Autism disqualification for the Air Force?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 11:02 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
In Canada, I've heard of someone with eye problems joining the Navy, but being restricted from certain tasks. He ended up in logistics.

Maybe it's similar for Autism? You can join, but only have certain roles?

Sniper may be. :skull: :skull: :skull:
Or within the air force one of the people who control those drones which kill people in foreign countries. :skull: :skull: :skull:
Many NTs have emotional problems with this.<SCNR>

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 11:44 am

quite an extreme wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
In Canada, I've heard of someone with eye problems joining the Navy, but being restricted from certain tasks. He ended up in logistics.

Maybe it's similar for Autism? You can join, but only have certain roles?

Sniper may be. :skull: :skull: :skull:
Or within the air force one of the people who control those drones which kill people in foreign countries. :skull: :skull: :skull:
Many NTs have emotional problems with this.<SCNR>

I'm pretty sure most people with ASD would have just as much difficulties with those roles as NTs. You'd probably more want a psychopath performing those roles.

Oh, yikes. What have I come to - recommending what kind of people would be best to other slaughter people from a distance...
:( 8O

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
I'm pretty sure most people with ASD would have just as much difficulties with those roles as NTs. You'd probably more want a psychopath performing those roles.

Oh, yikes. What have I come to - recommending what kind of people would be best to other slaughter people from a distance...
:( 8O

Don't you know that Aspergers was first called a kind of psychopathy? But calm down. It was just a kind of really dark black humor of me. :wink:

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 1:38 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Don't you know that Aspergers was first called a kind of psychopathy? But calm down. It was just a kind of really dark black humor of me. :wink:

I can see how people might once have thought they were related, but I think psychopaths are basically polar opposites of us.

We can't see things from other people's perspective, but we do sense other people's emotions, and often, we often even "catch" emotions from other people; we might become sad by being around sad people. Yes we're seen as emotionless because we don't we can't relate to other people and don't know how we're supposed to react to their emotions.

Psychopaths know exactly how to relate to people, but lack the ability to be affected by other people's emotions. This results in them having no difficulty at all manipulating other people, and lack the innate ability to feel any remorse for doing so.

In both cases, there is a problem with empathy, but it's a completely different kind of problem.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 11:38 am

quite an extreme wrote:
Fnord wrote:
However, the XO of my first ship gave me the nick-name of "Mr. Spock" because I was so serious about my duties.
How do you think about this now?
It seems ... logical ...

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 11:48 am

Fnord wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Fnord wrote:
However, the XO of my first ship gave me the nick-name of "Mr. Spock" because I was so serious about my duties.
It seems ... logical ...

:lol:

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 7:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
quite an extreme wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It seems ... logical ...

Of course. :mrgreen:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 1:01 am

I hope I never get laid by anyone.