The problem of cowering to and enabling SJW's

Page 1 of 13 [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:01 pm

Controversial 'Dreaming of a white Dorchester' ad pulled

Quote:
The ad that reads "Dreaming of a white Dorchester" was used as a promotional piece for a holiday party.

It was one of several graphics that changed the words of Christmas songs to include "Dorchester."

Another one read, "May your Dorchesters be merry and bright."

After some outrage over racial connotations, the historical society apologized for the oversight and pulled the image.

WTF?? The ad references snow not the KKK(SMH)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 7:04 pm

It's getting way out of hand dude , it's PC gone mad.

It clearly triggered some SJW 8O They used the word white it must be racist :twisted:

Even if it was a racial slur you can't prove it , I see the injustice here.

Maybe it's a PR stunt. Are adverts deliberately being racist?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2018, 10:20 pm

Maybe err on the side of not flirting with racism? I don't see what's lost here.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 2:45 am

AspE wrote:
Maybe err on the side of not flirting with racism? I don't see what's lost here.

There is no flirting with racism, there is nothing racist about saying white when you are referencing snow. When does it end? That was a rhetorical question, it seems like the answer is never. Maybe we should stop referencing snow when talking about Christmas, Why glorify a substance that causes all sort of accidents that result in injury and death? Even more then that snowflake is an insult.

What’s lost here?
Context

Why are we even asking this question on a autism forum where most of the members have faced negative consequences from being misinterpreted and often discuss crippling anxiety, a constant feeling of walking on eggshells out of fear being misinterprated.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 3:46 am

Should they ban the playing of Cream's "White room" on the grounds of racism or the selling of white bread,white chocolate etc ? Sometimes things are just white without their being any racial intent meant.

I'm very liberal and strongly anti racism , but let's be sensible about such matters and not dumb down the serious issue of racism.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 7:53 am

My eyes skipped OP's text initially, and I read the text on the image first.
And couldn't tell if it was meant as racist or as talking about snow.

And I guess that's where the problem is: things have benn appropriated in so many ways that it's hard to guess which way a thing is meant.
For some, it's *only* ever the original context, others are used to consider other contexts, and again others will insist that context doesn't matter, but that anything that can be offensive/racist in some context is *only* offensive/racist.

The idea that words, images, etc. Even can have one exclusive interpretation is pretty short-sighted though.
Things are ambiguous. So... No, this won't end anytime soon, because the meaning of things will have to be continuously negotiated.

I remember a parent in my school complaining about some relatively archaic words in a german children's song - because she associated it with Nazi greetings. Which wasn't totally wrong. However, the word ('Heil') wasn't in itself the nazi greeting, and in the given context had nothing to do with Naziism other than being part of the language the Nazis used... Well... I guess German needs to be banned. It's an awful language anyway.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:24 am

This Gap ad was pulled as it had a backlash for being racist

“meet the kids who are proving that girls can do anything’,

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 8:42 am

Here is some more racism for ya

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 10:32 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspE wrote:

There is no flirting with racism, there is nothing racist about saying white when you are referencing snow. When does it end? That was a rhetorical question, it seems like the answer is never. Maybe we should stop referencing snow when talking about Christmas, Why glorify a substance that causes all sort of accidents that result in injury and death? Even more then that snowflake is an insult.

What’s lost here?
Context

Why are we even asking this question on a autism forum where most of the members have faced negative consequences from being misinterpreted and often discuss crippling anxiety, a constant feeling of walking on eggshells out of fear being misinterprated.

There's no war on Christmas either. But somehow the right gets upset about it every year.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 7:37 pm

AspE wrote:
There's no war on Christmas either. But somehow the right gets upset about it every year.

Are you sure, the original ad said "holiday" party :D

I am Jewish and Christmas used to bother me, it was another reason to feel all left out. People wishing me a "Merry Christmas" assuming I celebrated it bothered me also. I did not tell them the were misreligoining me but I felt like it. Then I grew up and realized the problem was me not them. Wishing me Merry Christmas is misplaced kindness, kindness, not what they call "othering" today. True overplaying of the same schlocky Christmas songs still annoys me but you know what, those Christians are giving me an unintentional Christmas gift of peace, quiet and solitude.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Nov 2018, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2018, 7:46 pm

Dorchester is a part of Boston which used to have racial problems in the 1970s.

Obviously, they are talking about snow here, though LOL

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 9:31 am

I think this is where we need more adults at the helm of culture.

One of my buddies played the Sam Harris and Christian Picciolini discussion on white supremacy and one of the things that horrified me in that conversation was the centrality of 'dog-whistles' and just how broadly their metaphysics could be applied. It's a really ugly two-fold problem in that boneheads will try to appropriate language this way, and then it steals those words from the commons. When they go really general, like 'globalism', they then have the power to shut down conversation because they've then irradiated conversation around topics and some such things - like globalism - do need a lot of discussion because they need constant adjustment and rethinking. That then means they can bring culture to break down in their favor because everyone starts fighting everyone over whether or not they used a dog-whistle tagged word. It's one of the ways in which the worst of people tend to get the upper-hand on everyone else.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 6:44 pm

Stop the world, I wanna get off! Just when I thought the PC police couldn't descend any further into insanity...

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Satire is a dying art. The Onion just can't compete with reality.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:56 pm

The problem of cowering to and enabling SJWs

.....is that it never ends!!

I see it like those parents who raise spoiled-rotten brats, and then say: "I don't know how he (or she) got that way". Well, HELLO----you're the idiot(s) who created the monster!! The more we enable these people, by giving them what they want, the more they want----simple as that!!

Just ONCE, I would like to see a company say: "That's not the way it was meant", and keep the ad campaign, or whatever. I can't imagine that ever happening, though, cuz it would, theoretically, lose them customers----but, here's the thing..... SJWs are seemingly, often, quite lazy, and the extent of their "smear campaign" doesn't usually extend past posting on SM----for them to actually get out and boycott a company, by marching in the streets, and/or discontinuing their custom of the company, etc., is asking a little much of most of them, I think.

As I've said, before..... Bring back the TRUE meaning of "Freedom of Speech"! ! Anybody should be able to say almost anything, about anyone else----and if that someone else doesn't like it, they can put on their big girl/boy pants, and deal with it; that's what makes backbones!!

As Reba McEntire says: "To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone, and a funny bone".

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 4:41 am

Absolutely ridiculous.

It's "hypochondria" of a society. These are non-issues. The more selfish among us can make 50 different social issues with absolutely no realistic basis or they get it together and move on with their lives.

Besides, there are real issues out there. I firmly believe climate change is a real issue. People seem to only exaggerate what they can get for themselves. Can they demonize the majority to get privileges? Can they exaggerate or force some issue to make someone else look bad? Can they gain popularity or favor with a large chunk of society? Things like this really. They just want to help themselves at the expense of others, which I find revolting.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 9:45 am

Then to be PC it should no longer be called the White House but the Orange House.