Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 4:24 am

Ok dudes, forget about sexual assault for now. Don't you feel too humiliated to say anything about or report horrific things bullies have done to you?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Ok dudes, forget about sexual assault for now. Don't you feel too humiliated to say anything about or report horrific things bullies have done to you?

Agreed.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 3:57 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

This is a very good point.

HOWEVER, I think men get even less sympathy than women, on the whole. Even if a man is open about horrible physical abuse inflicted by bullies, society turns a blind eye and thinks even less of him for being open about it and for being the victim...yes, you know what I mean.

But a valid point indeed, and I can see why some women are afraid to come forward.

That said, I think famous/recognizable people in general are at greater risk of false accusations and character assassination.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 4:01 pm

He is ok.

Carl Sagan was much much better tho.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 11:02 am

Following recent allegations of sexual misconduct, Neil deGrasse Tyson’s talk show, “StarTalk,” is on a hiatus while the claims are investigated by the National Geographic Channel.

Late last November, National Geographic Networks and Fox said they would examine claims that Tyson behaved in a sexually inappropriate manner toward two women. In addition, Tyson was expected to host a new edition of “Cosmos: Possible Worlds,” a series he revived in 2014, in March. However, that’s on hold as well.

As previously reported, Tyson has been accused by multiple women of misconduct, stemming from allegations made by three women to Patheos, a religion and spirituality website.

In a lengthy Facebook post, Tyson addressed the misconduct allegations offering his version of the events and denying any inappropriate touching or rape. However, he did apologize for making any of the women uncomfortable.

Source: Neil DeGrasse Tyson's 'StarTalk' on hiatus amid sexual misconduct allegations, could return pending investigation

alannieto71
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2022, 12:42 am

Hello! My name is Alan and im from Argentina. I just wanted to point out that my older brother has Asperger Syndrome and he was diagnosed at the age of 8. He was very interested in Planets and Stars when he was a little, he even asked for a telescope and had the dream of create Robots while growing Up. He had a los of issues while growing, he is not 27 years old. A lot of these issues came because he doesnt know hot to comunicate with people propperly, and sexually. Actually, he gave Up his dreams, and doesnt have the confidence to build anything on his own. We had an issue in the family with him and my female cousin Belén, who always been really nice to him and is very friendly with everyone. She knows about his condition, so she always understood that he might be a little weird in some aspect. The thing is, he started to take pictures of her without her permission, and i believe he uses the pictures to masturbate (he is now addicted to masturbation since he haves a lot of anxiety). That was f****d up, and my cousin stopped seeing him after that. Another f****d up thing is he used to chat with my other female cousin on regulae bases, and she told me that the conversation always turned up weird, he starts to make comments about her weight, her period and stuff about self steem, like trying to know how to manipulate/convince women of having sex with him of love him. He is a mysoginist and he doesnt wanna see it, but he is like this because of my mother (she mistreated him verbally and physicly among the years). What can i do to help him? He started to abuse the cats sexually too (ive seen him while he was in "autistic" mode) and i think also my dog. My sister had to leave my house because of him constantly watching, observing her body all the time. Please give me an advice. Im about to leave my house soon, and i need to know he is going to be alright and will not put anybody in danger.
Besides this, ive seen Neil Tyson vídeos and interviews, and he talks and have the same gestures as him. I do think Neil might have Aspergers, just by reading his tweeter page i can see he haves this kinda narcissistic/black or white attitude most Aspies have. Please answer!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 3:53 am

alannieto71 wrote:
Hello! My name is Alan and im from Argentina. I just wanted to point out that my older brother has Asperger Syndrome and he was diagnosed at the age of 8. He was very interested in Planets and Stars when he was a little, he even asked for a telescope and had the dream of create Robots while growing Up. He had a los of issues while growing, he is not 27 years old. A lot of these issues came because he doesnt know hot to comunicate with people propperly, and sexually. Actually, he gave Up his dreams, and doesnt have the confidence to build anything on his own. We had an issue in the family with him and my female cousin Belén, who always been really nice to him and is very friendly with everyone. She knows about his condition, so she always understood that he might be a little weird in some aspect. The thing is, he started to take pictures of her without her permission, and i believe he uses the pictures to masturbate (he is now addicted to masturbation since he haves a lot of anxiety). That was f****d up, and my cousin stopped seeing him after that. Another f****d up thing is he used to chat with my other female cousin on regulae bases, and she told me that the conversation always turned up weird, he starts to make comments about her weight, her period and stuff about self steem, like trying to know how to manipulate/convince women of having sex with him of love him. He is a mysoginist and he doesnt wanna see it, but he is like this because of my mother (she mistreated him verbally and physicly among the years). What can i do to help him? He started to abuse the cats sexually too (ive seen him while he was in "autistic" mode) and i think also my dog. My sister had to leave my house because of him constantly watching, observing her body all the time. Please give me an advice. Im about to leave my house soon, and i need to know he is going to be alright and will not put anybody in danger.
Besides this, ive seen Neil Tyson vídeos and interviews, and he talks and have the same gestures as him. I do think Neil might have Aspergers, just by reading his tweeter page i can see he haves this kinda narcissistic/black or white attitude most Aspies have. Please answer!

