Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2018, 6:10 pm

Do you struggle with motor skills? And if so, does one seem to be more of a struggle than the other? I feel like my fine motor skills are awful, but I seem to have better gross ones. I just have trouble with anything that requires any kind of coordinated movement with my hands. I still struggle with the simplest tasks, like locking/unlocking doors and opening envelopes. I've been told that the way I hold silverware while I'm eating is odd. It's a total disaster if I try to cut a loaf of bread, or get foil or cling wrap out without messing up the whole roll. I work as an aide at an elementary school, and I swear my fine motor skills are no better than the kids'. If I'm in a classroom and the teacher has the kids do some activity where they have to fold paper a certain way, I'm just as lost as some of the kids and I'm no help to them! The little ones in kindergarten and 1st grade always need help opening things at lunch or snack time, and sometimes I'm no better at helping them with that either! :x Thankfully, I can help them tie their shoes, but I also can sympathize with the kids who can't do it, because I had the hardest time figuring that out when I was little. I don't think I could really tie my own shoes till halfway through 1st grade.

But yeah, I don't seem to have as much trouble with gross motor skills. I took gymnastics and dance lessons as a kid, and as an adult I go to zumba-type dance fitness classes for my workout and I can pick up the moves fairly well. (However, the fitness place also has "pound" classes which is where instead of dancing, you bang drumsticks to the rhythm/beat of music. I tried it a couple times and I totally suck and can't keep up). I did have a bit of a hard time learning to ride a bike as a child, though. And I was really bad at sports and couldn't throw/kick/catch balls very well.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 6:17 pm

I am diagnosed dyspraxic, with moderate to severe fine motor delay and mild gross motor delay.

So mine suck, but thanks to a combo of arguing online and OT mine have gotten WAY better than they used to be.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2018, 6:27 pm

Yes, I do.

If not, I really suck at doing things.

It could be both.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 6:43 pm

My motor skills are good, especially in public. I automatically respect other people's space and I don't walk right into people. I'm glad I have this skill because it seems a lot of people don't, especially in big cities.

My hand-eye coordination ain't that good, which might be related to why I'm so bad at cooking. I am poor at peeling potatoes or apples without cutting myself or making the apple or potato look square after peeling. Also my handwriting isn't very neat, for someone who enjoys writing. I'm not the best at doing fiddly tasks. I don't know how some people are able to carve brilliant figures out of wood. But I am quite good at drawing.
I don't often drop things or knock things over. Every time I have a bath I play on my phone and I am able to avoid dropping it in the water.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2018, 6:45 pm

I struggle with both honestly. Like I regularly almost fall down a lot. And my fine skills suck too.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2018, 7:39 pm

My gross motor skills are pretty awful. Nowhere near a clinical level but enough to make physical activities feel awkward and unnatural. My fine motor skills have always been pretty great, though, at least when I'm concentrating. I started knitting when I was five or six, and I imagine that it helped me develop those skills. Maybe you could take up a craft like that to help you improve - the repetitive motions double as a calming method that's pretty useful in its own right.

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2018, 7:53 pm

Actually my gross skills suck so much that if I'm overstimulated, I walk like I'm drunk.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2018, 8:05 pm

My motor skills are so bad I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was 13 :(

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 8:21 pm

I'm good with both, and born with it. Best at PE, and arts and crafts.
Been sought out by other kids because of it. And to the point an OT tested me as a child, and said I didn't need it.
It's a good asset of mine because I have just as good visual and nonverbal strengths, firm sense of body and enough sense of space to actually use it in real life.

My very problem involves reaction time in general for processing too many things at once.
I can catch and dodge well, but I can't just keep track of more than three things at the once and have to plan two steps ahead, while having to move faster than that.

Then sometimes, pressure application. I'm 'too strong'. Partially, it's an asset involving heavier work than my body is built for.
But I bang doors too often, sometimes break things for 'being rough' on it.
Because of this I have to hold back from breaking things on accident, to the point that I end up dropping things on accident or left things a bit loose instead.

And I don't wanna bother with handwriting. I won't do well other than just eligible enough, unless I strain myself fast and slowly get the job done just for producing a neat handwriting.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 03 Dec 2018, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 8:29 pm

My fine and gross motor skills are good. I can walk across a downed tree over a raging flooded river and keep my balance.

But my timing is off. For the life of me, I cannot dance. I am always out of sync. When someone is moving in one direction, I am a few seconds behind moving in the exact opposite direction. I have a problem mirroring the postures, gestures, or movements of others.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Dec 2018, 8:48 pm

I had some kind of physical therapy when I was in elementary skewl where I practiced motor skills like walking with one foot in front of the other, skipping, grabbing things ect. This was done at the skewls every so often like 1ce a week or every two weeks or something the woman came by. Nowadays I struggle with fine motor-skills a lot more than gross but I have a tremor disorder called Essential Tremors that acts up when doing things with fine motor-skills.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2018, 9:51 pm

My gross motor skills are pretty great. Im pretty athletic and have good hand-eye (I play a lot of sports). I am naturally clumsy though, I run into things a lot and trip over air. Then again, I have terrible depth perception.

My fine motor skills are less great? I struggle to tie my shoes, use scissors or knives, work latches, untie knots, etc etc. My fingers tend to "fumble" a lot. However, there's a lot of things I do in sports that require fine motor skills. And one fine motor skill is writing, but I do drawing and calligraphy. Im also very near ambidextrous. So....Im not sure.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 3:12 am

My dyspraxia is so bad it resembles cerebral palsy.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 5:53 am

Gross motor skills are very poor. In childhood that was the most obvious thing to me that set me apart from everybody else, I really wanted to be good at sports but just couldn't do it, football (soccer) was the only game I could play to any acceptable standard through sheer determination. I'm alright with fiddly things, I can change a plug and things like that.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2018, 9:49 am

i've always had pretty bad fine motor skills, i'm not sure about gross motor skills though. I'd say it's an equal, but not debilitating (anymore) struggle.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

I figured out that I just have a very steep learning curve at first. But, if I stick with it I can develop both fine and gross motor skills with time to the point where they are very good.