Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

williambrown
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2018, 7:07 pm

I'm sitting in the bathroom as I type this, as it has become my only alone space. Often after my step father leaves, I feel the need to escape for a bit and just be alone. I think this is because I tend to hold onto the emotions of people around me and my step father is a very impatient, temper filled person. This causes me a lot of anxiety trying to "tiptoe" around him (make sure he doesn't get upset & yell) so I need to be alone after he visits for the day. This doesn't only happen with him though, sometimes I'll be talking to my mom and the conversation will lull or turn to a subject that gives me anxiety, or with my brother or anyone else. So I guess my question is how best to be alone? It's getting hard to justify my 30 minute long "poop's" since I'm not actually pooping.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 7:38 pm

Not knowing your age and your employment situation, it is not possible to give a meaningful answer.

williambrown
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2018, 8:32 pm

Sorry I didn't think about that, I'm 18 now & unemployed

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:36 pm

Unless you know that you are going to college, military enlistment may be your only option.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:41 pm

Join the military to be alone ? 8O

Best way to be alone is stay in your bedroom , be antisocial or enjoy long walks by yourself.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:43 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Join the military to be alone?
No, to get away from family. But if solitude is the goal, then becoming a shack-dwelling survivalist or a cell-dwelling monk may be the key.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2018, 8:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
But if solitude is the goal, then becoming a shack-dwelling survivalist or a cell-dwelling monk may be the key.

That'll work

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 1:01 am

If there is a library close by, you might go there when you are stressed out. Generally it is a quiet and there are plenty of books to read. Or go to a movie. Or go to a park. If your stepdad is about, you might ask him if there are any chores that need to be done. It may change his perspective about you. You might find a part time job. That will get you out of the house.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 1:14 am

This is an autism forum, so long as he is diagnosed enlistment is not possible.

Try to get a job, or at very least find a rather secluded spot outside of your home, like the corner of a library to use. It sucks to be stuck around a lot of people, but in the end there is only so much you can do.

If collage is an option, find a smaller one and ask for a housing accommodation to get a space to yourself.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 6:21 am

Arganger wrote:

Is that correct ? Is a diagnosis of autism a disqualifying condition?

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 7:03 am

The way I dealt with this was by moving just over 2,000km away.
They actually miss me now and we are civil. Not much communication, but that is okay in a way. I have my own life and person to be and they sort of would try to mould me into something different by shaming or showing disapproval in many different ways. I felt trapped. They actually tell me they miss me and love me now.

I think if you think this could be an option for you at some point, if you could cope with doing this, even just for a little while. It has the potential to greatly help your relationship with them. Being away from them in your daily life, more than hiding in the bathroom etc (which I used to do at times) could help you.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 7:07 am

I'm assuming you share a bedroom with someone, otherwise you'd hide out in your room.

I don't know if you live in a rural area, or if you live in a town/city where, perhaps, you could walk to work. Even if it's a part-time job, it'll get you out of the house and you'll be able to have alone time on your lunch break.

In addition to the military, there's also programs like Peace Corps., Merchant Marines (which, technically, isn't considered military...I don't think). The priesthood, as someone else said, and even those teach-English-in-a-foreign-country programs, though you might need college education.

Or are you asking how to avoid them without moving away? I'd go with the part-time job to get out of the house.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Arganger wrote:

In the us autism is disqualifying and frankly so is almost everything. They barely accept glasses.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

Arganger wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Arganger wrote:

In the us autism is disqualifying and frankly so is almost everything. They barely accept glasses.

:roll: Their loss

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 4:25 pm

Peace Corps doesn't want anyone with any psychiatric history, either.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Dec 2018, 10:40 pm

WallflowerAsparagus wrote:
The way I dealt with this was by moving just over 2,000km away.
They actually miss me now and we are civil. Not much communication, but that is okay in a way. I have my own life and person to be and they sort of would try to mould me into something different by shaming or showing disapproval in many different ways. I felt trapped. They actually tell me they miss me and love me now.

I think if you think this could be an option for you at some point, if you could cope with doing this, even just for a little while. It has the potential to greatly help your relationship with them. Being away from them in your daily life, more than hiding in the bathroom etc (which I used to do at times) could help you.
That's been my experince. I have a much better relationship with my family since I moved from Louisiana to Vermont to be with my girlfriend. She understands & accepts me aLOT better than my parents but she's also on the spectrum & has other disabilities & conditions.
I spent most of my time in my room when my parents had company. I would sometimes come out thou to eat or drink water or something & then the company would talk to me for a bit. The next time we would have company coming, my mom would give me some speech before they came about how it's her company. They're there to visit her & I need to respect their privacy.

BeaArthur wrote:
Peace Corps doesn't want anyone with any psychiatric history, either.
I know cuz of the letter I got when they rejected me. I have a lot of other disabilities too thou & they won't accept any of them. They might would of been more accepting if I would of had some special skills or education. Only having a high-skewl diploma & only retail & restaurant job history does NOT cut it with them if you have disabilities.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition