Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 8:31 am

Just saw this the other day and loved it!! ! Particularly loved the opening theme! Best movie I'v ever seen.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

It's funny how it's the kind of movie that people either seem to love or hate, think is cool or totally lame.

It happens to be a favorite of mine whereas my wife hates the film and thinks it's totally lame.

I like the story, I like the characters, I like the slow pace, I like the humor. Did you notice the characters, for the most part, don't show much outward emotion? Pedro is the most extreme example, but they're all like that. I identify with the characters in that way.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 3:48 pm

I wished I lived right next door to them. We'd be good friends as well as good neighbors. I like the location too.
Tina was as sweet as sugar. Too bad it was a fiction film.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 6:36 pm

I liked it a lot.

Nacho Libre was good too, but not quite as good.

Gentlemen Broncos was okay, I might need to watch it again.

...not sure if that director has made any other films...I'll have to look it up.

But yeah, definitely a polarizing film for a lot of people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2018, 11:01 pm

I quit watching it after about 20 minutes because I found it boring as heck. Maybe my ADD was acting up. I really liked Nacho Libre but haven't heard of Gentlemen Broncos.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 6:07 am

Magna wrote:
It's funny how it's the kind of movie that people either seem to love or hate, think is cool or totally lame.

It happens to be a favorite of mine whereas my wife hates the film and thinks it's totally lame.

I like the story, I like the characters, I like the slow pace, I like the humor. Did you notice the characters, for the most part, don't show much outward emotion? Pedro is the most extreme example, but they're all like that. I identify with the characters in that way.

Richard Hell, of all people, wrote an interesting review of it. He wasn't a fan.

Personally, I'm not in love with it, but it has some gags that make me laugh. Sometimes life feels full of Uncle Ricos.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 2:21 pm

One of my favorite Aspie movies (even though the words Asperger's or autism never come up).

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

To each one's own yes, but I didn't find anything funny about it.

I only watched Nacho Libre because Jack Black was in it and he always knows how to get a good laugh out of people who watch his movies.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:14 pm

Napoleon Dynamite was unflinching when it came to personal quirks. I don't remember any movies before it showing the bizarre, socially unaware, fantasy prone behavior that this movie showed in its protagonist. This is how I remember the outcasts in school, not as victims of circumstance who just needed a chance, but as fundamentally different and needing to forge their own path. This movie is a gem.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:44 pm

I felt self-conscious all the way through the film, as if I had left the webcam on again.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:48 pm

Do you like shaun of the dead?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 2:31 am

This is one of the those movies where I don't know what to think of it. It's just weird, and it's just there. Can't tell if it's good or bad, cause it's just weird, and there... strange...

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 8:25 am

I own a copy and just watched it again last weekend. I like it for a lot of reasons. I realize it's a film that many don't like at all.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

I guess it's one of those so bad that it's good movies, with writing and acting that's so bad that it's good, but were the filmmakers intending it to be a movie like that?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:29 pm

I think it's quite funny

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:33 pm

ironpony wrote:
I guess it's one of those so bad that it's good movies, with writing and acting that's so bad that it's good, but were the filmmakers intending it to be a movie like that?

I didn't see it like that.

Napoleon was an imaginative young man living in his own world and trying to deal the best he could with a world that was harsh to him.

All the other main characters had difficulties they were struggling with in their own way: Uncle Rico, Kip, Deb, Pedro.

In the end though, all of the characters' situations changed for the better. Rather than being devoid of happiness as seemed to be the case through most of the movie, at the end their lives were hopeful.

I liked it.