Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

anybody saying "all x (insert any group of ppl) are y (insert any insulting or attemting to insult thing they say)" is just one huge button that sets off my rage mode. one of. i see that, i hit that. and yes, that includes "all allistics are as*holes", some ppl might see me hitting that just around here xD this includes groups we dont chose (as in, race, gender, sexual orientation, nation etc) and those we do (religion, profession, hobby). each and every group has its extremists, and they all belong in 1 cauldron. and well separated from people, who could suffer from their behaviour by association (as in, peaceful muslims receiving the s**t flying at jihadmongers). we cant change the world, but we can deal with our own understanding of it.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 9:33 am

serpentari wrote:
anybody saying "all x (insert any group of ppl) are y (insert any insulting or attemting to insult thing they say)" is just one huge button that sets off my rage mode. one of. i see that, i hit that. and yes, that includes "all allistics are as*holes", some ppl might see me hitting that just around here xD this includes groups we dont chose (as in, race, gender, sexual orientation, nation etc) and those we do (religion, profession, hobby). each and every group has its extremists, and they all belong in 1 cauldron. and well separated from people, who could suffer from their behaviour by association (as in, peaceful muslims receiving the s**t flying at jihadmongers). we cant change the world, but we can deal with our own understanding of it.

I completely agree!

Speaking of muslims (sorry for being off topic again lol I promise I'll stop :oops: ) I was friends with a guy from Kuwait and I really liked him, but I ended up breaking off the friendship because he would say things that really offended me.

I tried really hard to be open minded because I understand that he's from a completely different culture but he explained that his people did not like homosexuals (even though he claimed that he was accepting of the fact that I was gay), they really hated Jewish people and he felt they deserved what happened to them during World War 2 (that really bothered my the most especially because my half sibilings and my Nana have Jewish ancestry), and he also seems to really despise American women.

As much as I really liked talking to him about video games and movies I had a hard time tolerating that about him because I found it very offensive. But I guess that's just how things are in his country. :(

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2018, 9:45 am

Thank you Serpentari, I think we have a tendency to have more empathy for all victims of any discrimination, as we have faced tough times ourselves.

There are naturally some who feel attack is the best form of defence and become total misanthropes, but that benefits no one.

Amimals too, are often treated inhumanely and deserve more respect.

Now we will have to stop derailing the OPs thread before we scare him away!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

i dont think an outburst of anti-discriminative sentiment can scare them off, more likely otherwise)
but to put it back on track, welcome again to our sometimes explosive community)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

Yes indeed! Welcome! :D

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:37 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet and all of it's wondrous sites and sounds.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Dec 2018, 12:47 pm

Welcome to you too Mr Longshot!

my blog:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 4:12 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Apricot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2018, 6:48 am

Welcome! I moved to DC a couple of years ago too, and I have found it very difficult. I think people here rarely express themselves directly. Like, I’m expected to “read between the lines” much more than I have been elsewhere. Which is hard. I think your approach of asking questions is good. But I also think race, gender, sexual orientation might be considered “taboo” subjects that NTs like to avoid- or maybe it just makes them uncomfortable. Good thing we’re here to set them right! Otherwise they’d never have to face these important issues.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Dec 2018, 7:08 am

I see you're new too Apricot: welcome to WP and wishing you a long and happy stay!

The climate is usually pretty good here and the citizens are great, with our warts and all.

my blog:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 7:48 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet to Machai and Apricot! :D