Why are there more Conservatives than Liberals?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 6:50 am

I'm suspecting there might be far more conservatives/right wingers than liberals/left wingers globally speaking.

I'm thinking of the newly elected president of Brasil (Bolsonaro), Trump, Turkey's Erdogan, Orban's Hungary, Poland and Italy's new government, AFD in Germany as the largest opposition party and Sweden Democrats (Sverigedemokraterna), Putin's government etc.

I could go on all day listing all the right wing governments elected by the people.

Do any statistics back up this claim (that more people are right wingers than left wingers), and if so - how is it explained - ie. why are more people conservatives than left wing liberals?

I think Conservatism is very much a Neurotypical thing.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:03 am

GODS favor conservatism :P

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:05 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

Then God is evil.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:07 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Then God is evil.

That's the problem for liberals -- they don't have a GOD that backs them up like conservatives do. :P

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 7:15 am

Many liberals are theistic, some even citing Jesus as the reason for their views.

That said, we also have to consider where one is on the left or right (conservatism and liberalism have their own spectra, within the larger political spectrum), fiscal vs. social, hawkish vs. dovish, et al.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:20 am

I noticed conservatives are more common in rural areas and small towns and liberals are more common in big cities. Since there's more rural communities in the US than there are big cities maybe that has something to do with it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:25 am

It all evens out. That’s why most Presidential elections are close these days.

Rural people tend to lean Republican. Urban people Democrat. Both coasts tend to be quite blue; whereas inland tends to be red.

A Trumpite is not necessarily a conservative. And many conservatives aren’t Trumpites.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It all evens out. That’s why most Presidential elections are close these days.

Rural people tend to lean Republican. Urban people Democrat. Both coasts tend to be quite blue; whereas inland tends to be red.

A Trumpite is not necessarily a conservative. And many conservatives aren’t Trumpites.

That's very true. As I've said before I actually know some conservatives who hate Trump.

I feel like fanatical Trumpets are in a class all on their own.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 9:52 am

I would put Trump in a category which describes some conservatives and some liberals: Reactionary.

He just reacts: He's afraid of too many Mexicans coming into the US, so he advocates building a wall. He doesn't think things though, even though he might realize that building the Wall, really, is but a symbolic gesture.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would put Trump in a category which describes some conservatives and some liberals: Reactionary.

He just reacts: He's afraid of too many Mexicans coming into the US, so he advocates building a wall. He doesn't think things though, even though he might realize that building the Wall, really, is but a symbolic gesture.

He also appeals to a lot of the as*holes in this country by telling them exactly what they all secretly want to hear.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:49 am

I know a few of these "as*holes" personally. And they all really dig Trump.

He appeals to the Dickhead in all of us.....

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:51 am

I'm suspecting there might be far more conservatives/right wingers than liberals/left wingers globally speaking.
Define "Conservative".
I think Conservatism is very much a Neurotypical thing.
It is also a Neurodiverse "thing".

I have to wonder if this is just another case of "Virtue Signaling" against both Conservatives and Neurotypicals.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 10:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know a few of these "as*holes" personally. And they all really dig Trump.

He appeals to the Dickhead in all of us.....

Not mine... :lol: ;)

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 1:53 pm

I don't think it's likely things have changed much in terms of what people are at heart. It is ineptitude from the left that has caused this. The right hasn't gotten better, they are like a car overtaking a car that was travelling faster but has slowed down.

However I do think people are very gradually incrementally being pushed to the right because of this.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:01 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Then God is evil.

That's the problem for liberals -- they don't have a GOD that backs them up like conservatives do. :P

"conservatism = evil"

huuh??

also, sweetie, if your political leaning needs a SUPERNATURAL FORCE to prop it up....it probably isn't worth discussing hahahaha

/s

i don't think people are flocking to the right. the wave of right wing governments propping up all over the world hardly represents the will of the people and when they do have popular support at the beginning, it rarely strays consistent. that's my observation.

most countries still have a huge segment of their population, if not a majority, spread out in rural areas which are more likely to lean conservative.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 2:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

yeah, i agree "reactionary" would be a fit descriptor.

if we take his statements at face value, then he's all over the place politically

i disagree that conservatism is necessarily a neutotypical thing. one just needs to poke around this website for a little while to discover otherwise.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.