Weird things you got "written up" for?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm

Not exactly "written up", but on my most recent performance review my boss actually dinged me for being too much of a perfectionist and said I needed to learn when "close enough" is good enough. So I'd be more productive, of course...

I'm an engineering data analyst for a large aircraft manufacturer, details MATTER!

That is, however, the worst thing any manager I've had in the 22 years I've been here has been able to come up with.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Feb 2019, 4:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I got written up a couple of times for meowing in the hallway.

This hasn't happened in many years, though.

You could be written up if you sneeze in the wrong way! :mrgreen:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 9:06 am

I got written up years ago for postings things right here on wrong planet years ago, which was outside of work in regards to various situations. From dealing from workplace bullying to unfairness to sexual harassment It's a long story how that they got information about me but the owner and boss of that company. Anyway, when they found out, I was accused about "Gossiping about them outside of work." :lol: Yet, they had no problem gossiping. So, while they were waiting to meet with the job coach, they were pouting. When I said hi, a few of them snapped at me and said, "Good morning!" When the job coach came, the boss threw a big hissy fit and put me on a guilt trip. She didn't even stick around to talk things over with me. :lol:

Some bosses can be so childish and she certainly was.

johntober
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2019, 12:33 am

At a school district they were having a department Christmas party and everyone was to bring an ornament to trade (never did understand the concept). I had never heard of such a thing as the only ornaments I had seen were in packs of 8 or 10 and didn’t seem much of a trade. Some people had already brought theirs so I asked to see one as an example. The “supervisor” blew up and wrote me up as being “willfully defiant”.

Needs_Anonymity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2019, 10:16 am

Some of my stupidest ones:

Using too many big words.
Using negation words (not "having a negative attitude", literally ever using grammatical negation, even if the whole sentence was solution-finding).
Someone else in the organization having a problem with me, where I wasn't told what the alleged problem was.
Using a folding screen in my cube for 2 consecutive days, when plenty of people use them every day.
Not cc-ing my immediate supervisor on every single email to her superiors (when the only times I'd done this, the superior wrote to me without a cc and I replied).
Sending software tips to my team by email.

:roll:

Ferretmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Mar 2019, 10:47 pm

I haven’t been officially written up, but here are some of the things for which bosses have criticized me:
1) Coming in and just working (WTF? Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do at work?)
2) Not socializing enough (I work in a non-customer-facing role at a bank, not a social club.)
3) Offering help (when it is so clearly needed)
4) Being too focused on my work (again, WTF?)
5) Producing accurate, complete, and well-researched reports (instead of half-assed “just good enough”)
6) Being “too honest” (That little gem was actually in my written review one time.)
7) This one’s my favorite: “People know when you think they’re stupid.”

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2019, 2:03 pm

Telling co-workers what they need to do to get their jobs done, instead of acknowledging their feelings, handing them the manuals, and telling them jokes.

ColHamilton
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2019, 5:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Telling co-workers what they need to do to get their jobs done, instead of acknowledging their feelings, handing them the manuals, and telling them jokes.

I've been brought up for similar reasons, when it was described as "tactlessness". I wrote detailed emails containing numbered lists of suggestions for improvement to colleagues – reviewing work is part of my job description, so it seemed appropriate to me – but apparently I didn't apply enough emotional padding? :D

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2019, 8:35 am

ColHamilton wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I've been brought up for similar reasons, when it was described as "tactlessness". I wrote detailed emails containing numbered lists of suggestions for improvement to colleagues -- reviewing work is part of my job description, so it seemed appropriate to me -- but apparently I didn't apply enough emotional padding?
I told a colleague that certain levels were not to exceed certain values during certain tests. When he failed to monitor those values and the results came out all wonky in front of the bosses, he blamed me for making him anxious by distracting him with instructions and confusing him with facts.

"Leave him alone and let him do his job" … they simply couldn't understand that he wasn't doing his job, he was just pencil-whipping the checklist.

People don't want to listen if it means putting forth the effort to do what is right, and then they blame me for making them feel bad when things go wrong.

Stupid people.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2019, 10:44 am

johntober wrote:
At a school district they were having a department Christmas party and everyone was to bring an ornament to trade (never did understand the concept). I had never heard of such a thing as the only ornaments I had seen were in packs of 8 or 10 and didn’t seem much of a trade. Some people had already brought theirs so I asked to see one as an example. The “supervisor” blew up and wrote me up as being “willfully defiant”.

A person like that honestly sounds like they are unstable themselves because that sounds like it was all in their head.

Other things I was written up for and fired - Sniffing the food, telling my supervisor that I understood why one guest was mad that he was not getting a refund, for touching the cell phone of a guest as I was interested in buying one myself, asking a customer about her cats, while she was buying food.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2019, 4:16 pm

I work in a union environment and we are allowed in our CBA to inspect our employee file at least once a year. I did so last week for the first time in my 8 years working there. I found a letter of bad attendance back in 2013 and in the letter I was asked to attend a meeting to discuss the absenteeism and lates. The on problem I had with that being on my file despite actually having a punctuality problem at that time was that I was never handed that letter and I know that meeting never took place. Haven't heard back on whether that is going to be removed from my file or if I have to put in a grievance on that matter.

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:15 pm

Yawning at early morning meetings.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

MonaLyssa33
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Apr 2019, 6:28 pm

When I worked at a grocery store, I got "demoted" from an "occasional manager" because a customer was yelling at me and I wasn't responding how she wanted me to. She said I was not even trying to fix the problem. I can't even remember what the problem was, but anytime I get yelled at, I shut down and struggle to speak. I hadn't yet been diagnosed with autism and my boss didn't think I was (because you know a store manager also has a medical degree... :roll: )

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 9:57 am

I don't know if I was written up for this but I was called out for. Recently, at work, I got an email blasted from another sub-department about a baby shower which I thought was sent to everyone in the entire department and that included people who I work with. So I went right? No problem. The next day, my supervisor, who is networked with a few of them got an email from them.

"Hey, did you go this baby shower? They were puzzled about why you were there? Next time, ask us if that's a good idea?" Excuse me?

Last year, there were a couple of young adults on the spectrum who kept following me and not taking the hint that it was not a good time. I told them, "Hey you are following me like a puppy dog, please stop," which I later apologized to my supervisor to while explaining the situation. The next thing I know, I get a warning about someone taking disciplinary action again against me. Here they are always getting onto me about learning to respect boundaries and talk down to me all the time. Yet, it's not okay to set examples for others on the spectrum.