How do you deal with being precieved as dumb?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 5:38 am

To many 100% correct grammar and spelling means intelligence, or having a college degree in a field you work.

I work hard with my spelling. Care a lot about it but I fail. I often screen at my iPad and desire to throw it because it makes a mistake repeat and I have to spend hours correcting it. I spend hours posting on this site.

Sadly the voice to text thing is super inaccurate due to my speech impediment. So I use google to get correct spellings of words I can’t remember or don’t know all this takes time. Also smart phones and iPads keyboard is no where as good as s physical keyboard so it makes tons of mistakes it frustrates me so much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 7:45 am

You’re not dumb, Sly.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2018, 8:18 am

But it would help if you spelled "perceived" correctly. Lol!

But joking aside..

Sounds like you spend too much time online, and not enough time interacting with folks face to face. In real offline conversation no one would even know whether you can spell or not.

But you don't come off as dumb, or illiterate, even here on WP in my opinion if that's what you're worried about.

Ligma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2018, 12:03 pm

been dealing w/the same thing as well. my grammar & stuff are way better in-person, face-to-face but ppl rarely know it cause I'm autistic & I can't talk to them

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2018, 2:04 pm

sly279 wrote:
How Do You Deal With Being Precieved As Dumb?
I simply take every opportunity to prove them wrong.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 2:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re not dumb, Sly.

Im noot a Harvard grade so yes apparently I’m dumb.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 10:04 pm

sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re not dumb, Sly.

Im noot a Harvard grade so yes apparently I’m dumb.

I’ve never been to college or university. I’ve taken short certificate courses, but no real post-secondary schooling. I know I’m not dumb. You are more educated than me!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Dec 2018, 5:46 am

My grammar is pretty bad due to dyslexia & bad motor-skills that can also make typing & writing difficult. I admit that I am stupid compared to the stereotyped Aspie & even a typical NT but I do NOT need it to be pointed out by grammar natzis wo ignore the whole content of my posts just to point out my grammar/typing errors.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 12:57 pm

sly279 wrote:
To many 100% correct grammar and spelling means intelligence, or having a college degree in a field you work.

I work hard with my spelling. Care a lot about it but I fail. I often screen at my iPad and desire to throw it because it makes a mistake repeat and I have to spend hours correcting it. I spend hours posting on this site.

Sadly the voice to text thing is super inaccurate due to my speech impediment. So I use google to get correct spellings of words I can’t remember or don’t know all this takes time. Also smart phones and iPads keyboard is no where as good as s physical keyboard so it makes tons of mistakes it frustrates me so much.

When I was in school I took a course in typing. It turned out to be one of the most useful classes I took in high school. This is because an Aspie’s weakness is verbal communications and their great strength is written communications. I consider typing to be a quintessential task and almost a mandatory class for an Aspie. I think I can still type at around 60 words per minute. In today’s world, this type of course might be referred to as keyboarding. I find many of the modern keyboards to be unworkable because they often produced double strikes or no strikes. So I bought a special keyboard called a Das Keyboard Model S Professional for my Mac computer because it gives an audible click every time a key is depressed, similar to a typewriter. This keyboard provides outstanding tactile and audible feedback.

In your case, you have an iPad. iPads can be configured with keyboards that are bluetooth compatible. The Das keyboard I have is hardwired. But there may be other external wireless keyboards that exist that have bluetooth configurations.

One of the problems I have is with auto spelling correctors. They will sometimes alter the typing without me even realizing it was done. WP is especially bad at auto checker changes. Sometimes it can make my writing almost unintelligible.

incdme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2018, 1:43 pm

Have you tried Grammarly? Grammarly gives me suggestions and corrections I can simply click on.
English is my second language and I constantly struggle with grammar and spelling even after 18 years... Making simple mistakes repeatedly does make me feel dumb at times. Reminding myself that other people make these mistakes all the time makes me feel better - even those who are native speakers and without any learning challenges! I've seen my bosses and even my editor (who edited my thesis paper) make these simple mistakes.

So - don't beat yourself up. Search and look for tools that can help you along the way!

You can find out more about Grammarly on their website!

Cheers!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 7:15 pm

Sooner or later, someone will make assumptions about your intelligence

They guess over, the same, or under

Sooner or later someone will guess under

Please keep it in perspective

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 4:04 am

Smart or dumb doesn't tell the whole story, maybe you've performed poorly at certain tasks, but nobody is good at everything. Its a fact of life that some people will feel the need to look down on others. You can't change what they do, or what anyone else does, but you can develop your skill-sets and explore your strengths.

Most of the people I know think grammar mistakes are trivial and that people who point them out are just being petty.

naturalplastic has a good point though, if you spend too much time on the internet, you'll miss out on opportunities experience the world. I've grown more as a person, and developed a better sense of purpose off-line myself.

stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2019, 10:46 am

Fnord wrote:
sly279 wrote:
How Do You Deal With Being Precieved As Dumb?
I simply take every opportunity to prove them wrong.

That has proved to be very tiring as I have gotten older. In my work life, I always thought outstanding performance would get the gaslighters off my back. I'd strive for accomplishments that were recognized, by management or by other peer experts, as being excellent or indicating a high level of competence. Despite this, there always were coworkers who would turn the accomplishment around and transform it into something negative. Or, in the alternative, they could bury the idea or accomplishment so that it "wasn't needed." Management usually sides with popular people, even to its own detriment.

The problem with the approach is that it depends upon the approval of others. This denigrates our self-esteem, and eventually we start to believe the BS about being dumb or, as they said in middle school, "ret*d."

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 10:46 pm

Sometimes it is necessary, natural, subconscious, or involuntary to make assumptions

Some assumptions are wrong

Sometimes it does not matter if an assumption is wrong

Please do not obsessive over it

Please get on with your life