Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:33 pm

ironpony wrote:
I guess it's one of those so bad that it's good movies, with writing and acting that's so bad that it's good, but were the filmmakers intending it to be a movie like that?

I didn't see it like that.

Napoleon was an imaginative young man living in his own world and trying to deal the best he could with a world that was harsh to him.

All the other main characters had difficulties they were struggling with in their own way: Uncle Rico, Kip, Deb, Pedro.

In the end though, all of the characters' situations changed for the better. Rather than being devoid of happiness as seemed to be the case through most of the movie, at the end their lives were hopeful.

I liked it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2019, 9:04 pm

nick007 wrote:
I quit watching it after about 20 minutes because I found it boring as heck. Maybe my ADD was acting up.
I forgot that I actually liked the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon that Fox did. It wasn't great but it was OK.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 4:40 am

Magna wrote:
ironpony wrote:
I guess it's one of those so bad that it's good movies, with writing and acting that's so bad that it's good, but were the filmmakers intending it to be a movie like that?

I didn't see it like that.

Napoleon was an imaginative young man living in his own world and trying to deal the best he could with a world that was harsh to him.

All the other main characters had difficulties they were struggling with in their own way: Uncle Rico, Kip, Deb, Pedro.

In the end though, all of the characters' situations changed for the better. Rather than being devoid of happiness as seemed to be the case through most of the movie, at the end their lives were hopeful.

I liked it.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that the story didn't make sense or anything, there was a story for sure. It's just the actual writing, like the dialogue and how the characters acted was very weird I mean.

Like for example, the wedding scene, the people getting married had no emotion about it literally, and the way they sang to each other was just very strange.

Or why doesn't the main character open his eyes all the way, and that's never explained. Things like that make it so bad that's good in a way, but not sure if that is what they intended and couldn't figure out what was going through the filmmakers heads with things like that. I wasn't referring to the story though, just all these little things here and there.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm

Why would him not opening his eyes all the way need to be explained?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

Very often when I'm thinking of what to say as I'm saying it I talk with my eyes closed. Especially when I'm with people like family.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:40 pm

thewrll wrote:
Why would him not opening his eyes all the way need to be explained?

I suppose it's because he's an Aspie, and so won't look directly into anyone's eyes.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

Well I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it in a person, but it feels like the filmmakers relied on weird things like this to carry the movie through, and when you keep piling on the weird quirks, it gives the movie a very odd random feeling, like you don't know what to you think of it, and that is why the movie is a conundrum to me that I cannot decide on.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:35 pm

I agree that the movie is odd. The characters are odd. I also agree that it's random. I happen to like odd and random movies if there is still a point and a story line I like and can follow. I'm not a fan of films that are totally random with no story. I tire of that pretty easily (like some of the things that Warhol did).

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

Doesn't feel random to me. It's about a teen finding his way in the world and love and his brother finding a fine woman, and we have a president.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2019, 3:38 pm

This is one of those movies where I really don't understand the popularity of it. I tired watching it once but I couldn't make it very far into the movie, it was just so terrible. Especially the main character. I don't care if other people like it, I just don't understand why they do, or more specifically, why so many people do.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 1:35 am

I'm guessing people are entertained on that it's so bad it's good level maybe?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 12:09 am

Nope it's a good movie, not a bad movie so that so bad it's good angle doesn't make sense.