Fired Teacher arrested for dragging Autistic through hall

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 3:25 am

Teacher Dragged 9-year-Old Autistic Child Through School Corridor, Arrested

Quote:
Trina Abrams, an elementary teacher from Kentucky was arrested Monday, following her act of dragging a 9-year-old autistic student through the hall of the school. The incident took place October 2018 and was captured in the CCTV footage of the school.

The Greenup County School District prioritizes the safety of our students. The district followed established safety protocol as soon as this situation became known. The parent was contacted immediately and the student was assessed by the school nurse and referred for outside medical evaluation," Sherry Horsely, the school district's superintendent, reportedly said.

Mother of the victim, Angel Nelson recounted the ordeal that how the accused kept dragging her son throughout the corridor from one classroom to another despite him being a vulnerable kid.
“It was so hard for me to watch," Nelson reportedly told the Monday evening. "He didn't do anything wrong."

Nelson also took to Facebook, seeking justice and posted a message Sunday which described the ordeal and the medical condition of her son.

“My 9-year old son has been diagnosed with autism, ADHD, PTSD, anxiety and depression. In addition, his speech is also limited,” She wrote. “Mrs. Abrams forcefully grabbed my son by the wrist and bent it backward while he was experiencing a meltdown (which he sometimes experiences as part of his diagnoses).”
Following the incident, according to the post, the kid suffered some wrist injuries and an emotional trauma.

“On this same day, I immediately took him to the nearest ER. where X-rays where done on his wrist and tailbone. The doctor diagnosed him with a possible left wrist fracture. Since this, he has also had MRI’s of his wrists done. He had a confirmed sprain in one of his wrists,” wrote Nelson in the post. “In the days following it, he suffered swelling and bruising around his wrist as well.”

Abrams’ trial is due Wednesday with a charge of fourth-degree assault.

We baby boomers often correctly b***h about people today being oversensative. When I went to school a teacher dragging a “problem child” or “little Indian” who was “acting out” would not have been noticed. That this is now considered so scandalous it is national news and the teacher fired and arrested is a good thing.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 10:13 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
We baby boomers often correctly b***h about people today being oversensitive. When I went to school a teacher dragging a “problem child” or “little Indian” who was “acting out” would not have been noticed. That this is now considered so scandalous it is national news and the teacher fired and arrested is a good thing.
When we went to school, a teacher would be applauded for dragging a "problem child" through the hallways, because "obviously the child deserved it".

Then the child would be slapped around by his parents at home.

Then the child would be beaten up by classmates on the way to and from school, as well as on the playground.

Then the child would be forced to endure constant scolding and ridicule from the teacher who dragged him, as well as all of the other teachers until he graduated ... or dropped out ... or attempted suicide ...

:evil: Damned flashbacks ... now I'm shaking ...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 1:20 am

Kentucky teacher seen dragging student with autism down hall pleads not guilty

Quote:
A Kentucky elementary school teacher seen on video dragging a 9-year-old student with autism through a hallway pleaded not guilty Wednesday to misdemeanor assault.

The teacher, Trina Abrams, is due back in court on Feb. 20 for a pretrial hearing, a judge said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 3:17 am

Teachers removed after charges. Kentucky autistic student shoved, taunted in class.

Quote:
A Lincoln County High School teacher and two teacher assistants who were charged with felony second-degree criminal abuse following an altercation with a non-verbal student with autism are no longer in the classroom, Lincoln County Superintendent Michael Rowe said Thursday.

Assistants Janie Hasty and Teresa Sparkman have been fired, effective immediately, and teacher Rebecca Spurlock has been reassigned to a position at the school district’s student support center, essentially the main district office, for the rest of the year, Rowe said.

The school district had completed its initial investigation into allegations of physical abuse of the student, but could not say anything more because other agencies were still investigating

This is at least the fifth incident involving a teacher dragging or laying hands on an autistic student in Kentucky since the school year began in August.

Of the three educators charged in Lincoln, only the criminal summons against Spurlock was immediately available in court records Thursday because only she has received the citation, Lincoln County Attorney Daryl Day said. Police told Day there was a video of the incident, he said.

That summons said the student was walking around the room of a special education class on January 3 when “Janie Hasty starts punching at his head, taunting the student.”

The assistants had the student “in the corner on the ground,” the summons said, “Janie twisted his arm and then pulled him up off the ground and shoved him.”

At one point, Sparkman laughed, according to the summons. When a food cart was brought into the classroom and the student approached it to get his food, Hasty allegedly pushed him down, the summon said, and the student got up by himself.

The summons said that Spurlock was standing with eight or nine students and at no point tried to intervene or stop the incident from happening.