How do I better identify a homosexual/bisexual person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 7:45 pm

I’m bisexual and have no “gaydar.” Whenever I hear another person is gay or bisexual, I’m always surprised because I had no idea, whereas everyone else just knew it without the person saying anything. I’d really like to know some specific things to look for. I’ve read a few things, like men who pay a lot of attention to their grooming are more likely to be gay, but I would think most men pay attention to that. I’ve seen people mention gait, but they don’t explain how the way they walk is different. I know that even if I successfully identify a gay or bisexual man, actually getting a relationship would be even harder, but I won’t cross that bridge until I can even identify someone’s sexuality, or at least make an educated guess!

Also, I told a friend I was bisexual and asked if I looked or acted that way, and he said I didn’t. It’s odd, because in junior high, I’d be called gay all the time, but I didn’t even know my own sexuality then. Now that I know I’m bisexual, nobody can tell.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

They couldn't tell in junior high, either.

They don't call you a "fa***t" because they think you're gay. They call you a "fa***t" because they just want to bully you.

Or they call you "gay" because they want to bully you. Or just to insult you in general.

AlterEgo25
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2019, 1:25 pm

I don't think there are specific criteria that you can look for, or at least no criteria that works 100% of the time. As a lesbian I know there are certain stereotypes that can point me in the right direction of other lesbians and bisexual women. However, I also know that those stereotypes aren't always correct or the individual might not believe they are correct. For instance, they may dress or act a certain stereotypical way and are straight, out, in the closet, questioning, or (as was my case 2 years ago) completely in the dark about their own sexual preferences. That being said, for lesbians I've heard it's all about the eye contact. I guess because in bars and other places like that eye contact isn't expected by people who aren't trying to get into each others pants. A straight girl isn't going to seek eye contact from me across the room but a lesbian or bi woman might. The whole eye contact thing blows but I find that I can do it I will myself and tell myself I'm playing the part of flirty stud. I don't know if this helps you at all but I wish you luck.