Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 11:33 am

The US math program is designed to fail. The owners don't want you to be able to tell how to save money, or even figure out your pay stub. In school, I only did well in geometry, but on my own, I learned enough for serious engineering. To learn a new problem, I'd first work it using very small numbers that I could check in my head.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2018, 7:05 pm

Arganger wrote:
Anyone else, due to extreme frustration with it, feel completely worthless while doing math?
I never feel worse than when I am doing it and it doesn't help that my mom doesn't think I'm trying. In reality it makes no sense to me at all, and I really cannot retain any of it.

Don't worry about it, Arganger. Some people are good at this, others at that. Just try to find out what you can do well, (or something you like to do) and focus on that. Personally I like math very much.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 6:58 am

Piobaire wrote:
I was diagnosed with ADD & Dyscalculia as a very young child, and the repetitive failure (and bullying by other children and emotional abuse of some teachers) was a real mindf**k that haunted me from elementary school all the way through graduate school. You are not worthless; base your sense of self-worth on how you treat others, as a good and gentle person. Hateful self-centered and cruel people are worthless; not you.

Do you remember what the assessment process was like? Also, did you have to take a dyslexia test before it? Personally, it just baffles me somewhat that some people manage to get a dyscalculia diagnosis so young. I'm still trying as a young adult. Was it expensive for your parents, or did your school cover it? I was often discouraged by teachers, they thought that I shouldn't label it. These days I'm wondering if there's even any point to perusing a diagnosis at this stage. Did it help you at all?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

The highest level of math I ever took was Algebra 2-and this was when I was almost a senior in college, not high school, when I should have taken it. By that time, I was almost finished with my BA in English. I did take a Math Survey course, which sampled statistics and probability, a subject that interested me. However, I don't think I would have been smart enough to take an actual statistics class.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

Flunked the first two calculus courses, each once

Flunked the fifth one three times

Gained 15 pounds gorging

Strongly considered suicide

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

i'm glad i'm not the only innumerate one here. :nerdy:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 7:34 pm

Out of the Theory of Multiple Intelligences and the academic subjects, math is, by far, my best

And still not good enough for structural engineer

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2018, 8:56 pm

I have NVLD, and I often feel inferior and inadequate due to my difficulties with math. I am luckier than many NVLD-ers, in that I'm actually very good at algebra. So, I was able to make it through calculus, albeit with many difficulties along the way. The only math I'm good at is pure algebra, but that allowed me to get through most of the math and science classes I needed.

Why I personally feel inadequate is that I'm a scientist, so I wish that I were able to understand higher-level math and physics. The main reason I didn't pursue med school is because the MCAT requires a lot of math and physics. I have really high abilities in many areas, and I wish that my IQ scores weren't so uneven. If my PIQ/math/visual-spatial abilities were where my VIQ abilities are, I would have been able to do so much more science and such, and that makes me sad.

Due to the NVLD, I struggle the most with visual-spatial aspects of math. There really aren't many visual-spatial aspects of algebra, which is why I'm good at it. Algebra is mainly rules to follow and patterns and repetition. Geometry was very hard for me, and trig was next to impossible. Trig was the hardest math for me, since there wasn't much algebra involved and it was all graphing and such.

I'm also lucky in that my visual-spatial abilities aren't nearly as impaired as they were when I was a child. I vividly remember as late as sixth grade not understanding how a heart shape had internal symmetry. In my teen years, I developed the ability to visualize things in 3D to a certain degree, and this is why I was able to get through organic chemistry. When I did my IQ test officially, the neuropsychologist who administered my test said that she and the others were fascinated by me because my visual-spatial abilities were so poor on timed tests, but on untimed tests (like matrices), I did very well. I can do visual-spatial puzzles and stuff when given a lot of time, but my inherent abilities are still very impaired. This is why I probably will never drive. I cannot judge speed and distance and stuff like that.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 10:00 pm

The community college licensed clinical social worker did not know the difference between body massage index and percentage body fat

And she sure does not act like she thinks she is "worthless"

The community college nutrition instructor put an exclamation point after the number four

What is so great about math anyways?

:roll:

:mrgreen:

Scribble hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2018, 7:07 am

Omg I feel the exact same way! I once thought I had done “poorly” on a math test. I had such a hard time with it that I was convinced I was gonna fail. The next day I brought a hobby knife to school because I was so frustrated with myself. I sort of never stopped after that. Yes, my self harm started because of math. That’s kinda funny to me.

Oh yeah, it turned out I did fine, I just got an “average”, which is possibly the biggest slap in the face i’ve ever gotten.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2018, 7:19 am

I’m terrible at laundry, but great at math.

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Dec 2018, 11:14 am

I have the same problem. It's like looking at a foreign language, I can see what's on the page but my brain can't make any sense of it.

fakenews
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2018, 1:36 pm

Piobaire wrote:
I was diagnosed with ADD & Dyscalculia as a very young child, and the repetitive failure (and bullying by other children and emotional abuse of some teachers) was a real mindf**k that haunted me from elementary school all the way through graduate school. You are not worthless; base your sense of self-worth on how you treat others, as a good and gentle person. Hateful self-centered and cruel people are worthless; not you.

Well written.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

God yes. I've struggled with math all of my life. I can do basic math, but for the life of me I can't seem to retain any info for anything more complicated such as algebra formulas. It just doesn't stay in my brain. Someone will show me how to solve a formula and I'll forget how to do it 5 minutes later. My brain is like Swiss cheese.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 10:04 pm

There is no method of measuring your retail value

Many precious lil "people" act like they are the greatest thing since sliced bread