Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 3:13 am

The Problem With This Year’s Most Comfortable Holiday Fad

Quote:
Last year, the best-selling Gravity Blanket parlayed a mega-successful Kickstarter campaign into a wildly popular product: one of the first weighted blankets marketed to the general public. Made in Shenzhen, China, and sold for $249 by the products wing of the New York–based Futurism media company, Gravity Blankets had grossed some $15 million in sales by May 2018. Last month, Time magazine named “blankets that ease anxiety”—the Gravity Blanket and other popular models that have hit the market since—one of the best inventions of 2018.

Weighted blankets have been used as sleep aids and calming aids in special-needs communities for years. Some of the earliest implementations date back to 1999, when the occupational therapist Tina Champagne began using weighted blankets to help some mental-health patients. Autism researchers such as Amanda Richdale at La Trobe University in Australia estimate that up to 80 percent of children with autism-spectrum disorders have sleep problems—which often stem from sensory issues, such as sensitivity to particular textures grazing the skin, according to Lindsey Biel, the author of Sensory Processing Challenges: Effective Clinical Work With Kids and Teens. Weighted blankets tend to decrease movement and thus friction. Many special-needs individuals also tend to experience overarousal of the nervous system, Biel says, and in recent years, the blankets have been implemented to help veterans with PTSD symptoms sleep through the night without panic attacks or night terrors.

But companies such as SensaCalm and Salt of the Earth have largely been relegated to footnotes in the sensational success story of the Gravity Blanket and the new generation of mass-market weighted blankets it has spawned. They get mentioned only passingly, and rarely by name, as a brief nod to the blanket’s origins.

t’s hard to argue that the proliferation of weighted blankets is a bad thing, from an overall well-being standpoint—the feeling of being held or swaddled is, after all, known to have a calming effect on all types of people throughout life. One could even argue that the weighted-blanket craze has helped normalize needing help getting to sleep at night or feeling calm. Biel, the occupational therapist, says it was “no surprise to see this wonderful and potentially powerful calming tool reach the general population.” Peters, the Salt of the Earth owner, agrees: “They’re an amazing thing, and I’m just glad they’re out there.”

Still, the mainstreaming of the weighted blanket seems to imply a conflating of chronic anxiety or sensory issues with feelings of stress—or, perhaps more ominously, the repackaging of a coping strategy that originated in a marginalized community as a profitable relaxation fad at a moment when people feel particularly stressed.

But the precise moment of the Gravity Blanket’s arrival may have also had something to do with its success. Mike Grillo, the co-founder of the Gravity Blanket, told Time that while he was aware that he didn’t invent the weighted blanket, he credited his product’s success to its look and feel (more luxurious than some of its predecessors, Time explained) and to good timing. “The 2016 election was still fresh in people’s minds,” he told the magazine. People were anxious and looking for relief.

Indeed, it’s not uncommon to attribute the new popularity of weighted blankets to a rise in feelings of stress and worry in the United States. In early 2018, Jia Tolentino wrote in a New Yorker essay titled “The Seductive Confinement of a Weighted Blanket in an Anxious Time” that “it struck me as not coincidental that Gravity’s Kickstarter success arrived deep into a period when many Americans were beginning their e-mails with reflexive, panicked condolences about the news.”

When I spoke to Grillo for this story, he characterized the surging popularity of weighted blankets as just one piece of the recent cultural obsession with sleep and its role in a wholesome, healthy lifestyle. At Futurism, he says, “a lot of the stuff the readers were gravitating toward were like the science of sleep and the science of meditation and mindfulness. So we started thinking of things we could build in that space.”

