Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2019, 2:21 am

Do you struggle to keep weight off during the cold months? Every year during Christmas time I always gain about 7 to 10 pounds sometimes more because I tend to eat a lot. The weight I gain during the holidays always stays on me until April or May when it starts getting warm outside. It seems like no matter what I do or try winter weight gain is inevitable for me. When I indulge in a lot of food during warmer months I can easily lose the weight within a week. The food that I eat around Christmas usually takes months for me to lose. I will say that I don't go outside as much during winter and I get hungry more. I do have a gym membership but that doesn't even help me lose my winter weight. It only helps me maintain it so I don't gain more. It's very frustrating because I'm usually happy with my weight during the warm months. I wish I could maintain that weight all year long. I'm just wondering if everyone has this problem during colder months.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2019, 11:25 pm

I've actually lost weight so far this winter season. That's because I eat somewhat healthy stuff, jog for a couple miles and do work outside. I weighed in at 210 last year and now down to 180.......progress not perfection!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 12:20 am

that is pretty good work Guitarman :wtg: would that such would work for me, but alas it doesn't. I do core exercises daily [mainly for my recovering back] and walk vigorously up and down the hills where I live, and mind my diet, but so far I seem barely able to keep BMI 25, especially in wintertime when my natural impulse is to just crawl in bed and sleep.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2019, 8:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
that is pretty good work Guitarman :wtg: would that such would work for me, but alas it doesn't. I do core exercises daily [mainly for my recovering back] and walk vigorously up and down the hills where I live, and mind my diet, but so far I seem barely able to keep BMI 25, especially in wintertime when my natural impulse is to just crawl in bed and sleep.

You need my mindset, Auntie! I'm heading out soon to snowshoe for 5 or 6 kilometres in a bit! I always try to get out, especially in winter. I don't overheat in winter like I do in summer. Gee, I wonder why! 8O

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 1:39 pm

When depressed I eat more and gain weight

Where I live, winter is not too cold

Summer is not too hot

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:03 pm

I bought tight fitting new clothes so I've not gained any weight this winter.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:33 am

brightonpete wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You need my mindset, Auntie! I'm heading out soon to snowshoe for 5 or 6 kilometres in a bit! I always try to get out, especially in winter. I don't overheat in winter like I do in summer. Gee, I wonder why! 8O

that sounds like a lot of fun, we don't get enough snow here to do that sorta thing, I would love to try to cross-country ski and snowshoe sometime but it is such a long all-day drive from me [mt. rainier] to do that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:38 am

If it's cold where you live, then it's normal to eat more in winter. You get pretty cold otherwise, I find.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:43 am

I mainly eat more chocolate and consume more caffeine.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2019, 1:10 pm

Almost everyone does, even if we don't eat much more. People tend to be less active during the lower light days of Winter, and thus burn fewer calories. And many people eat more while being social and out of boredom during the colder months.

We've evolved to do this for survival. Put on a few lbs, stay warmer, have energy reserves to burn until crops come up again in the Spring etc.

Even myself.. I'm quite active and strong, but I eat a bit more and a bit unhealthier through the Winter and have probably put on somewhere around 10lbs. But no big deal, the Sun starts to shine and I work longer days, hike the 480 stairs at the beach more often (although I've been there almost every day all Winter lol even though we had the coldest February on record since 1937), go for more runs, work a second job on the weekends, work side jobs, do more pushups and so on. I have a slight tummy from drinking beer and eating food all Winter, but if I get outside and go for my 7-9km run 2-3 times a week I'll slim right back down to near 6 pack territory in maybe a couple months. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2019, 12:03 am

^^while i can't say i keep up with that estimable level, i can say that i did not slack off in the cold months, i wouldn't live in the great green and white northwest if i couldn't handle a bit of cold stuff without going into hibernation.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 2:22 pm

I get a workout from shoveling snow. Doesn't mean I enjoy the shoveling, though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2019, 4:17 pm

Unfortunately yes. However, now that I am back in school, I will visit my school's gym more often given my class meets three times per week instead of the typical two times.