Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jan 2019, 6:11 pm

My daughter is about to start her sixth week in a psych ward (a REALLY bad psych ward) without a commital hearing. And her mental health, which wasn't really bad to begin with, is sliding towards real mental illness--purely because she's stuck in this place, with no natural light, a sadistic psychiatrist, and a culture of total compliance. Last week he punished her for uncontrollable scratching (stimmingfor stress relief) with sleep deprivation (the techs had orders to wake her every time they couldn't actually see her hands). Last night she had a huge meltdown (hasn't had one like that since she was six). I don't think anyone can help. Guess I just needed to vent. My smart, kind, talented daughter may never recover from this.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 6:28 pm

Give this story to the press, assuming that's possible.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 6:36 pm

Have her tell the psychiatrist she'll press charges if they come near her. I've been there, these people hide behind corrupt lawyers who refuse to see their patients for a payment if I had to guess.

If I were her I'd ask the other staff to call the police if this doc interferes with her case again. It's her way or the highway, or they may well manufacture more excuses to keep this up.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Last edited by cberg on 04 Jan 2019, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

Don't know the legal situation. Go to the police station and tell them that you need to get her out or at least to another hospital. May be they can help with this. If you need to sue the hospital for this - do it.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 7:00 pm

You might also try serving them notice through a medical malpractice lawyer.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 9:53 pm

Wards like that are hell. Situations like your daughter's really get to me. I am really sorry. Totally shameful how they are treating your daughter. :(

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2019, 10:11 pm

I was locked up for 21 days once, I didn't get to go outside at all. I also couldn't contact my court appointed attorney even though she was ONE TOWN AWAY. These people have no interest in treating anyone, they're in it for their next Porsche.

They will lie, cheat, steal and manipulate until they've manufactured evidence of any & all mental illness. I've completely given up on the American medical establishment. I told my psychiatrist just yesterday that I don't buy any of it, I only take meds for anxiety & sleep. I don't care who they think I am because they're completely dependent on a bunch of conflicting records to make assumptions about me.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 12:50 pm

cberg wrote:
I've completely given up on the American medical establishment. I told my psychiatrist just yesterday that I don't buy any of it...

This sounds somewhat contradictory. You've lost faith in the medical establishment, then in the very next sentence start talking about your psychiatrist.

That said, I agree with you. I think the American medical establishment is all right when it comes to PHYSICAL things: a broken arm, an infected tooth, an uncontrollable bleeding gash; or, with well-known medical infections with known cures, such as a viral infection treated with anti-biotics.

When it comes to ANYTHING else, namely mental health, we're still very much in the days of leeches.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm basically just humoring my family.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 1:03 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Give this story to the press, assuming that's possible.

Agreed with this, and contact a lawyer.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia