Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
DystopianShadows wrote:
A psychiatrist from Yale? I don't put a whole lot of stock into what someone like that thinks.
And actually, if you really look at it, I would say that it is the liberal who continues to display traits that toddlers grow out of. Conservatives don't get triggered by every little thing that's said.

are you sure?
you sound severely triggered.
actually no, you're right. they only get triggered by extremely important things, for example, college students dancing on rooftops.

Uh...what the hell are you even talking about?

Probably this

yes

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:59 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

"xenophobia" would probably be best. oh well

but no, i don't think trump is making anyone more racist, or anything. if you like the bigoted things he says then chances are you were already a bigot before he came along. it's just exposure. credit to him for exposing just how far we have left to go in getting over medieval ways of thinking.

I don't like the bigoted things he says, and I really hate it when his supporters defend him. Just so you know.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 8:02 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Credentials don't count for much when strong personal bias is involved.

EXACTLY!! This is one of the reasons why I've often said that college degrees don't make someone smart, it only makes them learned.

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless, mind you I'm a self-trained hacker & software engineer who dropped out of high school with a GED & I still think higher education is more important than this.

People make themselves smart, or they don't. By the way, Trump founded a fraudulent "university" that was illegal under NY state law.

I feel so sorry for America that it has become the sort of place where "learned" is a slur to fling at someone, that an education is thought of as something to be mocked and disdained instead as seen as a tool of self-empowerment. That's so very sad, and tragic. I fear for the next generation of young people, if this attitude proliferates and hangs around.

How can people act in their own best interest if they are not informed about their best interest, about themselves, about the world around them? If one sees education as the enemy, what hope is there in determining where one's best interest lies?

I think that low opinion of education is mostly held by the right. They're the ones who disdain evolution and the eons old age of the earth. And not just science; the arts are regarded by the right as an effete waste of time. The only use they have for higher education is if it involves business and making money in one regard or another.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

Speaking of lousy education am I the only one who notices that American politicians take full advantage of the fact that most Americans know very little about politics?

I remember a quote from Deseperate Housewives where Gabrielle married a politician and he made the comment "The country is full of idiots and every one of them gets a vote". Think about that...

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

I mean Marc Cherry is a Republican and I don't think he would joke about that on his show if he didn't actually feel that way. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:01 pm

There are politicians who have expressed the thought, in private, that "everybody else is an idiot."

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are politicians who have expressed the thought, in private, that "everybody else is an idiot."

I guess when it comes down to it they're all megalomaniacs.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:18 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

EXACTLY!! This is one of the reasons why I've often said that college degrees don't make someone smart, it only makes them learned.

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless, mind you I'm a self-trained hacker & software engineer who dropped out of high school with a GED & I still think higher education is more important than this.

People make themselves smart, or they don't. By the way, Trump founded a fraudulent "university" that was illegal under NY state law.

I feel so sorry for America that it has become the sort of place where "learned" is a slur to fling at someone, that an education is thought of as something to be mocked and disdained instead as seen as a tool of self-empowerment. That's so very sad, and tragic. I fear for the next generation of young people, if this attitude proliferates and hangs around.

How can people act in their own best interest if they are not informed about their best interest, about themselves, about the world around them? If one sees education as the enemy, what hope is there in determining where one's best interest lies?

no, i really don't think Cat was using "learned" as a slur, or implying that higher education isn't something one should strive for.

i think we can agree that spending years at any university doesn't make one any wiser, but certainly more educated and knowledgeable, which is what i think she was trying to get at. wisdom comes from experience.
schooling can give you some of that, but you have to live life a bit more fully IMO to get the rest.

Edited because I realized I misremembered which moderator intensely dislikes me personally. Sorry about that.

Last edited by karathraceandherspecialdestiny on 07 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Yikes, a (seemingly informal) Salon interview? Doesn't seem like a terribly credible source...maybe I was just expecting another source.

cberg wrote:
Dude have any of you ever realized that tunnels can go directly under walls?

lmao. I think most of the people the wall would be designed to keep out (poor, desperate, unprepared) won't have the resources to dig very deep, though, so the wall could simply be set deeply into the ground.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:24 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Most illegal immigrants arrive by airplane and overstay their visas. Also.. tunnels, ladders, boats, and the world’s longest undefended border to the North. A wall solves nothing & wastes tax dollars that could be better spent on effective border security, education, healthcare, or literally anything else.

Maybe Trump and his followers aren't interested in most illegal immigrants. Maybe they are only or mainly interested in a particular group of illegal immigrants—the ones who get here via the Southern U.S. border.

Campin_Cat wrote:

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless

I agree with a person above that that comment was not intended to denigrate formal education.

Kraichgauer wrote:

I think that low opinion of education is mostly held by the right. They're the ones who disdain evolution and the eons old age of the earth. And not just science; the arts are regarded by the right as an effete waste of time. The only use they have for higher education is if it involves business and making money in one regard or another.

It's good to see someone keeping the mindless partisan stereotyping alive in this forum. What would anyone discuss if not for the endless right vs. left/us vs. them stuff? People might have to discuss actual individual political issues?! With actual nuance, instead of lumping issues together in "right" and "left" packages for easy consumption! The horror.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:28 pm

starkid wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Most illegal immigrants arrive by airplane and overstay their visas. Also.. tunnels, ladders, boats, and the world’s longest undefended border to the North. A wall solves nothing & wastes tax dollars that could be better spent on effective border security, education, healthcare, or literally anything else.

Maybe Trump and his followers aren't interested in most illegal immigrants. Maybe they are only or mainly interested in a particular group of illegal immigrants—the ones who get here via the Southern U.S. border.

Campin_Cat wrote:

Snarking on the necessity of education is pretty classless

I agree with a person above that that comment was not intended to denigrate formal education.

Kraichgauer wrote:

It's good to see someone keeping the mindless partisan stereotyping alive in this forum. What would anyone discuss if not for the endless right vs. left/us vs. them stuff? People might have to discuss actual individual political issues?! With actual nuance, instead of lumping issues together in "right" and "left" packages for easy consumption! The horror.

To be certain, not everyone on the right is like that, but it's still true that it's rarely persons on the left advocating such positions.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:37 pm

I just wanted to apologize to Kiprobalhato, I mixed you up with another former moderator who has personally attacked me on previous occasions. I shouldn't have said that, it wasn't directed at you.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:50 pm

apology very much accepted !

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 1:01 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

no, i really don't think Cat was using "learned" as a slur, or implying that higher education isn't something one should strive for.

i think we can agree that spending years at any university doesn't make one any wiser, but certainly more educated and knowledgeable, which is what i think she was trying to get at. wisdom comes from experience.
schooling can give you some of that, but you have to live life a bit more fully IMO to get the rest.

One of my teachers said that in some cases someone having a PhD simply means that they persevered.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 1:11 am

EzraS wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
cberg wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
EzraS wrote:

One of my teachers said that in some cases someone having a PhD simply means that they persevered.

I have a automotive degree but I’d recommend never letting me work on your car. I wouldn’t have any clue what to do beyond simple stuff others could do.
At most I could maybe do brakes, but I do t remember the specs or formulas of how brake system works. Anyone can be taught to replace brakes though as tire stores show by hiring and training random people to do it.
I dont know why a degree is even required, everyone wants to be ase certified though. Most the people from my class who are still working in the field were skilled mechanics before they went to college doing it to get the degree.

People with enough money or connections can get phds doesn’t mean they learned anything or are expertss, meanwhile people with no schooling can be true experts and most experts won’t call themselves experts as there’s no way to know everything they say.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 5:04 am

if you are in a submarine that springs a leak, you have to patch it up fast or you will drown.

i am in australia so i have no personal connection to this, but i think it is sound reasoning.