Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm

I only just learned that muesli is supposed to be soaked overnight in water or milk to remove the phytic acid. This apparently makes grains easier to digest. That's part of why it's meant to be healthy. It was originally used as part of a treatment plan in a Swiss hospital.

Well anyway I've put a bowl in to soak in some almond milk in the fridge tonight. Looking forward to eating it in the morning. Anyone else interested in trying it or have done already?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 5:08 pm

Oh really? I love muesli. I have it with yoghurt.

If you have a look online there's loads of recipes for overnight oats.

I really do enjoy them crunchy though.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 5:26 pm

With yogurt, that's posh! :) I prefer crunchy texture too to be honest. Maybe I'll get used to the soggier soaked version.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try different ways with the soaking.

Muesli is growing on me a lot. When I don't have the energy to cook a bowl is filling and so easy to make.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 5:29 pm

Yeah, I've had that, you can add all sorts of things like grated carrot, orange juice, yoghurt and date syrup which tastes really good.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

Grated carrot sounds good. Did you notice any health benefits?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 6:54 pm

fifasy wrote:
Grated carrot sounds good. Did you notice any health benefits?

Yeah, light and springy feeling. Juicing, cutting out gluten and soaking muesli is all worth doing in terms of noticeable health benefits if you have the time and can afford it.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

My standard breakfast is rolled oats, nuts, and dried fruit, cooked two minutes in the microwave. I add just a little milk to that. The oatmeal doesn't need any sweetening due to the sweetness of the fruit, and I'm sure the oils in the nuts are good for me. I've been eating this 6 or 7 days a week for the past 10 years. Although I crave variety in my lunches and dinners, for breakfast I can't desire anything more perfect than this simple meal.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2018, 10:32 am

That's pretty healthy Bea.

I had the overnight soaked muesli, it was surprisingly yummy. The mushiness was actually comforting.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2018, 6:14 pm

I soak some combination of steel cut oats, unroasted buckwheat groats, quinoa, slow cook oats and nuts overnight, then rinse em and cook them with banana and cinnamon and add frozen berries close to the end. I stir it up with vegan protein powder and yogurt to keep me full longer. I’ve been eating either that or eggs for breakfast for the last 5 years or so. I love having a hot breakfast.

larteaga
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2018, 9:45 pm

I buy Familia and mix it with Fage Greek Yogurt and add blueberries/strawberries.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 10:35 pm

fifasy wrote:
I only just learned that muesli is supposed to be soaked overnight in water or milk to remove the phytic acid. This apparently makes grains easier to digest.

I had no idea about that. I've just soaked it and eaten it, which can make it too crunchy for my taste...

I like my muesli with flavored yoghurt because I don't like the taste of pure milk although flavored cultured milk is okay.

I like muesli in the hot summer, but when it's colder it doesn't feel solid and filling enough, so the rest of the year I eat slices of bread for breakfast, that's how it goes in a cold country.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765