Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 10:08 am

I figured out that I just have a very steep learning curve at first. But, if I stick with it I can develop both fine and gross motor skills with time to the point where they are very good.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 10:45 am

Both my fine and gross motor skills are below "average." But I get by.

People notice how "clumsy" I am, and they tease me about it.

But I can function in life despite this.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 3:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone tried mirror box therapy to improve their hand fine motor skills?

Mirror therapy is a therapeutic approach that uses a mirror box to regenerate neural networks that control limbs and other parts of the body. It is a pretty simple and inexpensive technique. There is even a YouTube video describing how to do it on the Internet. It is a DYI (Do It Yourself) approach.

This form of therapy is used in rehabilitation of stroke survivors and individuals that suffered severe hand injuries. It works because of neuroplasticity.

For example if you suffered a hand accident and you hand was in a cast for 6 months. When the cast is removed you hand would be inoperative. So by observing the reflection of your good hand moving in a mirror and fooling your mind into believing it is really your bad hand, your brain rewires connections within the brain and your bad hand is restored. So rehabilitation is not only physically restoring the muscles in your hand through exercise but also restoring the neural connections that control it.

I thought it might hold promise in improving fine motor function, coordination, maybe conditions like dyslexia. Anyways it is a simple inexpensive approach. It apparently works with pain elimination also.

If you try it let me know the results - good or bad. Message me.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 9:28 pm

My gross motor skills are okay only because I am a dancer and train every day. Even then I am awkward when just walking around. Fine motor skills are poor. I drop things, scared to use knives.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 7:01 am

My gross motor skills are bad. I have never done well in any sports no matter how much I tried. I can hardly turn around to look at something without pulling a muscle or something.

I have excellent fine motor skill, though. My hands are good at most things I tried to do, like painting, calligraphy, sewing, making jewelry, fixing stuff...etc. My feet are pretty good, too. It's like someone attached good hands and feet to an otherwise clumsy person. I am grateful for them. However my kids have not inherited them. They're clumsy everywhere and hurt themselves just walking through doors. :(

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Dec 2018, 6:56 pm

My gross motor skills and fine motor skills aren't terrible, but they're a bit slow. In other words doing a move that to others come automatically requires a bit of thinking on my part.

Fine motor skills is a bit of a funny story. Knots are next to impossible to learn in a reasonable amount of time. I occasionally play Unturned, but can't fly a plane or helicopter; my reaction time is way too slow. Motorcycles and fast cars? I keep crashing them. The only vehicles I can drive in that game are slow, clunky ones... especially the bus. I like driving IRL too so if there's a zombie apocalypse, my job will be a bus driver.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 7:11 pm

Maybe it is because I'm small but I have unusually quick reaction times and can type very fast. Even at middle age.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

My fine and gross motor skills are below average,probably poor.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 8:36 am

As a sport, I prefer bicycling, because my feet are guided, and I can save power by thinking. After much practice, my bike handling skills are adequate, but not impressive. In fine control, I'm not very good at following a line with a saw, but I can often do quite good work by working with some fingers on the material to help guide the tool, instead of running it right from my chair. If I block one eye, I become very clumsy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:11 am

jimmy m wrote:
I was wondering if anyone tried mirror box therapy to improve their hand fine motor skills?

Mirror therapy is a therapeutic approach that uses a mirror box to regenerate neural networks that control limbs and other parts of the body. It is a pretty simple and inexpensive technique. There is even a YouTube video describing how to do it on the Internet. It is a DYI (Do It Yourself) approach.

This form of therapy is used in rehabilitation of stroke survivors and individuals that suffered severe hand injuries. It works because of neuroplasticity.

For example if you suffered a hand accident and you hand was in a cast for 6 months. When the cast is removed you hand would be inoperative. So by observing the reflection of your good hand moving in a mirror and fooling your mind into believing it is really your bad hand, your brain rewires connections within the brain and your bad hand is restored. So rehabilitation is not only physically restoring the muscles in your hand through exercise but also restoring the neural connections that control it.

I thought it might hold promise in improving fine motor function, coordination, maybe conditions like dyslexia. Anyways it is a simple inexpensive approach. It apparently works with pain elimination also.

If you try it let me know the results - good or bad. Message me.

I wonder if there's a version where someone elses hand is used. Like my sloppy hand (either one) starts copying the normal hand doing things.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:25 am

^^ That's for restoring circuits, not building them. I am quite poor at copying other workers - I miss a lot of what is going on. However, because I work from an understanding of the material instead of set motions, I can do novel jobs.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 9:51 am

I am similar. I am a disaster at opening bags, boxes and the like and make a mess of foil wrap. Strangely enough, I learned to dance and play tennis quickly. People say I have nice writing. That is the one fine motor skill that is strong. Some people might say I choose to do some things, but not others, which I don't think is true. I don't want to look stupid in front of people.

I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was in fourth grade. I could have understood my slowness to learn certain skills if I had been a slow learner across the board, but I was reading at about a seventh grade level and was even a year ahead in my hardest subject, which was math. I wasn't overly athletic then, which I have made up for now.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 10:30 am

my motor skills are no so good, as I was never athletic;however, I'm quite capable of walking for an extended period of time without my nuclear reactor going into overheat mode.