Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 1:04 pm

Been away for a while and was curious if anyone here plays Stellaris. It's very addictive, and a pretty expansive game. Galactic economics has never been so addictive before 8)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 1:16 pm

Have seen it, have considered buying it, but as you say, it is very likely to tickle my fancy a bit too much since it's a Paradox game (i LOVED Europa Universalis) and i'm trying to play other things right now.

Have a friend who plays it though.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:16 pm

As long as you don't play with ironman mode on and you have a clock next to you, you could 'in theory' quit anytime, but doesn't always go that way. It is currently on sale on Steam and some other bundle sites.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:17 pm

Oh! "Space Crack" as in "Addictive Sci-Fi"! :lol:

I might look into it.

Tell me more.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:26 pm

Commander wrote:
As long as you don't play with ironman mode on and you have a clock next to you, you could 'in theory' quit anytime, but doesn't always go that way. It is currently on sale on Steam and some other bundle sites.

That does not help, these kinds of games i play to win, which means weeks of gameplay, i know my personality.

Also know it's on sale now, have hovered with the mousepointer over the buy button several times already...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Commander wrote:
That does not help, these kinds of games i play to win, which means weeks of gameplay, i know my personality. Also know it's on sale now, have hovered with the mousepointer over the buy button several times already...
Some people play to win, others play to play. For some the goal is all there is, and for others the journey itself is the goal.

Enough philosophy ... have fun!

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Oh! "Space Crack" as in "Addictive Sci-Fi"! :lol:

I might look into it.

Tell me more.

Pretty much a pretty massive rts both in scope and detail. Get to design your own species with various traits, a government with traits and ethics. Just to sum up some gameplay stuff: research tech, claim star systems, colonize new worlds, form research agreements, non-aggression pacts, can purge, enslave, or just discriminate against aliens. There is a lot to do and a lot that you can do :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:36 pm

I prefer cosmic crystal meth myself.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tell me more.

It's basically a crossover of MOO (4X game) and a grand strategy game like Europa Universalis.

There are plenty of games like it, but slightly different, like Space Empires, Galactic Civilizations, Spaceward ho, Star Ruler and plenty of others.

There is even a VR 4X game called "Lazerbait" which is rather crude, but pretty cool with a intuitive point and click/drag interface.

Trailer for Stellaris:

Review (i have heard that it has improved):

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 3:40 pm

The biggest thing to change with it was a new update known as Le Guin which has drastically changed the economics of it and made even more resources. Before it, there was just energy and minerals which you can imagine what both do. Now you have energy, minerals, alloys, consumer goods, etc. World management is even stranger with a change from a world with tiles to just distracts and buildings at population milestones. You can even be a corporation :o

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Commander wrote:
That does not help, these kinds of games i play to win, which means weeks of gameplay, i know my personality. Also know it's on sale now, have hovered with the mousepointer over the buy button several times already...
Some people play to win, others play to play. For some the goal is all there is, and for others the journey itself is the goal.

Yeah, pretty much. Particularly in a game like this. It gives you a gigantic sandbox of a galaxy to play in... you come up with the goals and figure out how to go about them. It's your galaxy, do whatever!

Hell, does Stellaris even have a win condition? I genuinely dont know. Alot of these sorts of games just continue until you feel like you're ready to generate a new world and start over. Even if it does have a win condition, I've always found it most fun to play these in an experimental ways. Try things out, do crazy stuff, see what the results are! There's no true "best" way to play these (even though the community would have you think otherwise). Heck, mod the hell out of it if you want.

A game like this though really is at it's best when it's essentially generating stories, so to speak. Kinda like the roguelikes I'm so fond of... no backstory in those (well, usually), but anyone that's into that type of game knows that the game IS the story, and most could regale you with all sorts of tales of dramatic or outright wacky adventures. Grand strategy games tend to be very similar in that regard. The gameplay itself will create the story as you make decisions, take actions, and react to the loopy situations it generates.

That being said, I do have the game myself, but I've not tried getting into it yet. When I bought the game originally (right when it came out) it had... problems. I made the decision to wait on it awhile... not like it was going anywhere. It's sounding like now is a good time to jump in. Maybe.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2018, 8:00 pm

Misery wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Commander wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. Particularly in a game like this. It gives you a gigantic sandbox of a galaxy to play in... you come up with the goals and figure out how to go about them. It's your galaxy, do whatever!

Hell, does Stellaris even have a win condition? I genuinely dont know. Alot of these sorts of games just continue until you feel like you're ready to generate a new world and start over. Even if it does have a win condition, I've always found it most fun to play these in an experimental ways. Try things out, do crazy stuff, see what the results are! There's no true "best" way to play these (even though the community would have you think otherwise). Heck, mod the hell out of it if you want.

A game like this though really is at it's best when it's essentially generating stories, so to speak. Kinda like the roguelikes I'm so fond of... no backstory in those (well, usually), but anyone that's into that type of game knows that the game IS the story, and most could regale you with all sorts of tales of dramatic or outright wacky adventures. Grand strategy games tend to be very similar in that regard. The gameplay itself will create the story as you make decisions, take actions, and react to the loopy situations it generates.

That being said, I do have the game myself, but I've not tried getting into it yet. When I bought the game originally (right when it came out) it had... problems. I made the decision to wait on it awhile... not like it was going anywhere. It's sounding like now is a good time to jump in. Maybe.

There are some win conditions like domination, controlling 40% of all livable planets, or being in a federation that controls a certain percent of the galaxy. You really can make your own story and goals. Just sucks if the AI gang up on you.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 1:23 am

Misery wrote:

There is usually objectives, like survive, rebuild country x, balance the economy, make allies and for the creative - take over the world. And then there are scenarios too. Stellaris is a paradox game so i expect it to be like EU4.

Misery wrote:
Grand strategy games tend to be very similar in that regard.

Well, this is a GSG, but it is in space.. (space...space...)