No smoking including electronic cigarettes.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 5:43 pm

When electronic cigarettes first came out, they were advertised as a way for people not having to go outside to smoke. Nowadays however there are signs that say "no smoking including electronic cigarettes" all over the place.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 5:46 pm

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fascists out there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2018, 5:59 pm

NewTime wrote:
When electronic cigarettes first came out, they were advertised as a way for people not having to go outside to smoke. Nowadays however there are signs that say "no smoking including electronic cigarettes" all over the place.
Because they pollute the air with an addictive substance (nicotine).

Take that sh*** outside!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Dec 2018, 5:05 am

I noticed that too. Those commercials for eCigs were very misleading about that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 5:30 am

I have 2 relatives that use e-cigs when I'm in the same room, but the vapour doesn't affect me like a cigarette would. It doesn't make me want nicotine, it doesn't make me cough, and it doesn't linger about in the air like fog. I don't see what harm e-cigs do to others around.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 7:18 am

Personally, I don't think either should be outright banned in public places (I'm not a fascist), but permitted subject to the discretion of whoever owns the premises on which they're being smoked. That said, however, I actually find e cigarettes more off-putting than proper cigarettes, along with the types who smoke them. I'd much rather breathe in proper tobacco smoke - at least it's natural.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 7:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't see what harm e-cigs do to others around.

Due to overexposure to industrial chemicals at work, my mate has developed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Simply walking by a house where the dryer's running with scented dryer sheets or passing someone wearing perfume in the street can trigger acute respiratory distress, even in concentrations below the odor detection threshold.
If you want to intentionally inhale chemical fumes, feel free, outdoors! You have no right to impose your chemical exhalants upon those around you.

I'm not a violent person, but If my mate were to collapse due to someone's thoughtlessness, self-centeredness, and utter and complete lack of common courtesy and consideration of others, I can see where in such a situation I could interpret that as a life-threatening attack upon my loved one, and respond in kind.
"Fascist"? f**k you. The world isn't your goddamned ashtray.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 8:43 am

I have strong sensitivities to fragrances like dryer sheets, perfumes, etc. Not as bad as leading to a respiratory attack, thankfully, but if such scents are strong, I can't think, I get very irritated and if I can't escape the smell it will actually trigger a shutdown.

For those that think the smoking of tobacco or e-cigs in public establishments and places should be allowed, would you be ok with the following scenario?

What if a person sat down in a restaurant near you and opened up a canister clearly labeled: "Contains airborne poisons!" and the canister released a noxious smell? Would you care?

Last edited by Magna on 19 Dec 2018, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 8:48 am

Piobaire wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't see what harm e-cigs do to others around.

Due to overexposure to industrial chemicals at work, my mate has developed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Simply walking by a house where the dryer's running with scented dryer sheets or passing someone wearing perfume in the street can trigger acute respiratory distress, even in concentrations below the odor detection threshold.
If you want to intentionally inhale chemical fumes, feel free, outdoors! You have no right to impose your chemical exhalants upon those around you.

I'm not a violent person, but If my mate were to collapse due to someone's thoughtlessness, self-centeredness, and utter and complete lack of common courtesy and consideration of others, I can see where in such a situation I could interpret that as a life-threatening attack upon my loved one, and respond in kind.
"Fascist"? f**k you. The world isn't your goddamned ashtray.

Erm...I'm terribly sorry about your mate suffering with this condition. I didn't know e-cigs can be that harmful.
I hope you're just speaking in second person and not aiming your rant at me.

I hate smoking. I believe a lot of smokers are selfish, particularly the heavy smokers. People at work smoke inside the workshop when the boss isn't there because they can't be bothered to stand outside in the cold. Or if they have to go outside to smoke, they'll stand with the door open so that they can still feel the warmth, but that just lets the heat out and makes us sensible healthy non-smokers feel cold. I can't stand smoking.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:18 am

Quote:
I hope you're just speaking in second person and not aiming your rant at me.

Quite so; I was speaking in general terms, not intending to attack you. I'm sorry if my lack of eloquence gave offense.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:20 am

Here are some enlightening articles on e-cigarettes and their manufacturers.

How social media hyped nicotine for a new generation

US surgeon general issues advisory on teen use of e-cigarettes

What parents should know about the huge epidemic of vaping

People may claim that e-cigarettes are safer than real cigarettes because they don't contain tobacco, but they're only fooling themselves. Higher concentrations of nicotine in e-cigarettes means that people are becoming more heavily addicted, and at a much faster rate.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:26 am

nick007 wrote:
I noticed that too. Those commercials for eCigs were very misleading about that.

Probably when they first came out it wasn't an issue or expected to be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:39 am

E-cigarettes were seen as being sort of a "transition" between 2 pack-a-day smoking and quitting cold turkey.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
E-cigarettes were seen as being sort of a "transition" between 2 pack-a-day smoking and quitting cold turkey.
That's the propaganda (and you fell for it). The reality is that they are more addictive than cigarettes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 9:52 am

How did I "fall for it"?

I said it "seemed." I never stated that I ever "believed the hype."

Obviously, it contains nicotine----that's the substance that keeps people addicted to tobacco.

Taradine
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2018, 1:15 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I'd much rather breathe in proper tobacco smoke - at least it's natural.

cadmium, lead, arsenic and hydrogen cyanide are "natural" too, but you're deluded if you think they're any better for you than straight water vapor and nicotine, which is what a lot of vapes are. not all, but a good amount.

i WISH cigarettes were nothing more than tobacco in a paper tube. but i never understood the appeal of tobacco anyway.