My boyfriend has a cold, now I'm going to get a cold :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2018, 11:41 pm

My boyfriend has been sniffing, sneezing and coughing all day and all night, and while I feel healthy at the moment, I just know I will catch it within the next couple of days, as I always catch a cold if someone else has one. He will probably have those symptoms only, but I know full well that when I get it I will get more flu-like symptoms with it like aching legs, weakness, swollen face, high temperature, and throat so sore that I taste blood. On top of that I get this weird agitation, where I'm too weak to move about but too agitated to rest, and it's hard to fall asleep too, even if I take sedatives. So that means my plans for Saturday are ruined because I do not want to pass my cold-to-be on to my family, and also I will have to take days off work, which I really can't afford to at the moment.

I'm hoping my immune system is healthy enough to fight off this stupid cold. I don't like tea of any sort, nor nuts, nor sweet potatoes, nor carrots or brussel sprouts. Yuk! But I've been eating green grapes, mango, yogurt, and food with garlic in like garlic sauce and garlic bread, and I'm drinking squash and some water. Is this enough to prevent me from catching the cold? I just cannot face having a cold, I don't have time to have a cold, I can't afford to have a cold, and I hate colds with a vengeance, they're the bane of your life. Why oh why can't colds be like chicken pox, where you get it once and then you're immune for life?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 12:19 am

If my wife gets a cold I stop all physical contact for at least a week or longer if it's a bad one. Separate towels and I'm hyper aware of what she's touched that I might touch, etc. I avoid getting a cold a good number of times taking such precautions.

I hope he gets better and you stay well.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

I HATE this! Ugghhh my husband's sick and then boom a couple days later I get the same thing.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 11:26 am

I do not know if you can get them in the UK, but here in the US we have zinc-based throat sprays and cough drops. They will not prevent a cold but reduce the severity of one when it forms. I have used them and they seem to work, but I am not really sure if they are worth the money spent on them or not. Some of them are quite pricey.

My suggestion for you is to drink some hot chicken broth and get plenty of rest. Chicken broth (and soup) has been used for ages to help treat colds here in the US, as it does contain certain nutrients that does support immunity to colds. Try to reduce your stress levels, as elevated stress and lack of sleep has been known to effect human immune systems. Wash your hands with soap and water whenever you touch something that has been exposed to your boyfriend. Good luck!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 12:27 pm

Every Fall I would get a cold and it would stay until the Spring. lI would work its way deep down into my lungs and my chest rattled, sign of bronchitis.

But now I do not get colds. That is not quite true, I can feel them sometimes and an hour or two later they are gone, cured.

A few years ago I started to experiment with essential oils. I was a bit of a mad scientist type conducing all type of experiment. I finally came up with a blend of oils that I called the "Superman" blend. It has around 25 essential oils in the blend but concentration wise it is very mild. I designed it for my grandchildren to help them fight off the common cold, flu, plague or whatever. And it works rather well. We rarely get sick anymore. Just a dab of this blend on the wrist and we are good all day.

So you might want to experiment with essential oils.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the tips. I do like soup, so I will try to have more soup. I feel bad about complaining about my boyfriend for something he can't help, but to be fair he isn't the most hygienic of people, he doesn't wash his hands before he eats (unless he's been to the toilet), and when he sneezes he does about 10 in a row and doesn't cover his nose. So now the apartment has about a zillion virus germs everywhere.

I don't feel any symptoms of a cold at the moment, except I keep getting a slight pain in my cheeks but it's probably because I'm thinking about it. He has been to work and says he doesn't feel ill, he's just sniffing, coughing and sneezing. So it could be a sinus infection, which is not contagious. But he doesn't seem to know what it is. Also he smokes, which probably doesn't help. I don't smoke or drink.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 2:46 pm

You need to train your man. Hand him a couple of tissues and say "Cover your sneeze, please." (or cough)

I'm on day 3 of a rotten miserable cold. It's rather cold out today, below freezing, so we've opted to stay home and not provoke things. My progression is always the same: scratchy throat and maybe odd feeling in the ears, then nasal congestion, then chest congestion. Hot lemon juice and honey makes the head feel better. Just lately I am drinking Twining's lemon and ginger tea, with a teaspoon of honey added. It's very soothing. You need to drink a lot of fluids and make sure you are not getting dehydrated.

Some people swear by zinc lozenges. I don't use them, but my husband does. I've never been confident it's anything but a placebo, but heck, I'll take a good placebo effect (about 30% improvement) any day. It's just that zinc doesn't seem like it would do much, and I already take a daily supplement containing zinc.

You asked why don't we get lifelong immunity like we do for chicken pox. I'm assuming it's similar to flu viruses: they continually mutate (change genetically).

