Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 5:57 am

I have had this happen to me when too fixated on something and snap out of it gasping for breath. The same as when I have held my breath intentionally.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 8:13 am

There was a bestselling novel entitled "Waiting to Exhale". Metaphoric to be sure, but based upon a real thing. On how all us will unconsciously momentarily hold your breathe while you're tense and in anticipation about something.

In fact when that book came out , never read it, but I loved the title because it described perfectly how I felt while listening to mom tell me anything that was important. Dad would always be blunt, and to the point. No problem there. But if mom needed to say something serious to me you had to sit there and listen to a LONG tedious story, and do so without any notion of why she is talking to you, and if you allowed yourself to relax you're mind would wonder off from her boring ass story. When I was a little kid I would be deep into my own daydreams by the time she got to her point, and she would be angry at me for not listening to her. So I learned to "wait to exhale" while she talked to me, so I wouldn't relax until I got the ...reward....of hearing WTF her point was (always something bad).

wikedcircus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

I noticed I tend to hold my breath when trying to concentrate (what am I a sniper?). It has taken many months of noticing and correcting to stop it. I have always struggled with breathing correctly in general.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 1:29 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Do any of you ever find yourselves so absorbed in what you're doing that you notice, after thirty seconds or so, that you haven't been breathing? If so, is it an autistic thing, or does it happen to everybody?
it's physically impossible to do that...

CultOfByron
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2019, 6:20 am

Hi there, this is something that I am increasingly aware that I do. It's not stopping breathing, as clearly I would expire, but very shallow breathing that I suspect over time has resulted in a chronic brain fog.

It seems like a combination of poor posture, shallow breathing, anticipation or anxiety contributes to a cycle of stress responses in the body.

The writer Linda Stone has called this "Email Apnea or Screen Apnea" and there's a good article about it that I'll link to below:

Email or Screen Apnea

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

Never, but I hyperventilate when I'm anxious.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:34 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Do any of you ever find yourselves so absorbed in what you're doing that you notice, after thirty seconds or so, that you haven't been breathing? If so, is it an autistic thing, or does it happen to everybody?

I occasionally get this when I only notice when I realize I suddenly need to take a breat and I am flaking out and puzzling why... It doesn't happen too often, but the panic I get when I suddenly notice... As we need to breath. It helps! Occasionally I get it at night... But it is in the day that is puzzling. It is rare for me to get it in the day but it has been known. Usually I realize before I have stopped breathing for too long! Haha! Does it have anyting to do with autism? I have no idea whatsoever.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:45 am

I forget to breathe sometimes if I focus too hard.
And partially because my nose literally won't let me breathe or even focus for long.
Had to sneeze or breathe harder because whenever -- swelling, too much mucus, whatever symptom happens to it for no apparent reasons, and being aware of it irritates me almost every time. :x
Especially when I'm supposedly asleep when on a bed.

So breathing through the mouth -- only to get irritated throat and eventual cough.
At worst, breathing both ways are severely irritated and raw, it just hurts to breathe along with headaches and overwhelm.

I really just have issues with this body's upper respiratory for most of my life. It's a wonder why I hadn't got asthma or lung issues.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 4:45 pm

CultOfByron wrote:
Hi there, this is something that I am increasingly aware that I do. It's not stopping breathing, as clearly I would expire, but very shallow breathing that I suspect over time has resulted in a chronic brain fog.

It seems like a combination of poor posture, shallow breathing, anticipation or anxiety contributes to a cycle of stress responses in the body.

The writer Linda Stone has called this "Email Apnea or Screen Apnea" and there's a good article about it that I'll link to below:

Email or Screen Apnea

Yes, brain fog, caused partially by this, is perhaps my biggest problem. I've always been anxious, melancholic and aloof, but as my anxiety has taken more control of my life over the past few years, I've found my intellectual abilities have decreased steadily. I was once "gifted"; I'd dare say I'm merely average now.