Feeling melancholy about society

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:53 pm

I have felt melancholy for a few years about the current climate of society and issues in the world. America and a lot of the rest of society don't look good in the future and it will not recover again, I don't want this to turn into a partisan fight so please don't post here if you want to dispute me about it. I'm just leaving it here. I don't know how to cope well if we assume the worst is going to happen. It's like I feel lost and don't have a very clear idea why except that I feel some kind of emotional numbness and can't seem to go forward or think positively.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 7:56 pm

Everything is a cycle, my friend. We're going through a bad time now.

But---a couple of years from now---I believe things will get better.

People will rebel against all the crap!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I talk about it on this site sometimes and I'm actually still in a bitter and depressed state.

I know a lot of people that believe America is going to fall or that we are heading down the road to a very repressive system. I wouldn't really dismiss it and we are far down the middle of that road already. So that kind of fall is just inevitable no matter if the class who are below the elites and powerful people rebel or not. Society and the culture already made it so far in.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:10 pm

There's going to be a point when Americans will not accept being in a more repressive society than what is happening at present. People are going to rebel against Trumpism.

Americans don't like being governed by a dictatorial sort.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's going to be a point when Americans will not accept being in a more repressive society than what is happening at present. People are going to rebel against Trumpism.

Americans don't like being governed by a dictatorial sort.

This doesn't have to do with just Trumpism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:19 pm

I agree.....but Trumpism is a big part of it these days.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Exactly. Nice thoughts, Kraftie.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 8:22 pm

What are you doing to improve things, Hollywood Guy? Have you run for office? Worked on a political campaign? Donated money to one? Served as a watchdog in the capacity of an investigative journalist? Been a poll watcher? Signed up voters?

If the answer is "nothing," then stop looking for sympathy for your melancholy. Melancholy is a lazy cop-out for people who don't want to get off their tuchus and participate.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2018, 11:39 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
What are you doing to improve things, Hollywood Guy? Have you run for office? Worked on a political campaign? Donated money to one? Served as a watchdog in the capacity of an investigative journalist? Been a poll watcher? Signed up voters?

If the answer is "nothing," then stop looking for sympathy for your melancholy. Melancholy is a lazy cop-out for people who don't want to get off their tuchus and participate.

It's hard to be motivated or for the average person to be heard when the media is owned by a group of a few powerful oligarchs who all have a similar sworn agenda to sway and manipulate the countries where they operate.
But no, I didn't really do any of those things, but I might be interested in a couple you suggested. The other point is that our government and society already made big mistakes and now it's only a matter of when a big shock comes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:09 am

know what your insurmountable [hard] limits are, then work maximally within said limits to improve your corner of the world, even if it is just one other person. do the opposite of the MAGA brigades, be more selfless and less selfish.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:43 am

I will start by actually voting next election.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 12:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I agree.....but Trumpism is a big part of it these days.

Trumps made it better I fear going back to what we had before. Trump is like trying to break before we crash but the crash is sadly unavoidable
From what I understand op is more conservative and leaning pro trump. So I doubt he thinks trump is cause of society harm this society harm has been happing for centuries

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 7:28 am

Trump is, at least somewhat, enabling all the Alt-Right crazies to come out of the woodwork.

Most people who support Trump aren’t Alt-Right crazies, it should be noted. Yes, there are left-wing crazies, too.

Trump, in general, is promoting a reactionary, rather than a proactive, stance on things.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:06 am

TW1ZTY wrote:

Thank you, son! It's a good start!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:12 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

It's hard to be motivated or for the average person to be heard when the media is owned by a group of a few powerful oligarchs who all have a similar sworn agenda to sway and manipulate the countries where they operate.
But no, I didn't really do any of those things, but I might be interested in a couple you suggested. The other point is that our government and society already made big mistakes and now it's only a matter of when a big shock comes.

So, you have some excuses why it's hard to be motivated to take either political or pro-societal action. Not good enough. Here's a suggestion. Try doing a little bit of action, then a little bit more. If you vote in presidential elections, also vote in state and local ones. Acting gives you some sense of moving in your direction of choice. It's motivating in itself.

My own view is, I'm unhappy with some things I see in society, but the pendulum always swings the other way - eventually - and in the meantime, I do what I can. I like to say, "I vote, because you have no right to complain if you don't even vote, and I want to be able to complain."

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2018, 9:31 am

BeaArthur wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Thank you, son! It's a good start!

Yeah I won't regret it this election like I did last election. I would have voted against him because I knew he was bad news from the start.

Even if he gets elected again at least I can tell other people and myself that my vote did not go towards him. ;)