Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Anton Kohoutek
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jan 2019, 4:45 am

Anyone love either or both? Play or love or both?

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 5:33 am

I like both. I play classical but I compose baroque.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 6:01 am

I love the music of the Baroque era for its innocence and sense of salvation - one can feel the absence of the ugly, disastrous, so called "Enlightenment" and how much safer and more benign a place the world was. That said, I also like later music, including the incredibly harsh, industrial music of people like Bartók, precisely because it so eloquently states what I hate about modernity.

Anton Kohoutek
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2019, 11:03 am

I must say I was hurt by the cleverly worded antisemitic statement by way of reply to my post for Mozart's birthday. redrobin knew I was a Jew when he threw his love of Wagner in my face. Wagner,the protoNazi,as the Germans call him,who wrote Jew hating pamphlets along with his music and was loved by Hitler.,who had a friend and supporter in Winifried Wagner. The Israel Philharmonic won't play a thing by Richard Wagner to this day. Of course, to say that one of his works was redrobin,s favorite music that spoke to his soul was an attack on Jews in general and me.As we know, you can't separate a man's writings,music or words,from the man. They are part of him. I thought we were not allowed to make personal attacks here.
No

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

I don't believe RedRobin meant to be anti-Semitic.

People love Wagner. They might not know how much the Nazis loved him, or about Wagner's actual life.

I'm a Jew.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 11:52 am

Separating the artist from the art... I spent a few hours at University working on that one. Ignoring the academic rigour... if there is something I don't like about the artist, then the art is tainted too... for me.

Anyway... I play tenor sax and flute. I have played and performed all kinds of (non-classical) music on the sax, but on the flute I usually play baroque (badly). I have a deal with myself that when I can play Bach's "Badinerie" to an acceptable level and without fault or hesitation I will buy myself a new flute. I think my money is quite safe at the moment and I will probably expect delivery on my 150th birthday.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 12:31 pm

I can play one instrument: the subway seat....

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 9:10 pm

I love classical and baroque music. Have played both piano and violin. But I love deep listening of same all my life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 9:13 pm

I wish I had that sort of musical talent.

It doesn't mean I'm jealous or envious.

It just a wish of mine.

Music is the thing that people who have trouble communicating use to communicate.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 4:00 am

Sorry, Anton. I'm not anti-Semitic. I'm just a mixed-race gay autistic guy from Trinidad & Tobago who discovered classical music when he was a teenager. Yes, this included Wagner way before I read about his Antisemitism.

When I wrote about Tannhauser in your post, in the back of my mind, I was wondering if you'd be offended. The reason I did was because Jewish composer/pianist Daniel Barenboim, past music director of the Israel Philharmonic, was trying to get the Israel Philharmonic to program Wagner's works in Tel Aviv as he had done previously in Germany, Italy and elsewhere. I have the utmost respect for Barenboim because, at 17, he performed and recorded all 32 of Beethoven's piano sonatas FROM MEMORY and is still one of the few Beethoven scholars in existence. Also, from his master classes, I'd learned how how to interpret Beethoven's sonatas as pictures or architecture.

In a similar note, should I shun all the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft because he was a known racist? How about the cartoons of Walt Disney? The movies of John Wayne? The writings of Thomas Jefferson? Hell, even classical music is said to have a history of racism.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/25/arts ... story.html

I can't imagine all the white composers, conductors and music programmers welcoming black people with open arms. Similarly, if I was a homophobe, I'd be robbing myself of the music of Elton John, Queen, Culture Club, Judas Priest, the B-52's, George Michael, the Village People, R.E.M., etc.

So, no, I had no intention of being antisemitic. I'll just be more careful from now on.

Anton Kohoutek
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Feb 2019, 6:51 pm

Yes, I think we should boycott anything from an antisemitic or other racist. It is the only decent thing to do. I was raised that any Jew, even worse, who doesn't has no respect for his or her own heritage.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 9:26 pm

I love both but I prefer baroque. I love the order and neatness. Even within the tight constraints of tonality from the time it could express such emotion. I'm not religious but the music about salvation and God's love is so gentle and comforting to me.
Classical music is great too, even as composers started to move away from the same strict tonality I like so much. Baroque constraints definitely bred creativity, but it was good/inevitable that composers started to be more daring and adventurous. Mozart isn't so much my cup of tea though. Haydn is my man. Love me that Farewell Symphony.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides