Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

I guess I'm not really seen as anti-fun although the intensity of what I do & how I think about it freaks everyone out, including me.

I think I have to do something to make this more acceptable or I'm going to be on my own entirely.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

Well you can hardly be the only guy in the world doing the sort of work you're doing.

Someone has to do it...

I would never denigrate someone's chosen field, however arcane and difficult to relate to I might find it.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 2:14 pm

Well it's actually a fairly large industry, part of what concerns me about that is the fact that I don't even remotely seem like any kind of corporate person. I'm a hippie, which considering what I do must be very confusing & possibly off-putting to people who know me. I think I'm something of a walking contradiction so I'm trying to find more common ground with people who don't live, eat, sleep & breathe electronics, engineering & global trade.

I need to focus on people more than machines but that doesn't seem to be what anyone wants.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Dec 2018, 2:33 pm

In my experience computer people are very seldom corporate people.

My friend never liked the "people" aspect of the company when he was working, such as "team building".

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 3:36 pm

Well that much is true, I have to hide my extreme shyness in meetings & thus far I've avoided the only work club I was considering (mountain biking) out of sheer exhaustion from my job as well as social anxiety. I work with good people though that in no way changes how close friends respond to something that takes years to explain. I'm more or less an inside-out rocket scientist, except for the formal training. I'm humbled to know anybody at all considering how much energy I spend learning & working but I feel like I'm becoming more distant unless I can manage to make this stuff fun for everyone.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 3:43 pm

I used to work in a people industry, i still hated the corporate stuff.
I still have PTSD from a team building exercise they sent me to years ago.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

Luckily my work is at least somewhat laid back. I think I've felt more traumatized lately just forcing myself to wake up & go to meetings, I actually sort of like the corporate camaraderie even though it's really not my style. I'm lucky enough to be in a very accepting company that actually hired me for my autism, which I'll probably never get used to even though I want a permanent job there.

I'm a gold mine in terms of unconventional wisdom & esoteric technical knowledge, but without anyone digging into my subconscious I feel useless.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 7:40 pm

What about some good old fashioned anarchist team building? :jester:

I'm taking life way too seriously. Everything will work itself out provided everybody lives to witness that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 7:41 pm

can you tell me how anarchist team building functions? :scratch: that might be above my pay grade.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 8:08 pm

In the case of the loose-knit hippie clan that more or less adopted me, one thing we've done is smashing large things with mid-evil implements at a burner fest in the desert here. I'd say that worked wonders although it's not even remotely safe.

When I say anarchy in this subforum I'm mostly referring to my complete disregard for how everyone keeps saying relationships should function. How very successfully their logic is demonstrated. /S The idea is if I can stop expecting things to ever be normal, the more margin I create to make things better.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 8:37 pm

there are some unusual relationships out there, that can boggle the minds of all outsiders. circumstances can make for some strange bedfellows sometimes.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm

You're telling me - I've developed an awareness lately that I just trust who I trust. I have some good reasons & there's not a whole lot else I need to know if I'm honest. I don't really care who anybody dates, I'm nearly asexual, I simply care about who managed to get through to me. No one else is owed an explanation. They don't want my honest answer about that anyway.

I think I owe someone an eventual break from the maddening pace of dating apps & technology proliferation. I've lived with that stuff for longer than most anyone I know & I got over it a lot sooner as a result. In the context of all of us being treated as investment capital for data mining & advertising, I believe we're alienated from those we love most first when we go against that grain.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 12:22 am

Quote:
there are some unusual relationships out there, that can boggle the minds of all outsiders. circumstances can make for some strange bedfellows sometimes.

I'm a poster child for exactly this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 4:20 am

aside from my kinfolk, you all are my people. :alien: :nerdy: :ninja: :jester: :mrgreen: :| :oops: 8)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 4:45 am

Not all as I found out

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 2:39 pm

Mods please lock this before the inevitable feuding unless you have anything to add so my thread doesn't die.