Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 5:05 am

Darmok wrote:
Oh yes, she's definitely going to elevate the tenor of Congress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ISAjdPPtU

And yet, did you ever condemn Trump when he used naughty language?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jan 2019, 12:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Wasn't Thomas Jefferson sworn in on a Quran?

Yes, it's the same Qur'an.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 5:31 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

BS.

Jefferson owned a copy of the Koran, and she (the freshman Congresswoman) choose to be sworn in on that particular copy (housed in the Library of Congress) that he owned.

But Jefferson was not sworn into office on his, nor on any, copy of the Koran. He was sworn in on the Bible as normal.

Adams used a book of laws. Teddy Roosevelt didn't use any props. LBJ was sworn in on airforce one in a national emergency because Kennedy was assassinated. They couldn't find a Bible on the plane, but did find a Catholic missal belonging to JFK, so they used that to swear in LBJ. So a few POTUS did not use the Bible, either because of choice, or because of circumstance. But none used the Koran.

++++++++++++++++++++

But Jefferson was one of the Founding Fathers who believed that "there should be no test for religion in running for public office" (now a line in the Constitution), and wrote that "the Buddhist, and Mohammedan" should have an equal shot at elected office. So this IS a truly "Jeffersonian moment" in American history that Americans should take pride in.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 04 Jan 2019, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 5:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Oh yes, she's definitely going to elevate the tenor of Congress:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ISAjdPPtU
Agreed. She's certainly no worse that our Profanitor In Chief.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 6:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Oh yes, she's definitely going to elevate the tenor of Congress:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ISAjdPPtU
Agreed. She's certainly no worse that our Profanitor In Chief.

It will be amusing to see his supporters tie themselves up in knots of hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty to condemn her while dismissing any concern over his language.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jan 2019, 6:57 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

BS.

Jefferson owned a copy of the Koran, and she (the freshman Congresswoman) choose to be sworn in on that particular copy (housed in the Library of Congress) that he owned.

But Jefferson was not sworn into office on his, nor on any, copy of the Koran. He was sworn in on the Bible as normal.

Yep you're right, I made a mistake.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 10:21 am

Related:
Kyrsten Sinema swears in to Congress using copy of Constitution instead of religious book

Quote:
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) took her ceremonial oath of office holding her hand on a copy of the Constitution rather than a religious text such as the Bible.

Vice President Pence can be seen in video of the moment ending Sinema's oath by saying the standard words, "so help you God?," to which Sinema responded, "I do." He then says that he looks forward to working with her in Congress.

A spokesperson for the senator confirmed to The Arizona Republic that the book was from the Library of Congress and contained texts of the U.S. and Arizona constitutions.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Kyrsten always gets sworn in on a Constitution simply because of her love for the Constitution," Sinema’s spokesman, John LaBombard, told the local publication. However, LaBombard did not reportedly address Sinema’s religious views.

Sinema is the only member of Congress who openly identifies as religiously unaffiliated, according to the Pew Research Center for Religion and Public Life.

But The Arizona Republic points out that Sinema’s move to forgo using a religious book to take her ceremonial oath, as most members of Congress typically do, may only fuel ongoing speculation that she is an atheist.

The Arizona Democrat emerged on the national stage in November when she became the state's first female senator and the first Democrat to win a Senate race in Arizona since 1988.

Sinema is also the second openly LGBTQ person to be elected to Senate, joining Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.), who is a lesbian.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 7:12 pm

what do atheists get sworn in on, the dictionary?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 8:00 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
what do atheists get sworn in on, the dictionary?

Whatever book is handy.

"Place your hand on Spot's First Walk and repeat after me..."

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 8:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tlaib is the first Palestinian-American woman to serve in Congress. She and incoming Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota will also be the first two Muslim women ever elected to Congress. During her campaign, Tlaib embraced progressive ideas like Medicare-for-all, a $15 minimum wage, debt-free college, calls to abolish ICE and to impeach the President.

But no, I expect people to only remember that she's a Muslim.

Source: Rashida Tlaib will make history with her swearing-in.

I agree very much with that last part. It's sad but true. :lol:

It's just like with Obama. I think that the only thing anybody really cared about was his skin color and most people were either all for him or completely against him due to the fact that he became our first black president.

*sigh*

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:08 am

As an ex Muslim atheist I would say that any woman who still follows Islam either doesn’t know her religion well or in denial or she really believes she’s second class to men - either way, It is a sign of lack in critical thinking.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 8:48 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
As an ex Muslim atheist I would say that any woman who still follows Islam either doesn’t know her religion well or in denial or she really believes she’s second class to men - either way, It is a sign of lack in critical thinking.

I could say the exact same thing about Christian women but I don't feel like going there.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 3:04 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

agree

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 3:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Similarly, the Koran is an add on to the OT and the NT.

No, it's not. Though it borrows ideas and characters from the Old and New Testaments, it is not a supplemental to the Bible, and the OT and NT aren't recognized in Islam.

You've obviously never read the Koran. It's a bunch of dictations (supposedly) by Mohammed, listed longest to shortest. Not a single book from either old or new testaments.