When you're a non-American on this site...

Page 1 of 7 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,097

05 Jan 2019, 1:18 pm

...Some things can really go completely over your head if you're not familiar enough with the laws and the culture. I mean when a conversation turns to disability benefits and the like I usually follow, interested, but don't really say anything 'cause I've gotten the impression that that stuff works very differently in America than in here (not that I really know that well about how it works over here, either) so I keep my mouth shut 'cause I really don't know anything anyway. And I don't even try to talk about politics unless it has to do with something universal like the rights of disabled or women. I mean how could I bring anything to a conversation about American politics when American politicians that I can actually name from the top of my head can be counted with my fingers and I'm pretty sure all are presidents aside from Hillary Clinton (and I'm not even sure if I wrote that one right which kinda tells a lot.)
There's other stuff too of course, like sometimes when people talk about some school or work trouble or something I find it that I can't really relate as much as I'd like to or that I'm clearly missing something since things are done differently here.
And of course, just the culture in general. It seems that some things that are fine here are considered rude in America and the other way around, so some things might just be plain cultural differences.

And no, I'm not complaining about the amount of Americans here, it's pretty natural on a site where the main language is English and the founder might be American as well, I don't know, but I just wanted to point this out 'cause I feel like they might not always take in to account that not everyone here is an American and the differences between them and some other people here might be about culture differences instead of age gap or autistic misunderstandings. Of course, the rest of us are also likely to forget about cultural differences, it's certainly not just Americans, but since they seem to be a majority I used that as an example.

The point is, people, before you accuse someone of being wrong or say "that's not how it goes", check what country or culture they're from (and remember that there are different cultures inside of a same country, too) and if you can't see it, never just assume where someone is from. The world is a huge place so the chances that you're wrong are high.



TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285
Location: Hanging out with my coca cola ladies

05 Jan 2019, 1:20 pm

I'll keep all that in mind :wtg:


_________________
Break out the bubbly!


Noca
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 May 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,268
Location: Canada

05 Jan 2019, 10:09 pm

Not an issue for me as Canadians are often very aware of American culture/politics, just not the other way around. For example, 2/3 of our TV shows are American and much of the internet is designed with Americans at the center of it. Just sort of used to it I guess.


_________________
The top gets higher the more that I climb...

Your neurodiverse score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 51 of 200

officially diagnosed with Asperger's as of 09/11/15

Reassessed 04/11/16
DSM-V: ASD level 2 with Social Communication Severity: level 2, Restrictive Repetitve Behaviour: level 2

ADOS-2 classification: Autism


BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,593

05 Jan 2019, 10:20 pm

But aren't Aspies stereotypically insensitive to others with a different mindset?



DystopianShadows
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Nov 2018
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 911
Location: At home, calling the Ghostbusters

05 Jan 2019, 10:24 pm

The chances that we're wrong are high?
I'd put it more 50/50.


_________________
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"


Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,165
Location: Out of my mind

05 Jan 2019, 10:28 pm

I've had people tell me I don't use English correctly or complain or make fun of my spelling of something when it is correct on my side of the pond, or plain tell me that a word doesn't exist and I'm making it up.

Often too, people just assume you're American because why would you be anything else?


_________________
It's like I'm sleepwalking


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,620
Location: In a Book

05 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

I agree, Fireblossom and Raleigh! I can't keep up with any of the American banter, even though I have American relatives and I lived there briefly over 30 years ago.



Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,097

06 Jan 2019, 6:01 am

BTDT wrote:
But aren't Aspies stereotypically insensitive to others with a different mindset?


That's the stereotype, yes, but that doesn't mean that Autism would always be the only reason for conflicts. Oh and I would rather say that our way of speaking often comes across as insensitive instead of saying that we are insensitive. It's a bit "softer" stereotype and makes it clearer that while that might be the case sometimes, people with autism aren't automatically insensitive and certainly not on purpose.

Besides, I think it's more of a human thing than an autism thing to be wary of those not like you. Majority of neurotypicals can just hide it better than us when they want to since they are better at picking up on when it's okay to say or do this and that from body language and such.



TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285
Location: Hanging out with my coca cola ladies

06 Jan 2019, 8:16 am

I think people with autism are just bluntly honest. That's why they come across as insensitive sometime.

And the vast majority of Americans are not only unaware of what goes on in other countries but they are also raised to believe that everything in the world is about them. I don't think it's fair to hold that against us because that's just the kind of culture we have. It really can't be helped. :|


_________________
Break out the bubbly!


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,097

06 Jan 2019, 9:05 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
And the vast majority of Americans are not only unaware of what goes on in other countries but they are also raised to believe that everything in the world is about them. I don't think it's fair to hold that against us because that's just the kind of culture we have. It really can't be helped. :|


Wait, that's not just an exaggerated stereotype that Europeans have about Americans? Even some Americans think that way? I mean I always believed there to be some truth in it since stereotypes don't come from nowhere, but if it's really common in the eyes of an American then it's kind of alarming. Not that I'm holding that kind of stuff against anyone, just reminding that there are other ways of doing things too than the American way or the American way you are used to.



TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285
Location: Hanging out with my coca cola ladies

06 Jan 2019, 9:14 am

Fireblossom wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
And the vast majority of Americans are not only unaware of what goes on in other countries but they are also raised to believe that everything in the world is about them. I don't think it's fair to hold that against us because that's just the kind of culture we have. It really can't be helped. :|


Wait, that's not just an exaggerated stereotype that Europeans have about Americans? Even some Americans think that way? I mean I always believed there to be some truth in it since stereotypes don't come from nowhere, but if it's really common in the eyes of an American then it's kind of alarming. Not that I'm holding that kind of stuff against anyone, just reminding that there are other ways of doing things too than the American way or the American way you are used to.


Every stereotype exists for a reason. It's not fair to subject every individual to a stereotype, but stereotypes would not exist if the majority of people in a group did not fit them.

But I'm an American too and I like to believe that I don't give into that mindset if I'm at least smart enough to realize this.


_________________
Break out the bubbly!


SaveFerris
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,973
Location: UK

06 Jan 2019, 11:31 am

Fireblossom wrote:

The point is, people, before you accuse someone of being wrong or say "that's not how it goes", check what country or culture they're from (and remember that there are different cultures inside of a same country, too) and if you can't see it, never just assume where someone is from. The world is a huge place so the chances that you're wrong are high.


Ain't gonna happen FB , some of us higher functioning Aspies get it ( if the functioning level is what makes the difference ) but to expect everyone here to get it is a very Aspie thought :lol:


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard


TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,285
Location: Hanging out with my coca cola ladies

06 Jan 2019, 11:37 am

I think I get it. :D


_________________
Break out the bubbly!


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,097

06 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Ain't gonna happen FB , some of us higher functioning Aspies get it ( if the functioning level is what makes the difference ) but to expect everyone here to get it is a very Aspie thought :lol:


Imagine that disturbing moment when you realize you have the same nickname as Facebook. :lol:



SaveFerris
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2016
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,973
Location: UK

06 Jan 2019, 12:21 pm

^ Sorry FireB :lol:


_________________
R Tape loading error, 0:1

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard