I can't even talk about this stuff anymore.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 5:02 am

cberg wrote:
English is a difficult language as a whole.

French and Arabic are more difficult, English is super easy for writing and reading compared to them (but not speaking).

In fact, French words/nouns have genders and one needs to memorize them to speak it right, and the French people generally are very intolerant to mistakes btw even if you're a non-native speakers.

Classic Arabic is way more difficult, in particular the reading aspect because of its 'floating vowels' (short vowels) which have complicated grammatical rules and often not typed, and you have to perfect it in order not to be mocked, for instance Arab-speaking politicians often get brutally mocked by rivals when they read classic/press Arabic speeches while using wrong voweling, and typed texts often come without these short vowels. For speaking this is no problem because we never use Classic Arabic for speaking in the daily life, it's just a writing/formal language, and the local "dialects" (which are more like their own cousin languages) don't have such hard voweling rules.

The most difficult aspect of English is in the pronunciation of the words, which is very daunting and irregular (like the different 'i' pronunciations like time vs ship, ok this was two easy examples to memorize, but sometimes I get surprised, for example I was surprised to discover that I was pronouncing the word "tinnitus" wrong mentally as tinnetus while apparently most native English speakers say it as TIN-ih-tus when watching video, also like the word 'aspie' which I wondered back in the time whether it's aspee, or as-pie like in the word pie ), speaking wise it may be one of the more difficult languages.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:36 pm

I think one issue with English is that it's really not very expressive. Native speakers might appear emotionally stunted simply because we don't have adequate vocabulary.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 6:56 pm

I was only really talking about my own grasp of English anyway, but that's not the problem. Being a black sheep is the problem & there's no changing that unless I were to suddenly get comfortable lying about myself. The way I write & speak is only a function of how I actually feel, I'm simply reacting to feeling marginalized. I trust most everyone here but we have one moderator I shall not name who concertedly tried to rip me a new one. Good for them. :roll: I work in an industry that most people choose to think of as magical or take for granted, that's demeaning enough, so I'm a man of mystery because unless someone has their brain in the right state to even talk to me, they avoid it.

I do want to keep posting but I also just feel more & more stigmatized unless I keep it low key or somewhat cryptic

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 1:16 pm

I joined WP expressly because it was the place where I could let my inner aspie out. so cberg, I hope you can continue to do likewise, or something like that*, and let the chips all where they may. :alien:

*within the usual limits of civilization.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:54 pm

I suppose I need to be more honest about the aspie stuff around people close to me.

Help!! !! !! I have no clue how to do that. My mask is glued on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 9:53 am

I never had much of a mask, my aspie was basically full strength almost from the start, I present well initially, but after about a minute people know what is up with me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 10:06 am

^^You're just too much like Doc.....

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 12:30 am

For that matter I'm not sure at all how effective my efforts to blend in have been. I have no idea what anyone expects of me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 1:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
^^You're just too much like Doc.....

you mean "doc brown" in B2TF?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:19 am

Us weirdos have to stick together.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2018, 3:27 am

I'm pretty sure weirdo solidarity is the primary reason for anyone knowing me at all.