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm

every time my kid brings a cold from kindersgarten, i'd get sick for a month, and she'd bring another meanwhile xD im tired of being constantly ill, but i just consider that an enviromental hazard, such is life xD

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:31 am

BeaArthur wrote:
You asked why don't we get lifelong immunity like we do for chicken pox. I'm assuming it's similar to flu viruses: they continually mutate (change genetically).

Correct, there are over 31,000 known cold viruses from what I remember about them. Each time one infects a person, it has a small chance that it can undergo mutations of their RNA into a new form. This usually happens during the replication process for the virus. Human immunity depends greatly upon exposure to the virus itself. Not all exposures to these viruses translates to colds, it can give you immunity from catching that particular form of the cold if your body reacts to the virus without the virus actually invading the body. People who work in the health care field tend to get exposed to cold viruses on the job more than a regular person, so they do gain a slight advantage in immunity to them overall.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 10:36 am

That's how it is when you have a romantic partner. In sickness and in health. And nothing tests a person's love more than having a partner with a sickness that would make me check into a hotel and have them call me when they're better. :twisted:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2018, 11:19 am

There's some sort of crud going around here, too. Hope I don't get it. Yuck!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 2:23 am

Thanks for the explanation of how the cold virus forms, I do actually find that sort of thing interesting. I'd like to learn about the norovirus too, like what the virus does when it enters your body and why it makes you sick. I look it up on Google but it doesn't really explain much about the scientific part of it, just the medical health part. I'm not generally a science person but sometimes if I educate myself about something I feel less anxious about it. :lol:

It's been 4 days since my boyfriend has had a cold and I haven't caught it. Maybe my immune system is finally getting off it's ass and actually shielding me from the germs.
But yesterday I did lack appetite, which is unusual for me. I didn't fancy eating anything and I felt nauseous on and off throughout the day. I was also drowsy, and slept rather well last night. I started to worry as to why I wasn't eating, but I feel fine now. Maybe my body was fighting off some sort of virus yesterday?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2018, 4:23 am

My girlfriend gets sick a lot(including colds) cuz she has a stress illness. I only got sick a couple times in the last 6 years we've been living together(except for food poisoning) & when I did get sick I was only sick for a couple days whereas she was sick with a cold for a couple weeks at least. I think that's cuz I take vitamin C supplements. My girlfriend found she gets sick alittle less after she increased her C by one pill. The pills we take are half a gram & half is fast released & the other half is released gradually. We take it 3x a day, 1ce with each meal. Cass tried taking 4 a day & started having worse stomach problems. She has lots of stomach problems cuz of gull stones & because of stress & anxiety & maybe meds she's on. She didn't notice any problems when she started the C & increased it up to 3x a day. 4 is just too much for her thou after a couple days. She increases it to 4 when she starts feeling like she's getting sick but it's for no more than a couple days, she stops before she starts feeling the stomach problems. I've only increased mine to 4x for a couple days here & there when I felt like I was getting sick. I don't do it for more than a couple days cuz I don't want to take a chance with the stomach problems. I buy the C off Amazon & here's a link to the page~ https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 10:15 am

Joe90 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation of how the cold virus forms, I do actually find that sort of thing interesting. I'd like to learn about the norovirus too, like what the virus does when it enters your body and why it makes you sick. I look it up on Google but it doesn't really explain much about the scientific part of it, just the medical health part. I'm not generally a science person but sometimes if I educate myself about something I feel less anxious about it. :lol:

It's been 4 days since my boyfriend has had a cold and I haven't caught it. Maybe my immune system is finally getting off it's ass and actually shielding me from the germs.
But yesterday I did lack appetite, which is unusual for me. I didn't fancy eating anything and I felt nauseous on and off throughout the day. I was also drowsy, and slept rather well last night. I started to worry as to why I wasn't eating, but I feel fine now. Maybe my body was fighting off some sort of virus yesterday?

Here is a website that might be a good starting point to learning more about how viruses work:

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/ ... -human.htm

One thing that I wanted to mention is that anti-bacterial items do not "kill" viruses. Many people waste good money buying anti-bacterial products because they do not know the difference. Live bacteria can be killed via many processes (silver ion, Ag+, is but one of them) and that will help stop the infection. On the other hand, viruses are not "alive" in the sense that many people think that they are though. Basically, they are just a genetic code (either RNA or DNA) protected with a shell. They have similarities to a computer virus, as their main goal is to infect and replicate. When they infect a body, they go through a process to replicate themselves over and over. This causes the body to form cold symptoms that everyone knows too well. They then leave the body to go and infect others who are not immune to them.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 3:49 pm

Teach him to cover his mouth when he coughs or sneezes, cough and sneeze into his shirt sleeve and not on his hands. Wipe down commonly touched objects with disinfectant, I prefer isopropyl alcohol wipes. Wash your hands before you put anything in your mouth. I inevitably get whatever cold my dad has as he has no sense of cleanliness at all.