High-functioning Autistic Celebrities

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:34 am

^^

Great story. I didn't know that. Thanks :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 2:43 pm

abrett1960 wrote:
These are some of the people I suspect of being undiagnosed aspies;
Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lawrence
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Sadie Toksvig (QI presenter)
Daniel Radcliffe
Michael Mcintyre (comedian)
Catherine Tate
Maggie Smith
Adam Young (Owl City)
Heechul (Super Junior)

Possibly Brat Pitt and Benedict Cummberbatch

Do you think they might be, what’s your opinion? Please really think about it because I really think they might be.

Any reason why you think any of these people have autism?

Leonardo Dicaprio says he has OCD, someone on Aspiesforfreedom (now defunct) said they met Johnny Depp at Disney World and he says he does not have it but has symptoms.

Daryl Hannah has not really talked about her autism and all she keeps describing is social anxiety. She mentioned she would rock in her crib.

I know Steven Spielberg has it because I read he was diagnosed with it even though he has never been out with it in the media but it's all over on the internet about him having it and I heard in my group he was actually diagnosed.

I heard about Courtney Love having it and being diagnosed but some just speculate it was all drug related and she isn't autistic.

I heard somewhere about Enimen having it and I can't remember if he has been out with it.

Daniel Radcliff has dyspraxia.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 5:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
abrett1960 wrote:
Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lawrence
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Daniel Radcliffe
Catherine Tate
Maggie Smith
Adam Young (Owl City)
Heechul (Super Junior)

Do you think they might be, what’s your opinion? Please really think about it because I really think they might be.

Any reason why you think any of these people have autism?

Leonardo Dicaprio says he has OCD, someone on Aspiesforfreedom (now defunct) said they met Johnny Depp at Disney World and he says he does not have it but has symptoms.

Daryl Hannah has not really talked about her autism and all she keeps describing is social anxiety. She mentioned she would rock in her crib.

I know Steven Spielberg has it because I read he was diagnosed with it even though he has never been out with it in the media but it's all over on the internet about him having it and I heard in my group he was actually diagnosed.

I heard about Courtney Love having it and being diagnosed but some just speculate it was all drug related and she isn't autistic.

I heard somewhere about Enimen having it and I can't remember if he has been out with it.

Daniel Radcliff has dyspraxia.

A number of autobiographies have mentioned that Courtney Love was either told by a psychologist she had autistic traits or was diagnosed at age 9.

Eninem has a released a couple of songs which Aspergers was used in the first person. That is not proof. Characters in songs can be autobiographical or a composite of different people they know.

As far as I am concerned "a lot of people said on the internet" is speculation (which is on topic for this thread) and proof of absolutely nothing.

As I linked to earlier in the thread Daryl Hannah has talked publicly about her childhood diagnosis.

Sir Anthony Hopkins has publicly discussed his Aspergers diagnosis

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:21 pm

She is still describing social anxiety in that article.

I forgot to include Dan Akroyd has said he has it but claims to be diagnosed AS as a child. How is that possible? It wasn't coined until 1981 and very few doctors knew about it in the world.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

Anyone else think (purely speculation but far from the worst thing said about him) that Michael Jackson might have been?

Whatever was going on, I think he had a younger mental age than his actual age (almost like a child) and it made him too trusting and easy to be taken advantage of and it meant he didn't have a filter about the sorts of things he said and how it might come across so he said something literally and people would see it as something else so he thought that sleeping with meant actually being asleep in the same room as someone for eg...

Doesn't mean he was autistic, though, it might have just been how his bad childhood turned him or he might have had mental problems or learning difficulties.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:11 pm

It's interesting though how people do turn out after having f****d up childhoods. Some end up with C-PTSD or with cluster B disorders or some end up as criminals or end up as being a pedophile due to sexual abuse, some end up being child like or an infantilist.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 7:15 pm

abrett1960 wrote:
Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lawrence
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Daniel Radcliffe
Catherine Tate
Maggie Smith
Adam Young (Owl City)
Heechul (Super Junior)

Hmmm some of these actually make sense now that I think about it....

Since theres probably not many people who know who Heechul is I'll comment for him. Now that Im thinking hard, there are certain aspects that are similar, but personally I think Heechul is way to social and comfortable to truly be on the spectrum. He is a great MC and I love him on Knowing Brothers. He's funny, witty, smart, entertaining, savage, kind, a total mom, and never afraid to look silly- variety show gold. He has a LOT of connections tho and seems to be friends with everyone. He is a bit quirky-something that almost every fan knows about him-tho so.....maybe, but that might just be him. Lee Soo Man himself told Heechul there will never be another him. I dont know him too too well tho since I mostly follow girl groups.
(Also I cant believe I found another kpop fan! Annyeonghaseyo!)

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 9:41 pm

One famous musician who was diagnosed with AS, as well as Tourette's, is James Durbin, who made it up to the Top 4 on American Idol's 10th season and is currently the lead singer of Quiet Riot.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 10:34 pm

Anthony Hopkins and Daryl Hannah are both diagnosed. Also, I think, Courtney Love.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm

Yes. Don't know about Courtney Love, but I know that Hopkins was officially diagnosed, and I had the impression that Hannah had been as well.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 1:10 am

League_Girl wrote:
She is still describing social anxiety in that article.

I forgot to include Dan Akroyd has said he has it but claims to be diagnosed AS as a child. How is that possible? It wasn't coined until 1981 and very few doctors knew about it in the world.

It is not possible because it did not happen. In this youtube video (starting at 11:45) he says he is self-diagnosed.

He changed his story, his Asperger claim has no credibility with me. I suspect he used our neurology as a publicity stunt.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

abrett1960
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2019, 8:02 am

Also David Mitchell, I forgot to add him.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:11 am

abrett1960 wrote:

Which one? The comedian or the writer? I can see cases for both.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2019, 8:25 am

Becoming a celebrity requires not only a lot of talent, but also people skills: who-knows-who, fraternizing, making the right connections.

The OP's list is already TOO long. To think that that many famous actors and actresses are Autistic is ludicrous. I'm sure it's possible one or two make it, but that's way too many people in a field that requires way too much social interaction.

How many Aspies were popular in school? Being a celebrity is often being a winner in the biggest popularity contest on Earth. Very, very few autistics will win in this contest.

abrett1960
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2019, 8:30 am

graceksjp wrote:
abrett1960 wrote:
Angelina Jolie
Jennifer Lawrence
Johnny Depp
Leonardo DiCaprio
Daniel Radcliffe
Catherine Tate
Maggie Smith
Adam Young (Owl City)
Heechul (Super Junior)

Hmmm some of these actually make sense now that I think about it....

Since theres probably not many people who know who Heechul is I'll comment for him. Now that Im thinking hard, there are certain aspects that are similar, but personally I think Heechul is way to social and comfortable to truly be on the spectrum. He is a great MC and I love him on Knowing Brothers. He's funny, witty, smart, entertaining, savage, kind, a total mom, and never afraid to look silly- variety show gold. He has a LOT of connections tho and seems to be friends with everyone. He is a bit quirky-something that almost every fan knows about him-tho so.....maybe, but that might just be him. Lee Soo Man himself told Heechul there will never be another him. I dont know him too too well tho since I mostly follow girl groups.
(Also I cant believe I found another kpop fan! Annyeonghaseyo!)

Annyeonghaseyo!
I'm pretty certain that Heechul is an Aspie. As to him being very social, perhaps even overly so is something I've seen in other autistics. I find that some autistics are very extroverted with their general behaviour and this type of aspie is usually less likely to be diagnosed. You also have to take into account that he has in the past lived in a dorm with up to 15 other men and then after that done his mandatory military enlistment as a soldier for 2yrs so he would have had a huge amount of practice for his social skills. He was also trained for yrs before his debut and it's a huge part of his job to be friendly and courteous so I guess he's just a really successful aspie who when undiagnosed.

What do you think? Any other Kpop Aspies you can think of?

abrett1960
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2019, 8:34 am

TUF wrote:
abrett1960 wrote:

Which one? The comedian or the writer? I can see cases for both.

I meant the comedian, it just seems really obvious when you've seem him a lot on 'Would I Lie To You'.