Women don’t find him sexually attractive!

Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 6:58 am

colossalfailure wrote:
Probably because hes too short, the 6 ft rule has never been more truer than in 2018

I don't know what "more truer" means, unless you're Shakespeare.

The guy on the left looks better in this photo, but only because he isn't (quite so) slovenly; if the guy on the right had a shave and put on some decent clothes, I think he'd be better.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:06 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
colossalfailure wrote:
Probably because hes too short, the 6 ft rule has never been more truer than in 2018

The guy on the left looks better in this photo, but only because he isn't (quite so) slovenly; if the guy on the right had a shave and put on some decent clothes, I think he'd be better.

Yeah, where are his spats, tails, ascot, and top hat? What a bum to be seen in public not in black tie!

Seriously though, what exactly is "slovenly" about the guy on the right? His hair is clean and styled contemporarily, he's wearing a clean white t-shirt, well-fitted jeans, a nice scarf, and he's even sitting up relatively straight with what looks like decent posture. How is that slovenly, is it just because he's not wearing a tie like the other guy? Because you don't have to wear a tie to not be considered a homeless bum, this isn't the 1920s or something, it's 2019.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:09 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
colossalfailure wrote:

Yeah, where are his spats, tails, ascot, and top hat? What a bum to be seen in public not in black tie!

Seriously though, what exactly is "slovenly" about the guy on the right? His hair is clean and styled contemporarily, he's wearing a clean white t-shirt, well-fitted jeans, a nice scarf, and he's even sitting up relatively straight with what looks like decent posture. How is that slovenly, is it just because he's not wearing a tie like the other guy? Because you don't have to wear a tie to not be considered a homeless bum, this isn't the 1920s or something, it's 2019.

Because only a slovenly person would turn up ON TV in a cheap t-shirt, jeans and without bothering to shave.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:19 pm

The guy on the right looks a lot tidier in my opinion. The left guys shirt and tie look terrible, it doesn’t look dressy at all. How do you know how expensive his clothes are?

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:28 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
colossalfailure wrote:

Because only a slovenly person would turn up ON TV in a cheap t-shirt, jeans and without bothering to shave.

For all you know that's a designer t-shirt that cost $100 (they exist)--and the scruffy look is in now, it's intentional. Guys aren't doing it because they are too lazy to shave, they are not shaving intentionally because they want that look because it is popular now. If he let it grow out without shaping and grooming it and it got all patchy and tufty, then I might agree with you that he looks slovenly. As it is, he looks well-dressed and put together. The other guy looks like he might have rolled out of bed in those wrinkled clothes, and his tie is badly tied.

I think some people here have some unconscious bias going on.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

Also, we have no idea what the context is of these two guys being on television, so how can we judge how appropriately they are dressed if we don't know what they are dressed for, other than just appearing on television? Maybe they were asked to wear their normal street clothes?

Why are people being so weirdly judgemental in this thread?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 6:05 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
The guy on the right looks a lot tidier in my opinion. The left guys shirt and tie look terrible, it doesn’t look dressy at all. How do you know how expensive his clothes are?

You're probably right about the first part in some ways. I don't think there's much in it, but the other guy is marginally better. I didn't mean "cheap" in the sense of price.

Prometheus18 wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
colossalfailure wrote:

For all you know that's a designer t-shirt that cost $100 (they exist)--and the scruffy look is in now, it's intentional. Guys aren't doing it because they are too lazy to shave, they are not shaving intentionally because they want that look because it is popular now. If he let it grow out without shaping and grooming it and it got all patchy and tufty, then I might agree with you that he looks slovenly. As it is, he looks well-dressed and put together. The other guy looks like he might have rolled out of bed in those wrinkled clothes, and his tie is badly tied.

I think to do something because it's fashionable (read "idiotic") is itself a sign of a lack of class, particularly when the fashion in question, as you've pointed out, involves a deliberate neglect of basic grooming. If being scruffy is fashionable, and it probably is, then I only hope I'm as unfashionable as I can be.

