Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

every time I eat baked beans I get severe bloated and belly makes loud grumbling noises and I can feel the air bubbles moving along my guts and im breaking wind all night, by the morning the bedroom smells of a rotten eggy stench

I like baked beans but they don't agree with me
I have ibs anyway so having bad guts isn't unusual for me but its twice as bad when I eat beans

what is it about beans that give people wind? do anyone else here get like this after eating beans?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 3:26 pm

Most legumes contain a sugar that is not fully digestible. Beans make some people fart because they contain sugar molecules called oligosaccharides. Some people don’t have enough alpha-galactosidase enzymes to break them down, which can cause gas and bloat. During digestion, the beans go from the small intestine into the large intestine, where gut bacteria attempts to break down these problematic sugar molecules. This creates carbon dioxide in the process which results in gas.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 1:20 pm

That don't happen to me when I eat baked beans.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Most legumes contain a sugar that is not fully digestible. Beans make some people fart because they contain sugar molecules called oligosaccharides. Some people don’t have enough alpha-galactosidase enzymes to break them down, which can cause gas and bloat. During digestion, the beans go from the small intestine into the large intestine, where gut bacteria attempts to break down these problematic sugar molecules. This creates carbon dioxide in the process which results in gas.

That just took me back to my nursing school days when we studied disorders of the GI system. Lol

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 4:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
That don't happen to me when I eat baked beans.
Your GI system may have an abundance of alpha-galactosidase. I think that it's also the active ingredient in "Bean-O".

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 5:05 pm

That reminds me of a funny story. Towards the end of my dad's life, the family went to eat at a Mexican restaurant. Later that evening, my dad said, "Boy! I about blew the bottom out of my pants!"

I said, "Hey, that would make a great slogan for the restaurant. 'Mexican food so potent, it'll blow the bottom out of your pants!"

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

beans, beans, the musical fruit

the more you eat, the more you toot

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2018, 8:42 pm

Baked beans are very high in fiber & fiber can make some people gassy.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jul 2019, 7:08 pm

I think its because they're high in fiber, so they move through your system really easily?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 7:53 pm

Fnord wrote:

I've wondered why I never have any issues after eating beans when they're notorious for giving people gas. I guess it's probably because my body produces more alpha-galactosidase than the average person's, then.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 8:41 pm

It's been my experience that the more often a person eats high fiber foods, the less of an issue they have with gas. Maybe that's not the case universally.