Why I like Postmodern Literature and Modernist Literature

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 6:40 pm

Happy New Year to Isabella, as well!

I like the way Eliot talks about the Creative Process here.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 9:43 am

I finally finished The Rainbow. It took me ... two months? It was verbose, arcane and repetitive, and I'm still interpreting Lawrence's depiction on women. I did like the book when I was able to find its plot.

Next?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:15 am

Don't you agree that the beginning of "The Rainbow" is a classic in description, though?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't you agree that the beginning of "The Rainbow" is a classic in description, though?

The beginning was lovely. With each new generation I felt hope, but then it was dashed. The last two chapters were my favourites although I'm not sure what to make of Ursula. She was self-destructive and made poor choices, but did have redeeming qualities. We'll see how it digests with me over time. I can't disentangle Lawrence from the narrative, and that's been my challenge understanding these women.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:28 am

I know Ursula had her troubles inwardly; but don't you agree, by the standards of the early 20th century, and despite the strictures put in place for women then, that she was quite an accomplished woman?

I feel like you and Ursula would have been great friends, and would have helped each other.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know Ursula had her troubles inwardly; but don't you agree, by the standards of the early 20th century, and despite the strictures put in place for women then, that she was quite an accomplished woman?

For her time, she was accomplished in some regard (personal liberation and self-determination), but in others she was weak (integrity, honesty, relationship skill, executive function, empathy). I don't want to give too many spoilers.

I really need to digest her for a little while. She really dodged a bullet pregnancy-wise, otherwise she'd be a fallen woman, no different than Ruth (Eliz. Gaskell).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:35 am

I get you. You're right about these things.

I believe you would have been a good mentor to her.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get you. You're right about these things.

I believe you would have been a good mentor to her.

I don't like that she failed out of Uni, or some of her other choices which made her appear narcissistic and self-destructive.

I don't like that Lawrence presents women's sexuality as mystic, and then blames them for destroying relationships. She was cruel to Anton. It's all rather complicated. Give me a few weeks to ponder and I'll pipe in. I don't think I would have been her friend, though. She wasn't particularly loving, and a woman can't be exalted for her sexuality alone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 10:46 am

I, definitely, don't exalt women merely for their sexuality.

I have a great admiration for women, and what they had to put up with historically.

I've personally known women who had to raise children without a good man to augment them. Despite this, the children came out successful. If you listen to the narrative of men who had to live without a father, they usually say that the mother was "both a mother and a father" to them.

Not to say that men don't face struggles themselves (no, I'm not a "white knight.")

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 11:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I, definitely, don't exalt women merely for their sexuality.

I have a great admiration for women, and what they had to put up with historically.

I've personally known women who had to raise children without a good man to augment them. Despite this, the children came out successful. If you listen to the narrative of men who had to live without a father, they usually say that the mother was "both a mother and a father" to them.

Not to say that men don't face struggles themselves (no, I'm not a "white knight.")

I understand. I don't think you are that type of sexist man, Korts. I know you aren't.