Are you retired from dating?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2018, 8:36 am

I’ve been to places I didn’t want to go too and scheduled my day around someone else’s schedule enough to comfortably say “I’m retired”. The challenge of dating just isn’t worth it to me now that I’m 40.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

That's okay. Take a year or two off. See if you are happy with where that leaves you. I think either answer (yes or no) is acceptable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 9:56 am

I'll never be "retired" from dating. If I don't have a wife when I'm 70, I'm going to still seek out ladies. Especially elegant ladies who enjoy promenading about town (elegantly).

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 10:15 am

Not retired, as I never really started with that phase of my life. I hope to one day, though, although, for now, I will concentrate on other things.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 12:15 pm

i don't intend to give up until i find someone who loves me "

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'll never be "retired" from dating. If I don't have a wife when I'm 70, I'm going to still seek out ladies. Especially elegant ladies who enjoy promenading about town (elegantly).

I’d rather work until I’m 70. I feel a relief being single. Dating is the hardest thing I don’t have to do.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2018, 8:34 pm

If my current relationship doesn't work out, that's likely the route I'll go. I hate spending time swiping, harassment on apps, etc, and most of the guys my age even in "geeky" spaces are married. I wouldn't have the heart to spend my nights on apps again.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 2:12 am

While some millennial men have started to lift weights, dress better, and make an effort to meet girls, it’s clear that girls aren’t even trying.

The sexual marketplace has always been a buyer’s market. Millennial women have cleverly re-branded their ballooning waistlines as “curvy” or “thicc [sic],” with some degree of success. In addition, male thirst remains at an all-time high. Thus, the millennial man either settles for the 4/10 “curvy” Latina or seeks pleasure elsewhere.

When a young adult male has dropped out of the dating market—as is increasingly common—he now has a lot of free time on his hands. He’s not going out to bars or nightclubs (do people still do this?) and he’s spending the majority of his time home alone.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 5:31 am

I’m married. Dating has fulfilled its purpose in my life. I’m done.

I could see myself having other women as occasional companions if my wife passed. Friendship is one thing. Romantic involvement is something else. If I never have that again, I’m ok with it. I’d prefer it that way.

More immediately, though, you shouldn’t think that just because you’re married you stop dating your spouse. That’s wrong. You won’t have much of a marriage if you neglect this. It just means dating isn’t about the quest for finding love. Now it’s about keeping it alive.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 5:45 am

Buc wrote:
I’ve been to places I didn’t want to go too and scheduled my day around someone else’s schedule enough to comfortably say “I’m retired”. The challenge of dating just isn’t worth it to me now that I’m 40.

I hear you. It can be pretty tough, and the idea can be more rewarding than the reality.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 7:44 am

Dating to me is like going to school, you have to do it, but not forever. The inconveniences end up outweighing the benefits after a couple decades.

Aspie19828
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

When I reached 30 it was all over, I spent my 20s dateless and my 30s and beyond are unlikely to change. I can not increase my height and my face is getting worse as the years pass me by. After a dozen rejections on a dating site only there a week enough to project that I had absolutely no hope. So many empty profiles and profiles just with a picture, so only tried with profiles that were filled in and made an effort but no response. I got bored within a week on a dating site and did not bother again. Online dating is only for the most attractive guys that succeed in real life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

"Successful" guys don't usually need online dating.

I find it's probably better to do it the "old-fashioned" way.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 10:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
"Successful" guys don't usually need online dating.

I find it's probably better to do it the "old-fashioned" way.

Dating is 90% online. Go to a bar and you’ll find a bunch of dudes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2018, 10:18 am

I've never gotten a girl in a bar.....except once when I was 21.

Probably the best place to meet future companions is at work, or through friends.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2018, 10:24 am

I don’t want to meet a woman. I’m retired.