Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 7:35 pm

Well I put a BLUNT header up! :lol: ! :mrgreen: ! !! !! !! !! !! !! :wink:
So ~ what about tending to have a low, rather flattened-out, speech patters/tone of voice not unlike Sheldon - the world's most famous " undiagnosed Aspie " character - in CBS-TV's THE BIG BANG THEORY, now in its umpteenth season 8) :| ? Des anyone here find themselves slipping into a similar tone/manner? If you were diagnosed later in life, do you findyourself, sort of, falling into it? In my case, as I fell/grew more into the " Aspie " identity, maybe I fell into it a bit :roll: ~ Maybe with very little, anyway, awareness of TBBT ~ I don't have a TV! And when I have access to one (Like in the hospital :roll: ) I tend to watch Turner Classic Movies :heart: , cartoons, recently, CNN :|
Do any NT friends people (non-/unfriendly people aside :( ) comment about it to you? Perhaps as a joke? Or even double back to getting self-consious/" Um, I don't wanna offend you, but..." :lol: ?!?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2018, 8:13 pm

Nope. Don't have the Sheldon voice or intonation.

SheepleTheSqueakquel
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2018, 12:13 am

Yes, my entire life, I have spoken with a really low, monotone voice, especially when I was younger. People would/do tell me all the time that I talk like a robot. Even had people explicitly compare me to Sheldon. Also that I sometimes talk way too fast.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2018, 7:01 am

ASS-P wrote:
Well I put a BLUNT header up! :lol: ! :mrgreen: ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :wink:
So ~ what about tending to have a low, rather flattened-out, speech patters/tone of voice not unlike Sheldon - the world's most famous " undiagnosed Aspie " character - in CBS-TV's THE BIG BANG THEORY, now in its umpteenth season 8) :| ? Des anyone here find themselves slipping into a similar tone/manner? If you were diagnosed later in life, do you findyourself, sort of, falling into it? In my case, as I fell/grew more into the " Aspie " identity, maybe I fell into it a bit :roll: ~ Maybe with very little, anyway, awareness of TBBT ~ I don't have a TV! And when I have access to one (Like in the hospital :roll: ) I tend to watch Turner Classic Movies :heart: , cartoons, recently, CNN :|
Do any NT friends people (non-/unfriendly people aside :( ) comment about it to you? Perhaps as a joke? Or even double back to getting self-consious/" Um, I don't wanna offend you, but..." :lol: ?!?

You lost me at CNN.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 7:22 am

I had a monotone others would comment on until I approached middle age. Then I fixed a ton of things. But, my 20s weren't exactly wasted. I saved for a house and retirement and elevated myself in the job market. Learned how to travel. But, yeah, I was just like Sheldon in a lot of ways. I'm just like Sheldon, but a lot shorter.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 7:30 am

Not voice or intonation but I don't change the words I use simply because I'm speaking rather than writing or because I'm writing informally rather than academically.
Mum called me out on it yesterday. Didn't call me out, she misheard me (can't remember what she misheard).
Me: 'Someone i.e. mum has written the score you need to gain the bonus points on the back of the Yahtzee scoring pad. It's sixty three not sixty'
Mum: 'What does i.e. mum mean?'
Me: 'I said someone at first because nobody signed it but then I noticed it was in your handwriting so I said i.e. mum'
Mum: 'Oh I misheard'

I don't think you're supposed to say i.e. if you want to sound NT. Maybe you're meant to say 'someone, I think it's mum' or 'someone, I mean mum' or something like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:55 am

Sheldon, to me, has a more "emotive," almost feminine voice than a "robotic" voice.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 10:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sheldon, to me, has a more "emotive," almost feminine voice than a "robotic" voice.

Thank you.
I don't know what all of these folks are talking about either.

Spock, in Star Trek, is monotone, and deadpan.

Sheldon has aspie personality traits, but he doesn't speak in a monotone at all. He can be excitable. On top of that he also comes as a bit fay/gay. Reminds me a gay store manager I worked who had identical mannerisms. The gay aspect seems to be the actor's real self leaking through, and has nothing to do with the character he is playing.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 19 Dec 2018, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 12:37 pm

I'd say if anything my voice tends to be overly inflected. It just goes up sometimes when I don't mean it to, especially if something about the situation makes me feel awkward.