What is the best measure of intelligence?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 5:21 am

For those on the spectrum. It seems to me that given some can be much more non-verbal and others much more verbal
any approach, testing non-verbally or verbally, may result in an underestimation of a person's intelligence.
Should the focus instead be on cognitive strengths and weaknesses? Cultivating the former while seeking to improve the latter.

halfwave
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2018, 5:28 am

Those who cause the least amount of damage to the planet with the lowest energy consumption.
I'm still thinking about the unit of measure. :)

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 5:43 am

I agree, in tests when my nephews are asked to find something in a picture their eyes go straight to it but they don't point it out.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:15 am

There are those cultural fair IQ tests that are entirely pictures. Do they qualify as "non-verbal"?

They're extremely frustrating to do, though. :)

They do have those psycho-educational tests for children that are very comprehensive. Find all their strengths and weaknesses. Useful for planning IEP. Not sure if there's any for adults.

halfwave
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2018, 7:41 am

The problem with these is to confront the person with how much s/he differs from others. If s/he does not know this numerically, s/he feels enough in his life. It should be approached differently. But I don't have idea, I'm just an aspie. :D

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2018, 7:46 am

Forget about intelligence. It’s about how much money you have.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 10:04 am

Intelligence is being able to apply what you've learned. Otherwise, it's all a bunch of useless information that clutters your mind. I consider myself to be book smart, but life dumb. However, my functional skills have improved quite a bit over the last few years.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 1:11 pm

First of all you have to define intelligence just to know what you have to measure. Otherwise it's just what an intelligence test measures and then it's quite equal which kind of riddles or tasks you choose for this.

Btw: there isn't such a thing as only a single kind of intelligence.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:23 pm

Let's try an abstract definition that even fits for animals, aliens and artifical intelligence:
Intelligence is the ability to recognize relations and problems and - basing on this - to find optimal solutions for recognized problems.
Because of the different types of existing problems there exist different kinds of a related intelligence too.

Samples:
A problem can be how to dress and style right, how to make friends, howto act, howto dance, successfully hunting or fishing, to solve mathematical equations or to program computers, howto drive a car or a bike, howto build a plant aso. What is the best measurement of how intelligent you are once it comes to this?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 11:36 pm

quite an extreme wrote:

Samples:
A problem can be how to dress and style right, how to make friends, howto act, howto dance, successfully hunting or fishing, to solve mathematical equations or to program computers, howto drive a car or a bike, howto build a plant aso. What is the best measurement of how intelligent you are once it comes to this?

Well based on those I'd be a remedial class candidate .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:06 am

I am guessing a usable metric would be the total good index, which quantifies what positive [life-affirming] acts you have committed so far, such as how many people you have helped to help others. this doesn't require high intelligence per se - mainly clear-headedness and abundant energy are required - but high intelligence surely is helpful in maximizing the helpfulness.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:11 am

Intelligence cannot be properly measured.
It is an internal thing that manifests differently in practice for everyone.

All you can do is measure certain areas of intelligence, but that won't show the whole story.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:39 am

Arganger wrote:

All you can do is measure certain areas of intelligence, but that won't show the whole story.

So does that mean there are no intelligent or unintelligent people? But just people who have different thinking skills.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:44 am

firemonkey wrote:
Arganger wrote:

So does that mean there are no intelligent or unintelligent people? But just people who have different thinking skills.

More like it is to arbitrary to effectively tell.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 2:14 am

The best measure is determined by the reason for the intelligence evaluation. There is no one best measure for evaluating anyone's intelligence.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 1:40 pm

Pure problem solving ability. Nonverbal test like placing images in a proper order to tell a story can be very biased.