Page 1 of 53 [ 847 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 12:56 am

Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President in 2020

Quote:
Senator Elizabeth Warren, the Massachusetts Democrat and a sharp critic of big banks and unregulated capitalism, entered the 2020 race for president on Monday, becoming the first major candidate in what is likely to be a long and crowded primary marked by ideological and generational divisions in a Democratic Party determined to beat President Trump.

On Monday, Ms. Warren called Mr. Sanders — a fellow Senate liberal who is also popular with grass-roots activists — as a courtesy and had a brief, matter-of-fact conversation, according to a Democrat briefed on the call.

Getting a jump on the competition, Ms. Warren plans to head to early voting states in the coming weeks, including Iowa, which holds its first-in-the-nation caucus in early February 2020. According to a person familiar with Ms. Warren’s thinking, the timing of her announcement had been decided weeks in advance.

On Monday afternoon outside her home in Cambridge, Mass., flanked by her husband, Bruce H. Mann, a professor at Harvard Law School, and their golden retriever, Bailey, Ms. Warren leaned into her stinging criticisms of wealthy financial interests as she ripped Mr. Trump and branded herself as a champion of the middle class.

“The problem we’ve got right now in Washington is that it works great for those who’ve got money to buy influence, and I’m fighting against that,” Ms. Warren said. “And you bet it’s going to make a lot of people unhappy. But at the end of the day, I don’t go to Washington to work for them.”

In her remarks before a pack of cameras, Ms. Warren shrugged at a question about how she had handled the release of her DNA test, reiterating that she had “put it all out there” and people could see the information for themselves.

She also took a revealing warning shot at the emerging field of presidential hopefuls. “I don’t think we ought to be running campaigns that are funded by billionaires, whether it goes through super PACs or their own money that they’re spending,” she said. “Democrats are the party of the people.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 3:05 am

I will likely vote for the Dems’ candidate in ‘20 (though if the GOP has a reasonable challenger who can trump Trump in the primaries, they will be considered as well), but I would like to hear more about where they stand on the economy, mainly on what their industrial development plan is.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 3:08 am

I want to see Clinton vs Trump again.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 3:19 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2019, 3:23 am

I just want to make it clear right now that I am not a candidate. If nominated I will not run, if elected I will not serve. No importunings, expensive gifts, sports cars, Russian supermodels, Caribbean vacations, or giant ice cream sundaes will make me change my mind. And I'm absolutely positive that that's probably the case.

There Are Four Lights!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 12:00 am

"2020 Presidential Campaign - It’s On"

Lord, help us all.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2019, 12:11 am

Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?
Chelsea vs. Ivanka. :P

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 4:49 am

Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

We'd finally get our female president. Isn't the whole reason Trump was elected that the GOP simply didn't want a female president?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 6:12 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

We'd finally get our female president. Isn't the whole reason Trump was elected that the GOP simply didn't want a female president?

Probably one of many reasons, but I doubt the most outstanding.

I think any woman running for president should not be running as trying to be the first woman president. And also should not run as not being Donald Trump. She should just focus on presenting her qualifications and ability to do the job.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 6:52 am

She'll do a lot better than Clinton; I'd still have e preferred Mr Sanders though.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 7:49 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

The GOP wanted the GOP to win.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 8:07 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

Trump was elected for many reasons the most important being Hillary was the worst candidate at the worst possible time.

One big issue for the dems is do they choose the anti Trump, a super conventional politician, or do they think Trump has permantly changed politics and nominate a celebrity? By celebrity I do not necessarily mean an entertainer(Oprah) but a person who becomes a “rock star” through sheer force of personalty(Michelle Obama)

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Jan 2019, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 8:17 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

Trump was elected for many reasons the most important being Hillary was the worst candidate at the worst possible time.

One big issue for the dems is do they choose the anti Trump, a super conventional politician, or do they think Trump has permantly changed politics and nominate a celebrity? By celebrity I do not neccessarily mean an entertainer but a person who becomes a “rock star” through sheer force of personalty.

I think the dems (party) should stay out of it entirely, I said it last election and nothing has changed. Stay out of it. Don't try to influence the primary, don't put the machine behind anyone. Let them sink or swim, then put the machine behind whoever wins the primary.

Oh, and long term a candidate chosen purely because they match up well vs Trump will potentially come back to bite if they win and then 4 years down the line they're not facing Trump.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 8:35 am

Drake wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

One big issue for the dems is do they choose the anti Trump, a super conventional politician, or do they think Trump has permantly changed politics and nominate a celebrity? By celebrity I do not neccessarily mean an entertainer but a person who becomes a “rock star” through sheer force of personalty.

I think the dems (party) should stay out of it entirely, I said it last election and nothing has changed. Stay out of it. Don't try to influence the primary, don't put the machine behind anyone. Let them sink or swim, then put the machine behind whoever wins the primary.

Oh, and long term a candidate chosen purely because they match up well vs Trump will potentially come back to bite if they win and then 4 years down the line they're not facing Trump.

Not going to happen. The party and pretty much all politics for that matter is consumed by Trump. Every issue is viewed through the lens of does Trump support it.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 9:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Drake wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Heat844 wrote:
Darmok wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Chelsea vs. Don Jr.?

Not going to happen. The party and pretty much all politics for that matter is consumed by Trump. Every issue is viewed through the lens of does Trump support it.

It will be to their detriment. The selling point should not be "not Trump". Just about anyone is "not Trump".

Clinton was practically tailor made for Trump. It's really not something that they should be concerned about.

But yes, I've seen nothing to suggest anything has been learned from this defeat. They just double down harder. Another tip, if they get another female candidate, she should not campaign on being female or first female. Obama won twice without ever talking about being black or first black. Anyone who does care about such things can see it without needing to be told about it, and it just turns off everyone else. But they'll probably just push that narrative even harder.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

Jay Inslee has joined the race:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/washington-governor-jay-inslee-running-president/579217/