This Is What Happens 1 Second Before Black Holes Die

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 1:58 am

Equally bizarre and fascinating.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 3:12 am

This is interesting, but it seems to have holes. Something half of the mass of the moon would not contain anywhere near enough energy or gravity to form a black hole.

Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 7:47 am

Yeah, that might have been a sketchy example. If the process is correct though this would mean that if a black hole formed from a star of 3-5 solar masses it would be a prime candidate for Hawking radiation to induce this effect. As with all mathematical models they're provisional, albeit interesting, until tested.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:55 am

hale_bopp wrote:
This is interesting, but it seems to have holes. Something half of the mass of the moon would not contain anywhere near enough energy or gravity to form a black hole.

Welcome back to WP, @hale_bopp!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm

MaxE wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Welcome back to WP, @hale_bopp!

Thanks mate! Good to see you.