Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 795
Location: TN

07 Dec 2018, 5:12 am

Where can I go as a sort of retreat for a week or two?
The thing is I'm experiencing some extremes like anxiety and depression.
Yet, I'm overstimulated by television and smoke.
Where can I go to mostly get away from these stimuli?
Is there some mental health place that specializes in this?
I know it isn't a permanent solution.
I just want this help desperately till the end of December.



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 920

07 Dec 2018, 7:00 am

There are religious retreats, a Google search will find you many.


_________________
There's a knife in the wind tonight and my heart is clean.
I awaken at the urging of a long, slow dream.
I arise from my bed of ages in the hollow hills,
On the night when the moon howls and the wolves are still.


Michael Hough


BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Aug 2015
Age: 64
Posts: 3,907

07 Dec 2018, 10:50 am

caThar4G wrote:
Is there some mental health place that specializes in this?

There are psychiatric hospitals and psychiatric wards in general hospitals.

If you rely on public funding, you will have to be in severe need of the help to be admitted. You would need to show symptoms like psychosis or active suicidal ideation.

If you are private pay or have good insurance, you might not need to be quite as severe.

There are people who hate psychiatric hospitals and claim they throw a bunch of meds at you against your will. There is some basis for this. However, if you check yourself in (rather than being brought in by the police, for instance) you are usually free to leave when you wish, and free to reject any medications or treatments you don't want.

It might be sufficient to just rent a motel room in a pretty city and go for walks every day, if you don't really need or want the psychiatric part. Or go to a religious retreat, as blazingstar mentioned.

Are you trying to escape the expectations and hubbub around the holidays?


_________________
Purveyor of uncomfortable truths since 1978.


jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 805
Location: Indiana

07 Dec 2018, 12:39 pm

There is a place called Hazel House out of Nashville Tennessee. You might try them.
https://www.hazelhouse.net/our-team



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,701

07 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Camping

Wilderness

Sensory deprivation tank



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 805
Location: Indiana

07 Dec 2018, 8:01 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Camping

Wilderness

Sensory deprivation tank


Have you ever used a sensory deprivation tank? If so what benefits did it provide? How did it help you?



shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,701

07 Dec 2018, 8:35 pm

jimmy m wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Camping

Wilderness

Sensory deprivation tank


Have you ever used a sensory deprivation tank? If so what benefits did it provide? How did it help you?



No, expensive

But the original poster could go, if desired and enough $$



caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 795
Location: TN

07 Dec 2018, 10:07 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Camping

Wilderness

Sensory deprivation tank


Have you ever used a sensory deprivation tank? If so what benefits did it provide? How did it help you?



No, expensive

But the original poster could go, if desired and enough $$


I never knew there was such a thing.



caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 795
Location: TN

07 Dec 2018, 10:14 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
caThar4G wrote:
Is there some mental health place that specializes in this?

There are psychiatric hospitals and psychiatric wards in general hospitals.

If you rely on public funding, you will have to be in severe need of the help to be admitted. You would need to show symptoms like psychosis or active suicidal ideation.

If you are private pay or have good insurance, you might not need to be quite as severe.

There are people who hate psychiatric hospitals and claim they throw a bunch of meds at you against your will. There is some basis for this. However, if you check yourself in (rather than being brought in by the police, for instance) you are usually free to leave when you wish, and free to reject any medications or treatments you don't want.

It might be sufficient to just rent a motel room in a pretty city and go for walks every day, if you don't really need or want the psychiatric part. Or go to a religious retreat, as blazingstar mentioned.

Are you trying to escape the expectations and hubbub around the holidays?


I'm trying to escape these triggers to sensory issues and thoughts that make me very uncomfortable along with the triggers, making me tense, nervous, build up, angry, worried.
I went to therapy today.
It may have helped a little with positive thinking and some patience.

I have numbers to see about also.

If inspection passes, I can move into an apartment at the end of this month, hopefully and get out of my parents' house.



caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 795
Location: TN

07 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm

^^^
Triggers are dad's pipe smoke (we've done a lot to keep it in his room and blowing out w a fan, but it still seeps out at times).
My room is safe for the most part.

And, TV which isn't really at parents' but other places.



Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,983
Location: Out of my mind

07 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

jimmy m wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Camping

Wilderness

Sensory deprivation tank


Have you ever used a sensory deprivation tank? If so what benefits did it provide? How did it help you?

I've used one.
It gives a deep sense of relaxation and bliss afterwards, although I'm not sure if I enjoyed my time in the tank.
I didn't like my ears underwater but if you relaxed that's what would happen, your head would fall back.
They did have a thing for putting under your head but it kept slipping out.
I was also worried I would miss the cue that the session had ended, turned out it was obvious though.


_________________
It's like I'm sleepwalking


jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 805
Location: Indiana

07 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm

Raleigh wrote:
shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Sensory deprivation tank

I've used one.
It gives a deep sense of relaxation and bliss afterwards


I guess I could understand why this might work. It is like going back into the womb.

On one of the Seal Team television series, I remember the Seals using one to relieve stress.

I wonder if there are any gyms or spas that provide this service?



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 805
Location: Indiana

07 Dec 2018, 11:51 pm

caThar4G wrote:
^^^
Triggers are dad's pipe smoke (we've done a lot to keep it in his room and blowing out w a fan, but it still seeps out at times).
My room is safe for the most part.


I expect a HEPA air filter could remove much of the residual smoke from your dad's room and keep it clean for you. It might be a low cost solution to at least one of your triggers.



Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 887
Location: Smackass Gap, NC

08 Dec 2018, 6:18 am

jimmy m wrote:
caThar4G wrote:
^^^
Triggers are dad's pipe smoke (we've done a lot to keep it in his room and blowing out w a fan, but it still seeps out at times).
My room is safe for the most part.


I expect a HEPA air filter could remove much of the residual smoke from your dad's room and keep it clean for you. It might be a low cost solution to at least one of your triggers.

We made one of these during the wildfires a couple of years ago...



Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 887
Location: Smackass Gap, NC

08 Dec 2018, 6:31 am

My therapist has suggested that I go here to decompress for a few days. Before he died, my teacher had suggested going to a Zen Center near Asheville we're affiliated with, and just sit with their residential community for a few days. My step-mother prefers the monastery in Conyers, Georgia; the Trappist monks vow silence. I know the Zen Center would want some assurance that I'm sufficiently stable that I won't decompensate; I suspect other retreat centers would do the same.