Do they cut your foodstamps when you're approved for SSI?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2019, 5:22 am

starkid wrote:
lostguyFL wrote:

well you were right. i just got a letter saying that they're cutting my foodstamps down to 15$ a month. im not upset about it though because i can afford to buy even more food now that ive been approved for SSI so it's cool.

Jesus, that's awful. I'm glad you are not upset, but having disabled people live on so little is ridiculous in one of the richest countries in the world.

I have a pending SSDI application, and I would be pissed if my food stamps benefit were decreased so much after I'm awarded so little money.

Paying for food with cash instead of food stamps would be a nice change, however—it's idiotic that people cannot purchase hot ready-made food with food stamps, especially given that homeless people get a hot meal so rarely.

That’s exactly what happened when I was approved for SSDI. While I was waiting for my appeal for being denied SSDI benefits, I was receiving SNAP in the amount of $200.00 per month. This was shortly after the 2008 economic meltdown. After being rewarded benefits, it was cut to $16.00 / month, and was reduced again to $15.00 last year, no thanks to Trumpty-Dumpty and his minions.

As for the food bank? DON’T MAKE ME LAUGH!! ! I seldom see fresh ANYTHING at the bank I visit. Granted, I have
Sensory issues with a lot of fruits and vegetables (can’t handle the tastes and textures (what little I have left, no thanks to metformin (metformin leaves a permanent metallic taste in my mouth.))

Of course, this being York County, PA, i’m Being ostracized since receiving SNAP, SSDI, Medicare and Medicaid. It’s why I seldom leave the house.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 5:54 pm

My sister gets SSI. I told her about this thread and asked her how much she gets a month. Her SSI is a little over $900 a month, and she gets $14 a month in stamps.

In contrast, I'm waiting to be approved for SSI and I get $192 in food stamps. I'm 100% sure they'll cut them when I get approved. We live in Illinois.

Afaik SSI and food stamps are federal but what you get from SNAP is determined by the state. Sorry. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Mar 2019, 11:43 am

My girlfriend's food-stamps got cut by a few bux this year because there was a COLA increase for Social Security so her SSI had went up. I don't know how much she gets in food-stamps but I think it's like at least $150(max is $200). Maybe we live in a better state for SNAP than lots or maybe the members who posted here are not the only members of their household or they don't pay rent or a mortgage. I'm classified as Cass's live-in-aid/caretaker cuz she cant handle living alone so my income is not factored in when it comes to benefits. I'm not supposed to pay rent or utilities & Cass says on paperwork that we prepare meals separately which isn't exactly true but we kinda each pay for our own portions of it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition