Should students be allowed to use a calculator in school?

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Does kids should use calculators om math classes?
Poll ended at 17 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm
Yes 88%  88%  [ 21 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 24

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 12:00 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I remember when I was in Secondary school, my art teacher was rather insistent on two things.

The first was that I had to look him in the eyes whenever I asked a question or listened to his response. At the time I had a deep seated fear of authority due to negative previous experiences, and eye contact with certain teachers as a result was uncomfortable. If I didn't maintain the eye contact enough, he wouldn't answer my questions. Gradually it got easier.

Now, the other rule was that I had to answer his maths questions. Sometimes I required certain measurements for art pieces that I was making at the time, and he'd say "Ah, you'll have to work out *insert question here* for that, so go on". He would wait for the answer, putting me on the spot in front of everyone.

Teachers have their quirks. I remember in drafting class, I had a teacher who took role call each class. When he called my name, I would say "here", like every other boy. He didn't like the way I pronounced "here" so he would pretend I didn't say it or he would mock the way I said it. This went on for several minutes back and forth. He would call my name and I would answer. He would call my name again and I would answer again. After a few weeks, I changed my response. He would call my name and I answered "Present". It caught him by surprise. So after that, it was no longer a problem.

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2019, 7:29 am

Only be allowed in college and beyond tbh..