The big guy is definitely a better male specimen in that he's taller and better built, it's just a shame that he hasn't taken advantage of that by also dressing the part, but has chosen to be a ragamuffin in the name of some inane "fashion". If I were six foot something and built like that, I'd be in a three piece suit permanently - but then I am anyway.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 9:00 pm

Ragamuffin?? Seriously? Who talks like that at 22 years old?

Prometheus18 wrote:
...I'd be in a three piece suit permanently - but then I am anyway.

This explains some things, if you seriously dress like this at 22 years old every single day.

Why are stuffy snobby people always the most judgemental? Basically calling a guy homeless because he went on television wearing contemporary and fashionable clothes. So ridiculous, what a thing to get the vapours over. "People who wear t-shirts are slobs!" Meanwhile 98% of the rest of the world at least occasionally wear t-shirts. You're not better than everyone else because you don't, you're just pompous for assuming it makes you better when really it just makes you a prig.

Really, you're not a superior being because you shun t-shirts, dude. :lol:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 10:37 pm

He isn’t snobby. He’s identifying with the short guy hence siding with him, and taking out his jealousy on the other dude.

There’s probably nothing wrong with either of them, though I mark the left guy as scruffier based on the state of the shirt and tie.

That ends todays session of psychoanalysis with Hale_bopp. Tune in tomorrow for an update on the incel threads.

Also, everyone is judgemental, not just apparent “snobs”. Every social class is exposed to unjustified hatred from the other ones.

Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 1:34 am

hale_bopp wrote:
He isn’t snobby. He’s identifying with the short guy hence siding with him, and taking out his jealousy on the other dude.

There’s probably nothing wrong with either of them, though I mark the left guy as scruffier based on the state of the shirt and tie.

That ends todays session of psychoanalysis with Hale_bopp. Tune in tomorrow for an update on the incel threads.

Also, everyone is judgemental, not just apparent “snobs”. Every social class is exposed to unjustified hatred from the other ones.

But I've seen him talk about this issue in other threads, it seems to be a thing with him that he thinks most people are slovenly idiots and he is better because he wears suits; he also likes to talk about what's "appropriate" for women to wear, which according to him is only skirts and blouses. I guess women who wear pants are too masculine and unsightly. He sounds like someone who was raised in another century and has funny ideas how people should dress and how men and women should behave that are rather outdated and also kinda sexist. It's not reasonable to have these super high and specific standards that no one else follows but you, and to be perpetually angry at the rest of the world for not living up to your arbitrarily high standards and not behaving and dressing how you think is "appropriate". It's just such a stupid pointless thing to get worked up about, you can't control how other people dress and judging anyone who doesn't make the same choices as you on something as shallow as clothing as less than yourself is really sh***y.

It's a very flimsy excuse to get up on your high horse and think you're better than everyone because other people are disgusting peasants who are willing to be seen in t-shirts in public. That is exactly what snobbery is.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:03 am

I'm not massively bothered about it, it's just that I grew up in complete isolation from modern pop culture (which I'm glad of) and never inculcated the need to conform to modern mores. I grew up watching Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jim Cagney, Jim Stewart, Audrey Hepburn, Greta Garbo - even Telly Savalas. It just struck me gradually that there was a higher sartorial bar until quite recently, and I realised it would be a huge shame to lose that part of our culture.

Maybe it's Asperger's, but I just have no love for the consumer culture whereby what looks good changes every couple of months and there is no broad, long term consensus as to what are the types of clothes one should wear.

I don't have anything against those who wear t-shirts. In fact, I wear them myself, but only as undershirts and to go to the gym - that's their purpose.

