Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 3:02 am

Brickleberry rocked! Too bad it only lasted three seasons. Its follow-up, Paradise PD, was nowhere near as funny.

F Is For Family I also like. It's not that funny but it is brutal in its honest depiction of a dysfunctional 70's family.

South Park I used to like, but now that I know the creators of that show lean to the right, I can see through their politics and the series just isn't funny anymore.

Mr. Pickles is pretty good. The grandpa is my favourite character.

Bordertown only lasted one season but I thought it had potential. Oh well.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 3:24 am

Archer. That is all.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 5:20 pm

I remember the 'Dilbert' cartoon some years ago and thought it was appealing and could it expect it to be 'adult animation' whilst not losing it's attempts to be meaningful by commenting on corporate culture. Honestly, given the current state of the newspaper publication industry I am :| somewhat surprised by how there are not as many animated adaptations of newspaper comics, I remember 'For better or for worse' which I thought was dull at the time but in hindsight I think I would like.

I am not sure how many 'feminist points' I lose for liking something with the involvement of someone who has a history of sexual assault--recently I have found 'Mike Tyson mysteries' effective, short and helping me out of mental funks.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 2:17 pm

Quote:
..And because most cartoons in the 21st century are targeted at lonely grown-ups anyway, it's for adults.

in a paragraph under the heading 'A Harley Quinn Animated Comedy From The S--t My Dad Says Guy' on the following Cracked article http://www.cracked.com/article_26103_10 ... -2019.html .

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2018, 11:15 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
-Sword Art Online and Accel World (Yes, they should be considered as adult animations, at least in the English dub!)

These aren't adult animation. Their source material and main fanbase are written for/consist of middle and high school kids.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 3:45 am

Also, I think putting them up as examples of adult animation would reinforce the notion that adult animation does suck.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

A Scanner Darkly based off of Phillip K. Dick's novel of the same name and directed by Richard Linklater is a terrific movie in its own right and IMO, a faithful adaptation of the book.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 9:49 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Also, I think putting them up as examples of adult animation would reinforce the notion that adult animation does suck.

..or at least that it doesn't outside of the .U.S. . 'Fire and ice' had Frank Franzetta's involvement, 'Turok: Son of Stone' was modest effort back in 2k8 and 'Waltz with Bashir' shows what can be done when the politicized stuff isn't presented with satire but with a vivid animation style.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 10:32 pm

Maybe it's just because I'm getting old, but I find nearly all animation has sucked or just hasn't been worth my time since the early 2000's, no matter what its target audience's age is. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw MLP: FiM, though.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 1:04 pm

From the best adult comedy ever.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 10:58 am

Aspiegaming wrote:

Why is this not on DVD or iTunes?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 5:37 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

It is on DVD. All 70 episodes in one box set.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 6:56 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
-Sword Art Online and Accel World (Yes, they should be considered as adult animations, at least in the English dub!)

These aren't adult animation. Their source material and main fanbase are written for/consist of middle and high school kids.

Have you EVEN watched the English dub of those anime?

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

how about some real animation for grownups? anomalisa has been mentioned, also waltz with bashir. I'd like to add miyazaki's the wind rises and princess mononoke, as well as belladonna of sadness. also persepolis.

most american animation, nay, make that movies in general, for adults, is really children's films with added sex and violence. But problems are often black and white, there are simple solutions, and of course, bad guys who are so bad it's okay to kill them, and good guys who are so good, it doesn't taint their characters in the slightest when they kill bad guys.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 11:23 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

It is on DVD. All 70 episodes in one box set.

:roll: I remember how disturbed I was watching this when I was most likely less than double-digits in age, esp. with what needless violence happened to the bear duo.

shlaifu wrote:
how about some real animation for grownups? anomalisa has been mentioned, also waltz with bashir. I'd like to add miyazaki's the wind rises and princess mononoke, as well as belladonna of sadness. also persepolis.

most american animation, nay, make that movies in general, for adults, is really children's films with added sex and violence. But problems are often black and white, there are simple solutions, and of course, bad guys who are so bad it's okay to kill them, and good guys who are so good, it doesn't taint their characters in the slightest when they kill bad guys.

4/5-agree :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6P3E9ikJs

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:38 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

:| What you said makes me think something could be said about the 2k18 'Watership Down'.

The original's visceral-ness makes sense as far as what you could expect from xenofiction hence I feel like saying 'I call b.s. ' when generations raised on the Dragonball series, Cowboy Bebop and Attack on Titan say it's disturbing. The 70's movie imo is a rare example of violence in Western animation before the influx of 90's anime and the more 'real deal' cross-pollination influences arrived post- 'Avatar: the legend of Aang' ( 11:46-13:06: https://youtu.be/ARhFi0XoTzY?t=706 ).