Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 10:02 am

Is there a type of game you wish you could play, but hasn’t been made? Maybe there’s an story idea you have, or game dynamics that haven’t been tried. What kind of game would it be?

I don’t have a name for it, but here’s mine:

Premise: You are leading a colony ship with 10,000 people to the nearest star, the ship itself is a design that would actually function, it is made up of working parts and they have to be maintained. The colonists behave the way people would behave, so you have to manage them. It will take days or weeks to get to a nearby star instead of centuries (that’s the first scifi cop-out). Once you get there, you can start colonizing.

Gameplay: The game does its best to mimic the actual universe, every star you can go is based on an actual star in the milky way. The materials you create in the game will be subjected to all physical laws, a poorly sealed ship will outgas, if you fire a projectile in space, the force will act on you too, chemical reactions will take place (even inadvertently). No aliens or alien life.

You can extract resources, another copout is that you would process a chunk of asteroid or land mass, and just a count of whatever atoms (or molecules) it contained. You can design and build out of whatever you find, even down to the atoms (some people enjoy the CAD experience lol)

You can grow your colony, design whatever you can, create nature habitats, move to other star systems, and even attack other players (if you can find them). Portals can transport you instantly to another star system, this feature is needed to allow new players to explore. I’ll even throw in wormholes to allow players to reach further into the galaxy.
I know a game like this would need more processing power than a supercomputer, but that’s why this is a dream game thread.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2018, 4:47 pm

A zombie game done in the same free roaming style as Fallout 3.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2018, 1:41 pm

I don't know what my game would be about, but it would be something that made me put on my vive and make me die from dehydration 3-4 days later.

TW1ZTY wrote:

So, something like State of Decay?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 7:38 am

Ichinin wrote:
I don't know what my game would be about, but it would be something that made me put on my vive and make me die from dehydration 3-4 days later.

TW1ZTY wrote:

So, something like State of Decay?

Maybe with more of a classic horror feel to it like the old Resident Evil games.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2018, 12:16 am

That's an interesting concept, RE was notorious for forcing you into blind corners and dead ends to fight zombies while fallout let you explore and get overwhelmed at your own pace. Would the entire map be maze-like? I imagine it would have to constantly rain or fog during the day to keep the atmosphere of horror intact.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 2:03 am

Mine was already made, really. Well, there were 6 of them that did this.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. A game that takes the concepts used by the ORIGINAL Zelda, adds proc-gen, adds HUNDREDS of unique items, has a bazillion enemies and bosses, and even after 500 hours, continues to surprise me? Yes. YES.

Mario Maker: As a kid I loved it when games had level editors, but the one I REALLY wanted to have that was, well, any of the 2D Mario games. But they didnt. And then, this came along. It's astonishingly rare that I get that freaking hyped for a game, as I did with that.

LittleBigPlanet: This series has... kinda fallen a bit, but holy crapsticks. An extreme focus on creativity and ingenuity. By using pure intelligence and logic, you could get this game to do damn near anything. I loved making giant bosses, and "AI" for them made of a giant tangle of logic gates. I learned a heck of alot about game design from this.

Minecraft: Again, pure creativity. And exploration. And building. The vanilla game is already amazing, but then mods allow me to turn it into whatever I happen to feel like playing.

Smash Bros Ultimate: Oh. My. GOD. A team-up of Ridley and Isabelle (from Animal Crossing) VS Simon Freaking Belmont and King K.Rool? This game can do it. The ancient war between Mario and Sonic? Oh yes. A fighting game with the single most incredible roster I've ever seen. But not just that: A fighting game with endless possibilities. A million ways to play it, and there's something for everyone here.

New Retro Arcade: Neon: I've already rambled about this in the "what are you playing" thread, and in VR-related threads. This is THE reason I bought an Oculus Rift. I'd wanted something like this ever since I first heard of emulators.

So... yeah. I kept trying to think of "dream games" but just kept coming back to what I've already got.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2018, 8:03 pm

Dream game.

Open world, based on my home town and surrounding area. Me playing a version of myself that is better than the real me.

So, I'd be able to do whatever I like in a realistic, familiar environment.

The local airport may have a spaceport facility, so I could drive to it and visit the ISS, for instance, before returning home.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it would be in VR.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 1:22 am

MirrorWars wrote:
Dream game.

Open world, based on my home town and surrounding area. Me playing a version of myself that is better than the real me.