Quote:
But I've seen him talk about this issue in other threads, it seems to be a thing with him that he thinks most people are slovenly idiots and he is better because he wears suits; he also likes to talk about what's "appropriate" for women to wear, which according to him is only skirts and blouses. I guess women who wear pants are too masculine and unsightly. He sounds like someone who was raised in another century and has funny ideas how people should dress and how men and women should behave that are rather outdated and also kinda sexist. It's not reasonable to have these super high and specific standards that no one else follows but you, and to be perpetually angry at the rest of the world for not living up to your arbitrarily high standards and not behaving and dressing how you think is "appropriate". It's just such a stupid pointless thing to get worked up about, you can't control how other people dress and judging anyone who doesn't make the same choices as you on something as shallow as clothing as less than yourself is really sh***y.

It's a very flimsy excuse to get up on your high horse and think you're better than everyone because other people are disgusting peasants who are willing to be seen in t-shirts in public. That is exactly what snobbery is.

Well, the trouble is that wearing a suit and tie takes effort and bearing - to wear well, anyway. I'll admit that I sometimes get a little snooty towards others my age who neglect to make that effort, but only a very little. Mostly, my attitude is more like pity.

As for women, you're right that I find most women alive today unattractive and that this partly has to do with the recent decline in dress standards, but, you see, every man has his preferences. I'm most definitely not a sexist, especially given that I'm equally - if not more - critical of men's dress standards (or lack) along the same lines.

My very first post in this site explains my attitude in the above respects quite well:

I'm extremely old fashioned

Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:57 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
I'm not massively bothered about it, it's just that I grew up in complete isolation from modern pop culture (which I'm glad of) and never inculcated the need to conform to modern mores. I grew up watching Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Jim Cagney, Jim Stewart, Audrey Hepburn, Greta Garbo - even Telly Savalas. It just struck me gradually that there was a higher sartorial bar until quite recently, and I realised it would be a huge shame to lose that part of our culture.

Maybe it's Asperger's, but I just have no love for the consumer culture whereby what looks good changes every couple of months and there is no broad, long term consensus as to what are the types of clothes one should wear.

I don't have anything against those who wear t-shirts. In fact, I wear them myself, but only as undershirts and to go to the gym - that's their purpose.

Quote:

Well, the trouble is that wearing a suit and tie takes effort and bearing - to wear well, anyway. I'll admit that I sometimes get a little snooty towards others my age who neglect to make that effort, but only a very little. Mostly, my attitude is more like pity.

As for women, you're right that I find most women alive today unattractive and that this partly has to do with the recent decline in dress standards, but, you see, every man has his preferences. I'm most definitely not a sexist, especially given that I'm equally - if not more - critical of men's dress standards (or lack) along the same lines.

My very first post in this site explains my attitude in the above respects quite well:

It is definitely sexist to expect all women to wear skirts and blouses and not dress suits like the men. Skirts (and the heels that usually go with them) are impractical for most activities that involve moving around, and seem designed to make it hard for women to run away and to make it easier for them to be sexually assaulted. When I wear skirts and dresses I feel vulnerable and unsafe for this reason.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 5:42 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

Quote:

It is definitely sexist to expect all women to wear skirts and blouses and not dress suits like the men. Skirts (and the heels that usually go with them) are impractical for most activities that involve moving around, and seem designed to make it hard for women to run away and to make it easier for them to be sexually assaulted. When I wear skirts and dresses I feel vulnerable and unsafe for this reason.

I don't see how it is sexist, but that's not what I meant, anyway. A blouse and dress were just an example. What I really mean is anything modest, discrete and respectable (not a t-shirt and torn jeans).

Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 7:57 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

Quote:

I don't see how it is sexist, but that's not what I meant, anyway. A blouse and dress were just an example. What I really mean is anything modest, discrete and respectable (not a t-shirt and torn jeans).

Well, at least you're not so old fashioned you expect us to wear corsets and bustles and petticoats! :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 4:40 am

A harrasser would harrass women regardless what they’re wearing, whether it’s a skirt, pants or a niqab - it matters not. The problem is in the harrasser.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:33 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
colossalfailure wrote:

My gosh, part of the 1980s is back in style again (5 O’clock shadow). That was popular when Miami Vice was on the TV. I always thought that unshaven look would return someday. :lol: