Page 19 of 19 [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 2:10 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
There are people here with serious mental health issues commorbid with their autism like depression and anxiety. Telling them that therapy will harm them or that therapists want to hurt them is dangerous for people who can really benefit from therapy. Therapists can also help teach social skills, which many autistic people can benefit from. I know therapy has helped me a lot in my life and many others too.

Also the "ask a fisherman" idiom is common in the PUA/Redpill/incel community and is pretty misogynistic. It means don't listen to women, don't ask women what they want or what they think, because men know better than women do what women think and what they want. Stop trying to push your PUA garbage ideology here.

Why should men and women police each other like that?

The word misogyny has become meaningless with how much it's needlessly thrown around today.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 2:16 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
... The word misogyny has become meaningless with how much it's needlessly thrown around today.
No.

"Misogyny" refers specifically to a hatred of women. It can be expanded to a general contempt for women and a dismissal of their ideas and accomplishments.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 5:21 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
There are people here with serious mental health issues commorbid with their autism like depression and anxiety. Telling them that therapy will harm them or that therapists want to hurt them is dangerous for people who can really benefit from therapy. Therapists can also help teach social skills, which many autistic people can benefit from. I know therapy has helped me a lot in my life and many others too.

Also the "ask a fisherman" idiom is common in the PUA/Redpill/incel community and is pretty misogynistic. It means don't listen to women, don't ask women what they want or what they think, because men know better than women do what women think and what they want. Stop trying to push your PUA garbage ideology here.

The word misogyny has become meaningless with how much it's needlessly thrown around today.

What? Who is policing who in my comment? What the hell are you talking about?

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 10:54 pm

Well I've been single for many years now, and sexless that entire time. And I like my life. I do struggle with loneliness because I don't have a very good support system and I have a really hard time making new friends and all my old friends from school got married and had kids and drifted out of my life, but I still like my life and myself. I think the difference for me has been that I've gotten really good therapy over the years that has taught me coping skills and how to find meaning in my life even when I am alone. I don't know what else to say.

Maybe if I'd had relationships in the past to substantiate my ability to get into relationships and give me some hope that it's a possibility for the future, I'd be more at-ease about going a fairly long time without having one, but my first relationship is a milestone that I've wanted to reach for years, feel like I should have already reached by now, but still haven't, and that instills the fear in me that I may never be good enough for someone to want to be in a relationship with, after all there's no precedent set to the contrary. I think most heterosexual guys would be devastated if they never got to experience a romantic relationship with a woman, and I think if we look at guys for whom that is the reality, we can see that there is a tendency for that to be the case. I'm not completely against trying therapy again, as I think that now, having done a lot of introspection, work on self knowledge, and have a more established world-view, I'd be able to articulate my problems better and offer better responses to questions. The difficult part is finding an affordable and compatible therapist within a reasonable distance from me (no car) and that I'd be able to fit into my five-day work week. I don't think a therapist is absolutely necessary for me to get where I need to be, but at the same time could probably be helpful.

Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

What? Who is policing who in my comment? What the hell are you talking about?

Hello? Am I going to get an explanation for your comment to me?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 12:32 am

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

This seems to be a common talking point among misogynists.

Replace 'misogyny' with other forms of bigotry and this is one of the default talking points bigots keep dishonestly using these days.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 12:35 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Hollywood_Guy wrote:

This seems to be a common talking point among misogynists.

Replace 'misogyny' with other forms of bigotry and this is one of the default talking points bigots keep dishonestly using these days.

It does seem dishonest, as he won't even explain his comment to me. Why start a discussion with me by quoting me and then not answer my questions asking him to clarify his post?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 1:04 am

It does seem dishonest, as he won't even explain his comment to me. Why start a discussion with me by quoting me and then not answer my questions asking him to clarify his post?
Now you know how I felt during therapy sessions. :P Very seldom, if ever, did I get coherent solutions to my problems.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 1:28 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Now you know how I felt during therapy sessions. :P Very seldom, if ever, did I get coherent solutions to my problems.

How many times do I need to tell you that you make me uncomfortable? I've had a very different experience with therapy from you, that's been established. Please leave me alone.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 1:36 am

Aspie1 wrote:

How many times do I need to tell you that you make me uncomfortable? I've had a very different experience with therapy from you, that's been established. Please leave me alone.
Will do.