About your brother. That some serious stuff. Talk to some local social worker to get some major intervention. We strangers here on the Net (most of us live on other continents from you) cant do much more than tell you to get some local professional help.

About the less important topic of Neil DeGrasse Tyson. Seems like every non Gay male public figure has had his pic taken with his arms around the shoulder of Jeffery Epstein at a wild party regardless of whether they are NT or aspie. Dont know what to make of this age of scandal.

Dont know if Tyson is aspie. Some rare times he seems that way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 4:02 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Dont know if Tyson is aspie. Some rare times he seems that way.

I've watched Neil De Grasse Tyson for years and he's definitely not Aspergers. He's just highly passionate about his area of special interest and there's a lot of jealous people out there who cast him as "weird" (for exampel around women) when infact he's a pretty happy/go lucky normal dude.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 4:51 am

He comes off as totally extravert and at ease in public speaking, and as un autistic as you can get, but...

The reason I said that is that he can seem impolitic at times...

He once posted a video, it was about a tragic event in the news, the event ignites debate about a certain hot button political issue. But he seemed to be oblivious to the politics and just blithely went on about how "folks think THIS thing, but statistically its really THAT way, blah blah...GEE WHIZ, isnt this FASCINATING!". It looked like he was taking a side, but he didnt seem to be taking a side. He either should have taken a stand and publicly taken one side and said "I think THIS...and here are that stats to prove it". Or he should have put disclaimers into his talk about how he wasnt taking a stand either way, or he shoulda just kept his mouth shut in public about it altogether.

I dont wanna start a debate about the issue itsself. But it would be as if he were to go on TV to talk about how dog meat is more nutritious than cat meat, oblivious to how offended pet owners would be, and how it would turn dog lovers and cat lovers in the audience against each other, and that he would seem to favoring cat owners by advocating cooking dogs, and so on. To take a ridiculous example. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 6:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
He once posted a video, it was about a tragic event in the news, the event ignites debate about a certain hot button political issue. But he seemed to be oblivious to the politics and just blithely went on about how "folks think THIS thing, but statistically its really THAT way, blah blah...GEE WHIZ, isnt this FASCINATING!". It looked like he was taking a side, but he didnt seem to be taking a side. He either should have taken a stand and publicly taken one side and said "I think THIS...and here are that stats to prove it". Or he should have put disclaimers into his talk about how he wasnt taking a stand either way, or he shoulda just kept his mouth shut in public about it altogether.

Neil's very very popular. He's extremely charismatic and in high demand on the talk show circuit. Unfortunately that level of exposure in the media means journalists often ask him stupid questions that have nothing to do with astronomy. He provides a response social media don't like and the trolls come after him.

If he is awkward it;s because he's an academic and he's actually pretty confident about it (he owns it).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:34 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
She indicated the meeting was uncomfortable and ended with an “awkward and incredibly intimate handshake.”

Let that be a lesson to all of us: never shake hands with anyone.

Wow. In hind sight, this was very good advice.
Let us all bow our heads in remembrance of the hand shake.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 12:45 pm

It seems the allegations never panned out.  Both National Geographic and Fox announced the investigation as complete, they are moving forward with both StarTalk and Cosmos, and there will be no further comment.  The networks affirmed that both StarTalk and Cosmos would resume, but that no date had been set.  The American Museum of Natural History stated Neil deGrasse Tyson would keep his job as director of the Hayden Planetarium.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2022, 5:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
It seems the allegations never panned out.  Both National Geographic and Fox announced the investigation as complete, they are moving forward with both StarTalk and Cosmos, and there will be no further comment.  The networks affirmed that both StarTalk and Cosmos would resume, but that no date had been set.  The American Museum of Natural History stated Neil deGrasse Tyson would keep his job as director of the Hayden Planetarium.

The allegations were never compelling. He's the most popular public speaker in sphere of science/astronomy since Carl Sagan. Unlike in Sagan's era the #Meetoo movement and social media make Neil an unfortunate target. Nobody bothered to check with the hundreds of women who were his students, colleagues, RAs etc. I am a little surprised that during the time he was under a cloud none of these females publicly came and backed him. Quite a disgraceful episode in his illustrious life.

Almost immediately after his new series was confirmed he was invited for a regular guest spot on Stephen Colbert who at least stood behind his friend.