New games for old timers to pick up

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 1:24 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
I'd love to get back into the original Pokémon games from the late nineties; red, blue and yellow. I don't suppose there's any way of doing this without forking out on an ancient console that'll break the first time I switch it on.

Hate all video games later than about 2006, though for different reasons from Hurtloam's.

You can get dozens of old Nintendo games on the Virtual Console and play them on newer Nintendo consoles. All the GBC pokemon games are available for $10 or less for the Nintendo 3DS. It really shouldn't cost that much considering how old it is but you can get it that way. And you can trade and battle people who also have the games on their 3DS's. Emulation is a cheaper option but rom's of games are only legal to have if you have a physical copy of the game you want.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

Misery wrote:
Honestly, the best thing you could do is to just go browse along either Steam, or Itch.io. 2D graphics are huge right now. Alot of gamers dont get so easily "wowed" by 3D graphics nowadays (because we've all seen it a million times now), so developers have been realizing that they can use ANY type of graphics, and it turned out that many prefer 2D (both devs and players).

I mean seriously, you can find THOUSANDS of 2D games in any genre. Itch.io in particular is a place that focuses very heavily on those.

Note that Itch.io is much easier to browse than Steam. Steam has all sorts of gems to find... but it's actual storefront is a busted disaster.

I agree, browsing in steam you can find a lot of quick "cheap snacks" as well as maybe the game that hooks you.
.io has games that are fun, simple and many are free and in your browser.

I started playing minecraft given to me for birthday 4 years ago. I play Simcity. I also pvp and raid in games like LoL and WoW/Secret World/SWTOR
Both in SP and MP; I play a lot of games. I also use emulators for many of my old favorites (I also still own most my consoles from 70s thru 90s)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 1:38 pm

I'm a bit overwhelmed with steam. There's so much choice wow!

I'm playing Child of Light and I'm hooked. Took me a while to figure out how to do the combat scenes though and what to do with the gems. It was on offer so I got it really cheap.

I've been looking up some of these suggestions. I've found that typing in all your suggestions has given me similar steam recommendations. I've just found a game called Seasons after Fall which looks right up my street.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 3:00 pm

Oh man Seasons after fall is not doing my motion sickness any favours.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

If you want to be nostalgic of old games get the Super Nes Classic or the Nes classic. they come with like 30 games and are under $100

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 4:39 pm

enz wrote:
If you want to be nostalgic of old games get the Super Nes Classic or the Nes classic. they come with like 30 games and are under $100

Yeah, I have thought about that, but I'd need to buy a monitor too. I don't have a tv. I just use my laptop for tv shows at the moment. If I ever get a tv I am so snapping up a mini snes!

I quoted snes games as a sort of point to jump forward from. I really like modern graphics with an artistic sort of style. Clean cut lines.

I am such a casual though and I need guidance from more experienced gamers so I don't waste my money.

I've found some good review channels on YouTube.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 4:40 pm

My favourite game ever was the bitmap bros Magic Pockets on the Amiga. I've found an emulator for that!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

hurtloam wrote:
My favourite game ever was the bitmap bros Magic Pockets on the Amiga. I've found an emulator for that!

Technically you can find emulators for basically anything. Even ancient types of PCs you've never even heard of.

If you do want to play the old SNES things, it's easy to just use basic emulators rather than buying that gizmo. It's not a bad device (I got one for christmas) but it is costly.

Okay, I see you said you have a laptop there... it doesnt have an HDMI port? That's what damn near everything is using these days (including the NES/SNES classic). Most laptops I've seen recently seem to have such a thing.

Anyway, that stuff aside, here's the big question: What sorts of things are you looking for in games? I mean like, really specifically. I dont mean graphics though, I mean gameplay elements and whatnot.

We can list a bazillion different suggestions, but on PC games have gotten so freakishly varied that those suggestions are going to be totally all over the place. Narrowing things down a bit might go a long way.

So yeah... what are you liking about the games you're playing so far, what are you NOT liking? What genres seem appealing to you right now? What genres just seem boring or stupid?

As for not wasting your money... well, just check reviews. Steam's reviews can definitely be a mixed bag, what with people doing things like leaving joke reviews, or leaving negative reviews because of a technical problem that happens on THEIR end, but generally if there's a developer/publisher doing something shady or ripping people off, you'll spot that immediately by checking those reviews (because nothing angers Steam gamers more than that). And that's the main thing you really want to watch out for, because there's some shady jerks on Steam, thanks to an utter lack of even the tiniest bit of effort on Valve's part.

The other thing though I would suggest is not reviews, but instead, simple gameplay videos. Just someone playing the game normally instead of focusing on specific aspects for a review. It's the easiest way to see what a game is REALLY like. Reviews are nice and all, but most video reviews are not so much made to show off a given game, as they are made to get you to subscribe to the video maker. Not to mention that whole debacle with gaming journalism lately. Let's just say, professional reviewers dont have a good reputation right now.

On a total side note, I'd wondered what you meant by Seasons After Fall affecting your motion sickness, it being a 2D game, but when I look at it.... there's something really "off" about the way the camera moves around. Really just... doesnt look right. Kinda floaty and weird, particularly when presented with those backgrounds. At least to me anyway.