So, I'd be able to do whatever I like in a realistic, familiar environment.

The local airport may have a spaceport facility, so I could drive to it and visit the ISS, for instance, before returning home.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it would be in VR.

Interesting, would you be able to interact with people too? I'd build my dream house and work out all the kinks in that game if I could play it.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 3:12 am

A Megaman game that obeys the laws of physics (mostly).
You can change display modes to see the different forces playing out, look at energy, distances, or an indication display of all the objects you can interact with.

You can adjust the force & angle you jump with and the power settings on your weapons.
Thermodynamics is in play, and you can melt through a wall if you can generate enough heat.
You can also program a sequence of steps for your character to follow, such as jumping across a series of traps.
You can hack into equipment found throughout the stage, but you have to solve puzzles, then you can program the equipment in ladder logic (a language used in the manufacturing industry)

Basically a 2-d sidescroller that forces you to learn different aspects of physics.

The game would have a storyline too, it would explore mega man's being: Is Megaman a robot who only enjoys blasting his way through levels and bosses? What does he actually feel? Does he have harsh realities to deal with like humans? Does he have dreams or plans for the future? How much of a personality does he have?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 9:28 am

I like the OP's concept, as long as it could be played out on a real Holodeck.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2019, 3:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
I like the OP's concept, as long as it could be played out on a real Holodeck.

I'd freaking kill for a holodeck.

Part of why I'm into VR so much lately... closest I'm ever going to get.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:28 am

If I had a holodeck, I'd just play "leisure suite larry" :D

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 7:22 am

Public Option (in VR + sensors):

Synopsis:
A society/world simulator, very similar to MirrorWars' idea. You aren't given many gameplay or exploring paths in this one, it has a definite direction. You live on earth, there are people everywhere just going about their business; going to work/school, relating to one another. You are basically the bastard red-headed stepchild of the world, not invited anywhere, people are usually polite, but if you interact with them too much, they shoo you away, walk away from you, yell at you etc...

Game:
The only place that'll take you is the Public Option, you can leave the world behind for a regimented one. Initially, you are forced to exercise, learn to organize, manage yourself, be observant, and if you don't perform the tasks, you'll get harassed and won't progress. After that, you are free to choose public service options, you can work in the Trades (and learn how to do actual trades work), you can work in Agriculture and manage crops, or the Military and be forced to perform grueling tasks. This part of the game would guide you into technical problems and give you chance after chance to solve them on your own. There would be a social group in this part too, and how well you get along is based on how well you perform, and how you interact with them.

The game will have an option to test out (to the next level), you'd basically pass a pre-college entrance exam (math, basic logic). Then you are guided through different subject material found in pre-engineering and forced to pass tests to move on. You can socialize with people, but the only positive responses you'll get will come from getting the course material right.

You would then move on to learning about engineering concepts and be forced to solve problems using math and science, the game would model these engineering scenarios as realistically as possible. You could choose a disciplne, a combination, or a complete span if you want.

End:
Once you have solved enough problems and proven yourself, you will be released back into the regular population and allowed to do whatever you (reasonably) want, the public will give you a chance this time around.

This one sounds tedious (which it would be), but the theme or goal of the game would be to learn about the actual workings of the world and empower yourself through that, why learn some fantasy game dynamics when you could learn ones based firmly on this universe?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:49 am

MDD123 wrote:
If I had a holodeck, I'd just play "leisure suite larry".
One of the most humiliating tasks in the Federation would be "Holodeck Squeegee Operator".

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 11:02 am

A Pokemon game with all the regions and the special features of all the regions at least in the region where they existed (like the underground in Sinnoh and the secret bases in Hoenn).

It'd be perfect it you kinda started a new in ever single region with a new team, so you could try out a lot of your favorite Pokemon, not just ha handful.

I'd also like a main series Pokemon game set in the areas covered in the Pokemon Ranger games. It'd be nice to fit in the Mystery Dungeon games there as well, but they don't really fit.

My other dream game would be a Pokemon game that was made the same way as Fantasy Life, where you could try different vocations and level up doing different missions and tasks, and could switch between them, yet keep some of the skills, like you do in FL.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:11 pm

Actually, any TTRPG (AD&D, Traveller, et cetera) or MMORPG (Star Trek, World of Warcraft, et cetera) played out on a real holodeck would be so abso-effing-lutely awesome that I would never want to leave!