There are moments, though, when the mass-market weighted blanket seems to emphasize its clinical pedigree. While the most popular way for newer manufacturers to describe the appeal of their product is something along the lines of “It feels like getting a hug,” the more sciencey-sounding benefits are a close second: The Kickstarter campaign for the Reviv Blanket explains to readers that that feeling of being hugged “increases serotonin and melatonin, while decreasing the stress hormone cortisol.” Baloo Living writes on its website that “the deep pressure touch soothes the nervous system, alleviates stress and anxiety, and increases serotonin production.” Other brands, meanwhile, like to claim that their products can flat-out “reduce anxiety,” as the Amazon-selling brand YnM does in a graphic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 4:11 am

Yes, I've had about 2000 ads on fb about it. :lol:

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2018, 8:08 am

I hate heavy blankets/sheets on top of me in bed. I have a thin sheet & a thin duvet covering me. That's it. I'm warm enough through the night.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 9:39 am

It's a fad, and sounds uncomfortable. My cats served the same purpose better, and were more comforting in a lot of ways.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 10:46 am

I got a heavy down comforter so I can save on my heating bill. :D

zcientist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

My sister sent me one two weeks ago. Knew nothing about it until she sent it. Turns out it's the only cover I need at night.

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2018, 9:02 pm

This year I experimented, having noted that I sleep better in winter than in summer, and figuring that was probably because the heavier blankets were a factor. Also thinking of Temple Grandin's "squeeze machine". Was surprised to discover that weighted blankets were "a thing", and widely available from niche (and now mainstream) sources. I ended up getting a smaller, lighter (3-pound) blanket that I drape over my upper torso; this added a "feel-good" factor without overwhelming me, and doesn't trap as much body heat (so less likely to overheat in summer). Bottom line: Worth being aware of and considering.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 10:37 pm

I'll be happy if this causes the outrageous prices to fall as these become mass produced instead of a cottage industry run by mostly so called "autism moms" who happen to be artsy crafty. I want one, but I won't pay the outlandish rates they go for. My down comforter is good enough for now.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 10:41 pm

Trendy stuff eventually goes on sale, so you may want to watch for bargains and buy an extra one if you can get a good quality one at deep discount.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 11:40 pm

This kind of bothered me. It reminds me of the fidget spinner fad, which originated as a stim toy for the neurodivergent, and became a cute novelty for NTs who didn’t know or care about its origins. The line in this article that frustrates me the most is, “we don’t want to make it too clinical for our customer.” So you rip off an idea that is beneficial to a marginalized community, but want to re-design the product so as to prevent peoples’ embarrassment at the idea of being mistaken for “one of those disabled people”. It’s like people want to use stuff that was created to help us, but god forbid they actually be associated with us.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 9:14 am

The more people buy them, the cheaper they get and I would love one, but can't afford one. especially because of how little sleep i'm getting lately.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

tentoedsloth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Dec 2018, 9:19 am

Maybe we could make one. Attach ankle and wrist weights (how?) to a cheap blanket, stuff them inside a quilt?

Or stuff in big flat hot water bottles, filled? Or big bags of dried peas, rice....

What else is flat, clean, heavy, but not hard or sharp? Packs of filler or printer paper. And--???

Adult son officially diagnosed with Asperger's (has a job and lives alone in an apartment), and I have some symptoms, but I now think I don't really "have it," so disregard any of my posts where that matters.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2018, 10:16 am

I hate that it's become a trendy fad, but on the other hand that brings prices down and gives us more choices. For example, now there are some weighted blankets that stay cool. They're filled with little glass microbeads and have bamboo fiber duvet covers so you can get the comfort of the weight without cooking yourself.

It's still too much for me to spend for a quality blanket right now so in the meantime I roll myself very tightly into a lightweight quilt. It helps. It creates that feeling of all-over gentle pressure and isn't too hot, but it can be quite difficult to get up in a hurry when I am wrapped up like a neurotic burrito. :lol:

Agree that it seems to apply the same principle as Temple Grandin's calming squeeze chute for handling livestock. There's just something about that gentle pressure from all sides that really feels comforting.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

tentoedsloth

25 Dec 2018, 10:53 am

I have more ideas on how to make one; does anybody want these?

Adult son officially diagnosed with Asperger's (has a job and lives alone in an apartment), and I have some symptoms, but I now think I don't really "have it," so disregard any of my posts where that matters.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2018, 11:49 am

tentoedsloth wrote:
I have more ideas on how to make one; does anybody want these?

Yes, have at it!

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 12:00 pm

lol I got one for christmas from my mom. I already sleep with 10 layers of blankets at night as it is so maybe it is a good idea, iunno. Probably won't be as warm as having 10 blankets so I don't know if I will keep it.