancelling him, they contacted the TV station/program asking why his hand signals were not edited out? there was a precedence as this has happened before where a gameshow had a white supremacist and they did edit out the hand signals.

Try not buy into the SJW narrative too much. The gameshow contestant just said this was a misunderstanding and apologised if he casued offence. There was no "cowering" as you claim.

True this was not cancellation of a person but it was a cancillation of “speech”. Besides this is not a cancillation thread per se.

It was not an offensive gesture and should never have been edited out or apologized for. His original explanation clearing up the misunderstanding should have been enough. The former contestants and now Donahue let a few supremacists define a gesture used as a positive for decades, that is a form of cowering.

Donahue edited out a gesture Sinatra made not Sinatra himself a misogynist who palled around with the Mafia. This demonstrates the lunacy of this era.

Thankfully we do not belong to a website with this mentality. There are no calls to stop using “Autistic” despite it being used as an insult far more often then the Ok gesture is used to signal white supremacy. There is not any demand of note to drop “Aspie” or “Aspergers” despite Hans Asperger being complicit with actual Nazis and those terms occasionally being used in ableist ways here. Since the revelations about Hans Asperger I stopped calling myself that, but I do not demand others not use them because I understand no offense is meant. Why have people stopped understanding this concept?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:28 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Thankfully we do not belong to a website with this mentality. There are no calls to stop using “Autistic” despite it being used as an insult far more often then the Ok gesture is used to signal white supremacy. There is not any demand of note to drop “Aspie” or “Aspergers” despite Hans Asperger being complicit with actual Nazis and those terms occasionally being used in ableist ways here. Since the revelations about Hans Asperger I stopped calling myself that, but I do not demand others not use them because I understand no offense is meant. Why have people stopped understanding this concept?

I think "Aspie" has been accepted universally among the online autistic community so doubt it's going anywhere. I have noticed since 2011 that calling oneself "autistic" has gained traction via social media to the point any pejorative association is less important. A number of Youtubers who I have watched (and enjoyed their content) self-disclosed themselves as autistic which blew my mind since none of them appear (at least to me) to have had autism. I doubt they would have done that in 2011 when it was more likely they would have kept their diagnosis private.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 4:30 pm

I love this woman's rant about (some) feminists' misandry, and the sexist double-standards against men.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 8:13 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

I think "Aspie" has been accepted universally among the online autistic community so doubt it's going anywhere. I have noticed since 2011 that calling oneself "autistic" has gained traction via social media to the point any pejorative association is less important. A number of Youtubers who I have watched (and enjoyed their content) self-disclosed themselves as autistic which blew my mind since none of them appear (at least to me) to have had autism. I doubt they would have done that in 2011 when it was more likely they would have kept their diagnosis private.

I agree that in general autistics have not let the ones using the term “autistic” as an insult define the term for us. A similar reappropriation has occurred with the term “queer”. This is a good thing and I am sorry to see the opposite occurring with the ok gesture.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2021, 4:52 am

Massachusetts' Brandeis University lists 'policeman,' 'congressman' on 'oppressive' language list

Quote:
Policeman," "congressman" and even the gender-neutral descriptor "freshman" have been deemed "oppressive" at Massachusetts’ Brandeis University, a small, elite private school in Waltham, because they are "gender exclusive."

If there’s a campus barbershop, it shouldn’t be talking any "walk-in" appointments, as the term has been deemed "ableist."

But you might say the PARC’s "oppressive language list" is "killing it" in the push for progressive limitations on speech – except you can’t, because "if someone is doing well, we don’t need to equate that to murder!"

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t say "rule of thumb."

This expression comes from an old British law allowing men to beat their wives with sticks no wider than their thumb," PARC’s list explains.

Say "general rule" instead.

Even the woke language of yesteryear has become problematic.

The school suggests moving beyond the term "trigger warning," because it can be connected to violence, the same as calling someone who has experienced trauma a "victim" or "survivor."

"Picnic" is also taboo, according to the PARC.

The term picnic is often associated with lynchings of Black people in the United States, during which White spectators were said to have watched while eating, referring to them as picnics or other terms involving racial slurs against Black people."

"Long time no see" and "no can do" are also out – because they "originate from stereotypes making fun of non-native English speakers, particularly applied to indigenous people and Asians."

Folks should also be wary of their regional dialects, because "you guys" is oppressive, but "y’all" is not.

:roll:

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 8:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

"Police officer" has been preferred to "policeman" in many style guides for decades, ever since the late 1970's or so.

I also haven't seen "congressman" in a long time. (Usually I don't see "congressperson" either -- usually it's either "Senator" or "Representative," as the case may be, or sometimes "member of Congress.")

Why is this news?

I do consider gender-inclusive language to have been an improvement, by the way.

Quote:
As a rule of thumb, you shouldn’t say "rule of thumb."

This expression comes from an old British law allowing men to beat their wives with sticks no wider than their thumb," PARC’s list explains.

That's an incorrect folk etymology, according to Wikipedia and The Baltimore Sun.

Quote:
The school suggests moving beyond the term "trigger warning," because it can be connected to violence,

I've always felt that the term "trigger warning" was a bit over the top. I prefer "content warning" instead.

Quote:
"Picnic" is also taboo, according to the PARC.

The term picnic is often associated with lynchings of Black people in the United States, during which White spectators were said to have watched while eating, referring to them as picnics or other terms involving racial slurs against Black people."

Another incorrect folk etymology, according to Reuters.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 10:50 pm

[quote="ASPartOfMe"]Massachusetts' Brandeis University lists 'policeman,' 'congressman' on 'oppressive' language list
[quote]

Wow! even I am completely ignorant about many of these

picnic, "Long time no see" etc

I was reading an interesting article about a gender-queer mother who'se child lived an entirely gender neutral life for their first four years of childhood has revealed their firstborn’s preferred pronouns would be male.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... f538af1c1f

Incredibly this may be a thing in the future where a child will have to decide themselves what gender they will choose by picking the pronouns they will use.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 8:10 pm

Cornell library removes Gettysburg Address, Lincoln bust

Quote:
“Someone complained, and it was gone.”

That’s all Cornell University biology Professor Randy Wayne said he has been able to determine so far about the whereabouts of a longtime display in the Ivy League school’s Kroch Library of a bust of President Abraham Lincoln in front of a bronzed Gettysburg Address plaque.

Wayne, a frequent visitor to the library, which houses Cornell’s rare and manuscript collections, said when he stopped in several weeks ago he noticed the display had been disappeared.

He asked the librarians about it, and they had no details to provide, except to say it was removed after some sort of complaint, he said. It’s been replaced with, “well, nothing,” Wayne said.